Archie Miller's Greatest Challenge

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great article. Considering Mr. Langford's glowing comments from last weekend, I really liked that last sentence: 

But while he’ll have lots of competition, Miller surely knows how to approach Langford. “Whether you do or do not talk to Jim Shannon, that’s not changing your chances of getting Romeo,” the Midwestern analyst says. “You’ve got to talk to his father.”

Also, interesting but not surprising info on Crean. 

32 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Good article.  And who is the 8th grader that Coach Keefer is talking about giving his varsity fits ?  The next Damon Bailey ?

Archie Miller's Greatest Challenge - Indianapolis Monthly

Most likely referring to Kamari Lands, who attends my middle school alma mater, Fall Creek Valley, which feeds into LN.

https://future150.com/jr/basketball-profiles/kamari-lands-sf-indianapolis-in-2022

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Most likely referring to Kamari Lands, who attends my middle school alma mater, Fall Creek Valley, which feeds into LN.

https://future150.com/jr/basketball-profiles/kamari-lands-sf-indianapolis-in-2022

Thanks DJ ! Gonna start keeping an eye on him.  I started following Branden Dawson, when he was in Biddy Basketball on a tip from a friend. And De'Ron Davis when he was in 8th grade.  Just a note on De'Ron from HH.  I loved his announcement.  Finally some one got it correct as to where De'Ron is from. Probably no one noticed. But I did.  De'Ron is from the Park Hill section of Denver. He went to Overland High School in Aurora, Colorado. To follow his AAU coach.  Open enrollment in Colorado allows for that.  If there was no open enrollment, and De'Ron did not follow his AAU coach to Overland, he would have gone to Denver East.... the same school that produced Chauncey Billups. 

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks DJ ! Gonna start keeping an eye on him.  I started following Branden Dawson, when he was in Biddy Basketball on a tip from a friend. And De'Ron Davis when he was in 8th grade.  Just a note on De'Ron from HH.  I loved his announcement.  Finally some one got it correct as to where De'Ron is from. Probably no one noticed. But I did.  De'Ron is from the Park Hill section of Denver. He went to Overland High School in Aurora, Colorado. To follow his AAU coach.  Open enrollment in Colorado allows for that.  If there was no open enrollment, and De'Ron did not follow his AAU coach to Overland, he would have gone to Denver East.... the same school that produced Chauncey Billups. 

No problem. And thanks for sharing the link. That was a great read. Makes me even more confident we have the right man leading the program.

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

It’s definately Kamari.  The kid (and I hate to say this already) will be a top player in his class if not THE stop player.  Thanks for sharing Mile, great read!

You are welcome ! I found the article full on interesting details. Many of which we don't normally hear about.  And definitely gonna start following Kamari, now.

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I remember on the old board when we shared some of what was said about Crean in that article and nobody wanted to believe it. Basically the High School coaches in Indiana think he’s a weirdo. Lol.  We have the right guy now though!

Who you calling a wierdo ?

CFAEU7dUgAEIPEr.jpg:large

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I remember on the old board when we shared some of what was said about Crean in that article and nobody wanted to believe it. Basically the High School coaches in Indiana think he’s a weirdo. Lol.  We have the right guy now though!

True... but that article is about how Crean's relationships with high school coaches (good or bad) had little to do with recruiting successes/failures.

But yes, very happy with Archie!

10 hours ago, jimsorgi said:

True... but that article is about how Crean's relationships with high school coaches (good or bad) had little to do with recruiting successes/failures.

But yes, very happy with Archie!

I read it read it differently, and it had a lot

to do with his recruiting in Indiana.  Very few, and I mean very few even wanted him on their high school campus.

Recruiting is such a delicate work (I'd say it's an art), and coaching staff has to handle various types of people and their egos and emotions. IMO, anything can help or hurt recruiting. If a kid respects his high school coach, and his coach's not fond of IU coach for good reasons, of course coach's words can have some weight on kid's college decision.

Parents these days can have abundant information from internet or other communication channels while back in 80's or even in early 90's, parents and kids had to listen to high school coaches due to overall lack of information. The writer didn't say this explicitly, but if I read between the lines, availability of information at low cost shifted the power from high school coaches to parents. 

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

I read it read it differently, and it had a lot

to do with his recruiting in Indiana.  Very few, and I mean very few even wanted him on their high school campus.

I'm not sure how the article could be read any differently since it goes out of the way to make the point that high school coaches are largely irrelevant to recruits decision making. It also suggests the same about AAU coaches albeit less strongly. 

I have little doubt that high school coaches didn't/don't want anyone around that doesn't pay proper homage to their little fiefdoms but let's cut the crap about the reason being Crean's weirdness. He was no more weird at the end than he was when he first came here and these rumors didn't start circling until the "Movement" class had completed it's implosion. The implosion from that class and the fallout from it is what started this. It must have been very "weird" for those recruits to have been held accountable for something, likely for the first time ever in the cases of Ron Patterson and Devin Davis. 

1. The article says HS coaches thought Crean was weird.

2. The article says the opinion of HS coaches doesn't matter that much anymore.

3. The article says the opinion of parents is much more important now.

4. The article says parents didn't like Crean.

These points aren't really open to interpretation. They are laid out in black and white.

6 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

I'm not sure how the article could be read any differently since it goes out of the way to make the point that high school coaches are largely irrelevant to recruits decision making. It also suggests the same about AAU coaches albeit less strongly. 

I have little doubt that high school coaches didn't/don't want anyone around that doesn't pay proper homage to their little fiefdoms but let's cut the crap about the reason being Crean's weirdness. He was no more weird at the end than he was when he first came here and these rumors didn't start circling until the "Movement" class had completed it's implosion. The implosion from that class and the fallout from it is what started this. It must have been very "weird" for those recruits to have been held accountable for something, likely for the first time ever in the cases of Ron Patterson and Devin Davis. 

Lol, sure ok....

Here is what I know. I know that IU had a zero percent shot at Romeo when Crean was the coach. With Archie as the coach, IU has a legitimate chance.  Now, granted that is just one player. But I think it does highlight that there is a different vibe than what was here under Crean. These are recruits from Indiana.  Whatever the reason they are looking at IU now when they were not previously. And that is a good thing.

So I have no inside knowledge of how recruiting works etc... so this is just purely my opinion. While these high school coaches may not have the influence they had before on where to go, they may still have influence on where not to go. 

If your a top prospect High School kid and your talking to your coach about a handful of schools your interested in and he says something to the effect of he thinks they would all be great for him, but he isn’t a fan of Crean, or something to that effect. I could see how that could influence a kid to be wary of that school when other similar options are available. I could definitely see how a coach may not be able to push you to a school, but may be able to steer you away from one. 

Again, this is totally conjecture, I’m not claiming to have inside knowledge. Just my theory. 

Archived