Archie Miller's Greatest Challenge

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

1. The article says HS coaches thought Crean was weird.

2. The article says the opinion of HS coaches doesn't matter that much anymore.

3. The article says the opinion of parents is much more important now.

4. The article says parents didn't like Crean.

These points aren't really open to interpretation. They are laid out in black and white.

Yep.

The article makes an interesting argument regarding why HS coaches didn't like Crean, why that didn't matter, and why parents (and recruits) didn't like Crean - different reasons than HS coaches (not simply about him being weird or off-putting).

Certainly reasonable to disagree with the article regarding the importance (or unimportance) of relationships with high school coaches. My speculation would be that the truth is somewhere in between.

4 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I read it read it differently, and it had a lot

to do with his recruiting in Indiana.  Very few, and I mean very few even wanted him on their high school campus.

This is a direct quote from the article:

"Crean’s struggles had very little to do with Indiana’s high school coaches"

I only know one way to read that sentence.

I'm not going to be surprised if Archie lands Romeo and/or the other kid ( Garland or Granger)  ,  i do not remember off the top of my head the CORRECT last name !! I only remember for sure that it starts with a G @!!  Archie's already got IU's 2018 recruiting Class RATED PRETTY HIGH ! Go " Archie & The Gang " !!! ONLY THREE more days !! ONLY 3 more days !!  It's getting closer for " Archie & The Gang "  time !!!

4 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I'm not going to be surprised if Archie lands Romeo and/or the other kid ( Garland or Granger)  ,  i do not remember off the top of my head the CORRECT last name !! I only remember for sure that it starts with a G @!!  Archie's already got IU's 2018 recruiting Class RATED PRETTY HIGH ! Go " Archie & The Gang " !!! ONLY THREE more days !! ONLY 3 more days !!  It's getting closer for " Archie & The Gang "  time !!!

GARLAND

8 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I was just wondering with how excited you are for the season are you able to listen to the game where you live.

I enjoyed the article, but frankly found it odd and a bit amateurish.  There are some good anecdotes and references, but the way it tried to take a position and argue a premise was silly.  Brian Snow may be his source here because he likes to create false premises and generalizations, and this looks like classic Snow influence.  

In short, these sweeping, broad notions about times changing are silly.  That's a perspective and it was strange that the article tries to argue the point and "present the case" instead of just giving information.  At the end of the day, every recruiting circumstance is its own animal and that always has been the case.  Sure, sometimes the parents shut out the high school coach, yet other times the high school coach can provide input due to connections.  This is exactly how it was in the 1980s and it is still that way now.  There is no absolute in the real world by any stretch.

4 hours ago, Shooter said:

This is a direct quote from the article:

"Crean’s struggles had very little to do with Indiana’s high school coaches"

I only know one way to read that sentence.

That was just one coaches opinion, and if he wouldn’t get mentioned I’m sure it would have been a different statement

4 hours ago, jimsorgi said:

Yep.

The article makes an interesting argument regarding why HS coaches didn't like Crean, why that didn't matter, and why parents (and recruits) didn't like Crean - different reasons than HS coaches (not simply about him being weird or off-putting).

Certainly reasonable to disagree with the article regarding the importance (or unimportance) of relationships with high school coaches. My speculation would be that the truth is somewhere in between.

Somewhere in between I can agree with. I know 3 of the best coaches in Indiana, Keefer being one can’t stand the guy.  Keefer use to refer to him as Tommy Naismith...

4 hours ago, rico said:

I will re-iterate it was a good article and a good read.  But as far as the Crean aspect, does it really matter now?  He is gone and we have a new man in charge.  Time to move on and look forward to the future.

Valid point, I’ll take blame for somewhat beating a dead horse.  I need to focus on what we have, and what we have is a dynamite, young, head coach.

4 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Valid point, I’ll take blame for somewhat beating a dead horse.  I need to focus on what we have, and what we have is a dynamite, young, head coach.

There is no use rehashing Crean's tenure at IU.  It was what it was from all kinds of aspects.

47 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I believe there is a positive we can take from the disdain some prep coaches developed over time with Coach Crean.  And no better example than Coach Keefer.  The very same Coach Keefer who holds a masters degree from IU.  The very same Coach Keefer who is a legend among legends of Indiana prep coaches.  And the same Coach Keefer, who I recall at one time grew cold towards IU, because of Crean. 

The positive is this.  Coach Keefer is rid of Coach Crean, and has established an amicable relationship with Coach Miller.  Very significant in my opinion.  From two perspectives. One.... Coach Keefer will be talking highly of IU to his kids, as he once did.  And two.... other prep coaches around the state, who look up to Coach Keefer will take notice, and follow his lead. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I believe there is a positive we can take from the disdain some prep coaches developed over time with Coach Crean.  And no better example than Coach Keefer.  The very same Coach Keefer who holds a masters degree from IU.  The very same Coach Keefer who is a legend among legends of Indiana prep coaches.  And the same Coach Keefer, who I recall at one time grew cold towards IU, because of Crean. 

The positive is this.  Coach Keefer is rid of Coach Crean, and has established an amicable relationship with Coach Miller.  Very significant in my opinion.  From two perspectives. One.... Coach Keefer will be talking highly of IU to his kids, as he once did.  And two.... other prep coaches around the state, who look up to Coach Keefer will take notice, and follow his lead. 

Keefer also coached Eric Montross and he went elsewhere even with RMK was here.

What I took from this was that Crean's constant intensity wore a lot of kids down. We saw that frequently as our record tended to worsen at the end of many seasons. Knight had the same issue with intensity.

I hope Archie has a better handle on today's kids and how to ease off when needed 

23 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

What I took from this was that Crean's constant intensity wore a lot of kids down. We saw that frequently as our record tended to worsen at the end of many seasons. Knight had the same issue with intensity.

I hope Archie has a better handle on today's kids and how to ease off when needed 

In swimming, it's called tapering.  Crean started to taper his last few seasons.  However he never really grasped the concept. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Knight stopped by the house after a fishing trip.  In a 4X4.  Either Eric did not like 4X4's, or Knight wreaked of the smell of fish.  LOL

Wasn't this in that stretch where Knight didn't think he had to really recruit anybody?

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I just wonder, though. Athletes want to compete. Maybe Crean had a reputation that he could never make it to the big stage? I sure had that impression.

Archived