This Team Isn't Finishing

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think they are facts and not excuses especially early on

Whether fact,excuses,opinions or written in stone it does not matter. We are what our record says we are and regardless it is not acceptable.  Will we right it next year and beyond I believe so but I am not going to bury my head in the sand and just let it be. There is a reason you have 13 scholarship and at times we only had 6 or 7 healthy bodies.  I get all of it. We use those excuses when it benefits our situation and we hammer others when they do.

Games Started this season

Romeo  - 27 (freshman)

Juwan - 27 (Senior)

Durham - 22 (Sophomore)

Smith - 24 (Sophomore)

Phinesee - 21 (Freshman)

Green - 6 (Junior)

McRoberts - 5 (Senior)

Davis - 3 (Junior)

Now, if we want to talk Freshmen starters, maybe we should talk about Duke.  But, Duke's freshmen aren't very good.  :coffee:

25 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Although true they are still excuses. We hammer other teams when they use those exact arguments. I have always said "excuses are like buttholes, everyone has them and they all stink" when it's all said and done it's about wins and losees.

If all you're looking at are the two numbers for Ws and Ls, you're really not getting anywhere near the full picture for any team. If that's truly your measurement, then I hope you weren't complaining when FCTC was scheduling 300+ RPI cupcakes on the schedule, because that certainly meant a higher number in one of your two numbers. 

Injuries have been a major factor this year, not just in lack of productive bodies on the court, but also with respect to the toll it has taken on those who are healthy - look at the number of minutes that were being logged when we were really thin on health earlier in the year. You can also factor in lack of continuity into that, among other things. It's not an excuse because of the quantity and quality of them - there's been an unusual amount of both. 

21 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Anderson started when Green and Durham could not ,for one !

Out of the 3 games Green was suspended, we started the combination of Morgan/Smith/Romeo/Rob/McRoberts twice, and Morgan/Smith/Romeo/Rob/Durham once. 

The only game Durham has missed was Chicago State, and McRoberts started again. 

When Rob was out, both Green and Durham were both available and two out of Green/Durham/McRoberts started. 

37 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

If all you're looking at are the two numbers for Ws and Ls, you're really not getting anywhere near the full picture for any team. If that's truly your measurement, then I hope you weren't complaining when FCTC was scheduling 300+ RPI cupcakes on the schedule, because that certainly meant a higher number in one of your two numbers. 

Injuries have been a major factor this year, not just in lack of productive bodies on the court, but also with respect to the toll it has taken on those who are healthy - look at the number of minutes that were being logged when we were really thin on health earlier in the year. You can also factor in lack of continuity into that, among other things. It's not an excuse because of the quantity and quality of them - there's been an unusual amount of both. 

I understand every single bit of it. I would love for us to be a top 10 team every year but know that is not reality.  At no point should Indiana University miss the tournament 3 years in a row. I dont know if any team has had to overcome as many injuries as we have endured and gone on to be successful but many are still finding ways to win. We are not!! There is more to wins and losses and at other schools that might be fine but it's not acceptable here, actually it is and that is the problem. 

Anyone who feels that we are a blue blood are delusional I have defended our rich basketball tradition but cant any more. Can we return to glory I sure as heck hope so. We could argue that we are 3rd or 4th program in the state. For me that us embarrassing. We love to pull the little brother Purdue routine but I as much as I despise Purdue am envious of what they are doing. If anyone thinks that Purdue roster is better than ours that's crazy. Yet they are at the top and we are about to have our worst conference finish in the history of our program

As far as the cupcakes that has no bearing we were 12-2. We had plenty non conference wins. In fact the only reason anyone takking about us and the tourney is because of those good wins. To be honest I just want to be in the tourney every year. Then we what happens from there

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He didn't.  He may have started the second half once.  

Is it possible HTD is mistaking Green and Smith for freshmen? Cause they certainly play like it.

In all reality, I wish we started 3 freshmen cause that would've meant Hunter. Unfortunately, we have a junior (who has started some games) and a sophmore (who started most games until recently) that play like they're still in high school -- for this reason and others -- I'm almost certain Archie was planning to start Hunter this year...

23 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I understand every single bit of it. I would love for us to be a top 10 team every year but know that is not reality.  At no point should Indiana University miss the tournament 3 years in a row. I dont know if any team has had to overcome as many injuries as we have endured and gone on to be successful but many are still finding ways to win. We are not!! There is more to wins and losses and at other schools that might be fine but it's not acceptable here, actually it is and that is the problem. 

Anyone who feels that we are a blue blood are delusional I have defended our rich basketball tradition but cant any more. Can we return to glory I sure as heck hope so. We could argue that we are 3rd or 4th program in the state. For me that us embarrassing. We love to pull the little brother Purdue routine but I as much as I despise Purdue am envious of what they are doing. If anyone thinks that Purdue roster is better than ours that's crazy. Yet they are at the top and we are about to have our worst conference finish in the history of our program

As far as the cupcakes that has no bearing we were 12-2. We had plenty non conference wins. In fact the only reason anyone takking about us and the tourney is because of those good wins. To be honest I just want to be in the tourney every year. Then we what happens from there

I'm not sure what your point is here. I was simply responding to your contention that injuries are just an excuse, and you clearly missed my point on scheduling cupcakes to improve that W-L record that you think is the only important stat. Do I really need to go over the injuries and the effect they've had? If you're saying that they're being used as an excuse, then I don't think you're truly understanding the significance of them at all, particularly when you're comparing our situation to Purdue's. Other than Dowuona, they haven't lost anyone for any significant amount of time.

19 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm not sure what your point is here. I was simply responding to your contention that injuries are just an excuse, and you clearly missed my point on scheduling cupcakes to improve that W-L record that you think is the only important stat. Do I really need to go over the injuries and the effect they've had? If you're saying that they're being used as an excuse, then I don't think you're truly understanding the significance of them at all, particularly when you're comparing our situation to Purdue's. Other than Dowuona, they haven't lost anyone for any significant amount of time.

It's still an excuse. 100% true those injuries played a major role for sure. I believe the loss of practice time and competitive reps killed us. Come selection Sunday 68 teams will be called and 3rd time in a row Indiana will not be one. Legit excuses or not its unacceptable. 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It's still an excuse. 100% true those injuries played a major role for sure. I believe the loss of practice time and competitive reps killed us. Come selection Sunday 68 teams will be called and 3rd time in a row Indiana will not be one. Legit excuses or not its unacceptable. 

You do realize that saying it's an excuse, then saying that it's a legit excuse, and then saying that it's unacceptable are kinda contradictory, right?

54 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Is it possible HTD is mistaking Green and Smith for freshmen? Cause they certainly play like it.

In all reality, I wish we started 3 freshmen cause that would've meant Hunter. Unfortunately, we have a junior (who has started some games) and a sophmore (who started most games until recently) that play like they're still in high school -- for this reason and others -- I'm almost certain Archie was planning to start Hunter this year...

HTD is just getting old.......I wonder if he has any eligibility left.  Suit him up!

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

So it is our birth right to make the tournament every year or are we entitled to it LOL!

19 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

You do realize that saying it's an excuse, then saying that it's a legit excuse, and then saying that it's unacceptable are kinda contradictory, right?

Not at all. The injuries are legit. Not winning games and saying it's due to injuries is most definitely an excuse. 

We have lost 9 conference games by single digits. If you are within 10 pts you are in the game in most cases. We had leads late in many. Yet we are not winning any of those games. I am just asking to find a way to get a W. I believe even with all the injuries had we not had to real with chemistry issues we are a tourney team. 

Our fan base over the past 20 years is more about  making excuses for our team than anything else.  We have accepted being ok or worse.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not at all. The injuries are legit. Not winning games and saying it's due to injuries is most definitely an excuse. 

We have lost 9 conference games by single digits. If you are within 10 pts you are in the game in most cases. We had leads late in many. Yet we are not winning any of those games. I am just asking to find a way to get a W. I believe even with all the injuries had we not had to real with chemistry issues we are a tourney team. 

Our fan base over the past 20 years is more about  making excuses for our team than anything else.  We have accepted being ok or worse.

I can't guarantee it but if Hunter, Race and Davis was fully healthy this year then we would not be in this situation.  Also RP was starting to take control of the PG position when he got hurt so that slowed down his development.   I ALSO HATE WHEM FANS SAY WE ARE SETTLING FOR MEDIOCRITY BECAUSE THERE REALLY ISN'T MUCH WE CAN DO AS FANS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So it is our birth right to make the tournament every year or are we entitled to it LOL!

It should be the minimum expectation. I figured out what Indiana University basketball is right now. We are the over weight balding non successful guy that shows up at the class reunion wearing his Letterman's jacket with all the patches on it talking about the glory days and remember when. Anytime someone wants to discuss the past 20 years he tells all the EXCUSES of why he did not succeed whose fault it was , who was to blame why he didnt get promoted why his wife left but says remember the game when I scored 5 touchdowns and was homecoming king and was banging all the cheerleaders.  We are the AL BUNDY of college basketball 

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I can't guarantee it but if Hunter, Race and Davis was fully healthy this year then we would not be in this situation.  Also RP was starting to take control of the PG position when he got hurt so that slowed down his development.

So selection committee will say that we are in based on the fact we had a lot of injuries.  We were in enough games this year to find ways to win and could not get it done. 

Archived