This Team Isn't Finishing

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

So selection committee will say that we are in based on the fact we had a lot of injuries.  We were in enough games this year to find ways to win and could not get it done. 

Who said that but it is the reason why we are not in the position to be playing in the tournament.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It should be the minimum expectation. I figured out what Indiana University basketball is right now. We are the over weight balding non successful guy that shows up at the class reunion wearing his Letterman's jacket with all the patches on it talking about the glory days and remember when. Anytime someone wants to discuss the past 20 years he tells all the EXCUSES of why he did not succeed whose fault it was , who was to blame why he didnt get promoted why his wife left but says remember the game when I scored 5 touchdowns and was homecoming king and was banging all the cheerleaders.  We are the AL BUNDY of college basketball 

So if you are so pissed off that we are not playing up to your expectations then what are you doing to make sure it doesn't happen again since we should not settle. LOL!

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I can't guarantee it but if Hunter, Race and Davis was fully healthy this year then we would not be in this situation.  Also RP was starting to take control of the PG position when he got hurt so that slowed down his development.   I ALSO HATE WHEM FANS SAY WE ARE SETTLING FOR MEDIOCRITY BECAUSE THERE REALLY ISN'T MUCH WE CAN DO AS FANS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

we have settled because we continue to make all the excuses to those outside of our fanbase. My friends from other schools after every loss for years now email me text me so what will the IU excuses be this time.

I have a buddy that is not a college basketball fan but knows the game well. Sent me a message all caps. You got blown out at home against freaking Nebraska are you serious. 

I was one of them making all the excuses for The Movement and Creans antics and Davis over head blah blah blah but with our fan base it never stops. This year I have concluded we suck and I can accept the outcome instead of making excuses of why we suck. I can hope that next year is better.

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not at all. The injuries are legit. Not winning games and saying it's due to injuries is most definitely an excuse. 

We have lost 9 conference games by single digits. If you are within 10 pts you are in the game in most cases. We had leads late in many. Yet we are not winning any of those games. I am just asking to find a way to get a W. I believe even with all the injuries had we not had to real with chemistry issues we are a tourney team. 

Our fan base over the past 20 years is more about  making excuses for our team than anything else.  We have accepted being ok or worse.

Well, I'll make this easy for you. I think we'd all agree that this team has been missing a guy that can knock down the occasional 3, scramble for 50/50 balls, and who has a decent basketball IQ. Know who was a senior this year that could do all those things? McBob. Know who hasn't been healthy all year? McBob. Add in losing our PG for over a month, two of our best recruits, Davis, Al messing up his finger, JMo's shoulder, and a number of other things, and it all adds up to a major problem, and a legit reason for these results.

The problem you have is you're lumping in this current year's issues with the 20+ years of struggles this program has had. They aren't related. At all. Archie isn't to blame for the admin going zero tolerance with RMK, or bowing to pressure to hire Davis, or Sampson cheating, or Crean's inability to figure out a 2-3 zone. He's been on the job for less than 2 years, and not making the tournament for those 2 years is acceptable in this situation, based on all of the factors involved, including the injuries this year. None of us are happy about it, but your unwillingness to accept valid reasons for the current situation and expecting everything to be exactly like it was 30 years ago is part of the problem with this fan base. 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

we have settled because we continue to make all the excuses to those outside of our fanbase. My friends from other schools after every loss for years now email me text me so what will the IU excuses be this time.

I have a buddy that is not a college basketball fan but knows the game well. Sent me a message all caps. You got blown out at home against freaking Nebraska are you serious. 

I was one of them making all the excuses for The Movement and Creans antics and Davis over head blah blah blah but with our fan base it never stops. This year I have concluded we suck and I can accept the outcome instead of making excuses of why we suck. I can hope that next year is better.

So tell me what you have done to stop us from being so bad since you think the fans have influence on this.  You just come off sounding like a spoiled little rich kid who did not get his way and couldn't go on his skit trip with Buffy and Biff.

12 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, I'll make this easy for you. I think we'd all agree that this team has been missing a guy that can knock down the occasional 3, scramble for 50/50 balls, and who has a decent basketball IQ. Know who was a senior this year that could do all those things? McBob. Know who hasn't been healthy all year? McBob. Add in losing our PG for over a month, two of our best recruits, Davis, Al messing up his finger, JMo's shoulder, and a number of other things, and it all adds up to a major problem, and a legit reason for these results.

The problem you have is you're lumping in this current year's issues with the 20+ years of struggles this program has had. They aren't related. At all. Archie isn't to blame for the admin going zero tolerance with RMK, or bowing to pressure to hire Davis, or Sampson cheating, or Crean's inability to figure out a 2-3 zone. He's been on the job for less than 2 years, and not making the tournament for those 2 years is acceptable in this situation, based on all of the factors involved, including the injuries this year. None of us are happy about it, but your unwillingness to accept valid reasons for the current situation and expecting everything to be exactly like it was 30 years ago is part of the problem with this fan base. 

Ok. We can agree to disagree. I do believe CAM is the guy but I wont continue the 20 years of excuses.  I have accepted we are bad and can only hope it gets better. This year I have really started noticing just how obnoxious and elitist many of our fans are and at this point we have nothing to back that up with. I dont mean on this board just general fans. 

Ok. We can agree to disagree. I do believe CAM is the guy but I wont continue the 20 years of excuses.  I have accepted we are bad and can only hope it gets better. This year I have really started noticing just how obnoxious and elitist many of our fans are and at this point we have nothing to back that up with. I dont mean on this board just general fans. 

That is funny because you are the on coming off as entitled.  Just because we were  one of the top programs 30 years ago does not guarantee that we will be now.  The last time we won a championship coach K still had not won a championship yet and would still be 6 more years until he won one.  Everything about the college game is different and there is a lot more parity today so there are more teams vying for the best recruits.  Recruiting is more  national now that it use to when it was more regionally so this make it harder for us since more teams will come ion and try to get the best from the state and the Midwest.

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So if you are so pissed off that we are not playing up to your expectations then what are you doing to make sure it doesn't happen again since we should not settle. LOL!

I am stopping the excuses and lowering the expectations.  If all goes well we will be with the ISU and Balll States of the world.

20 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

McBob?  You have to be kidding.  I love playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end of the court.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is funny because you are the on coming off as entitled.  Just because we were  one of the top programs 30 years ago does not guarantee that we will be now.  The last time we won a championship coach K still had not won a championship yet and would still be 6 more years until he won one.  Everything about the college game is different and there is a lot more parity today so there are more teams vying for the best recruits.  Recruiting is more  national now that it use to when it was more regionally so this make it harder for us since more teams will come ion and try to get the best from the state and the Midwest.

All true. I was selfish and elitist and thought the name on the front of the Jersey garnered 20 wins by itself. I hate PU and take shots when I can but for many years we have not had a lot to brag about. I was first in line to get my WE'RE BACK shirt and believed it. Watching good basketball the majority of my life left me with a feeling of entitlement. No more we are what we are and it is not top tier in the conference let alone the country. I will temper my expectations and stop making excuses. I will cheer just as hard as I have for 40 years 

1 minute ago, rico said:

McBob?  You have to be kidding.  I love playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end of the court.

That just shows me that you weren't paying attention last year. He shot almost 40% from 3 then. What's the one thing we've needed desperately this year? Someone to knock down a wide open 3 here and there. Of all the injuries, that's the one people have ignored the most, and is probably the one that has been the biggest loss.

All true. I was selfish and elitist and thought the name on the front of the Jersey garnered 20 wins by itself. I hate PU and take shots when I can but for many years we have not had a lot to brag about. I was first in line to get my WE'RE BACK shirt and believed it. Watching good basketball the majority of my life left me with a feeling of entitlement. No more we are what we are and it is not top tier in the conference let alone the country. I will temper my expectations and stop making excuses. I will cheer just as hard as I have for 40 years 

Calm down there B99.....you know how Scott is.  Don't let him bother you.

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

That just shows me that you weren't paying attention last year. He shot almost 40% from 3 then. What's the one thing we've needed desperately this year? Someone to knock down a wide open 3 here and there. Of all the injuries, that's the one people have ignored the most, and is probably the one that has been the biggest loss.

13-33........averaged, now get this, a blistering 2.8 ppg.  Yeah, you're right I didn't pay attention.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The voice of reason. Thank you sir. One of those days. I guess. Think I gonna wait in line 45 min for some chick fill a

LOL, it all good.  I would have responded earlier but Mom was here chewing my ear about how IU sucked.

1 minute ago, rico said:

13-33........averaged, now get this, a blistering 2.8 ppg.  Yeah, you're right I didn't pay attention.

Yes, because stats tell the whole story. Not worth even going into it since you can't see the value of what McBob brings to the table, particularly as a senior on a team that starts two freshmen, can't hit open shots, and has struggled to close out games. Keep crunching those numbers, though.

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yes, because stats tell the whole story. Not worth even going into it since you can't see the value of what McBob brings to the table, particularly as a senior on a team that starts two freshmen, can't hit open shots, and has struggled to close out games. Keep crunching those numbers, though.

You crunched them to begin with.  McBob is an offensive liability, I guess you haven't been paying attention.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

You crunched them to begin with.  McBob is an offensive liability, I guess you haven't been paying attention.

Ok, why don't you show me where I actually used numbers to show his worth?  You don't really seem to understand that someone's not an offensive liability if they can hit shots, but they choose not to shoot because there is better offensive talent on the court.

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Ok, why don't you show me where I actually used numbers to show his worth?  You don't really seem to understand that someone's not an offensive liability if they can hit shots, but they choose not to shoot because there is better offensive talent on the court.

And I quote from you above.....

He shot almost 40% from 3?  Is that a number or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

If you are good enough to play with a couple of scores then why are we not good enough to close the deal.EXCUSES>RESULTS 

Injuries reduce depth.  Lack of depth leads to fatigue, even in the best conditioned players.  Our top 6-7 guys were good enough to hang with their top 8-9 for 36-37 minutes, but were gassed by the end. 

1 minute ago, rico said:

And I quote from you above.....

He shot almost 40% from 3?  Is that a number or am I missing something?

Fair enough, but with that stat, I'm showing that opponents would have to respect his shooting ability, not throwing out his scoring average which is, frankly, irrelevant. That opens up the paint and spaces the court - basically the opposite of when we have Justin in there. Again, just because McBob didn't choose to shoot last year didn't make him an offensive liability. Opponents would have still had to respect his shot this year. You can laugh all you want and call him an offensive liability without looking further into his game, but he was a significant loss this season.

Archived