Wisconsin Postgame Thread

40 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Have you ever listened to Bill Walton.  Dakich is an A$$ but at least he know basketball.  Bill Walton will spend the whole time talking about the strangest things that just make everyone feel a bit uncomfortable.  I can't even watch a game he is on.  But i do think Dakich needs to just grow up and move on.

The things his partner commentator has to do to avoid his awkwardness is cringe worthy

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Have you ever listened to Bill Walton.  Dakich is an A$$ but at least he know basketball.  Bill Walton will spend the whole time talking about the strangest things that just make everyone feel a bit uncomfortable.  I can't even watch a game he is on.  But i do think Dakich needs to just grow up and move on.

It's because he's stoned out of his gourd. 

57 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Oh sure, Walton is in la la land. This is your brain on drugs (old frying pan / anti-drug commercial). I'd like to give Dakich some credit. But I can't. He's a complete tool as to all things IU. It's unfortunate he's become such a little man.

30 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Dakich :  "Hey Jordan." "I want to be your coach."

Crawford:  "Uhhhhh.... I don't think so. Coach stays. I go"Dan-Dakich-Jordan-Crawford.jpg.

Based on the green hat in the background I take it that this was the game at MSU (Drew Neitzel senior game) where we got absolutely destroyed. Either that or at Northwestern -- purple shirt in background -- (first game post Sampson) where we looked lost and won by only 3 points against an abysmal team. Doesn't really matter, the season was at lost either point. 

57 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Based on the green hat in the background I take it that this was the game at MSU (Drew Neitzel senior game) where we got absolutely destroyed. Either that or at Northwestern -- purple shirt in background -- (first game post Sampson) where we looked lost and won by only 3 points against an abysmal team. Doesn't really matter, the season was at lost either point. 

I was at the Northwestern game that year. Jamarcus Ellis wouldn't come anywhere near the huddle during time outs. I remember IU won, and we (as usual) had a huge IU contingent at that high school gym Northwestern plays in.

Dakich is annoying as s commentator, but I actually think he's trying to hide his IU bias when he goes overboard on IU. I wish he'd say screw it, like Bilas does and just sit there with that same smirk on his face while he shaking the IU pom poms.

But one thing he did that I'll always admire. He stripped the covers off the frat house Sampson had been running, and tried to hold the kids accountable. He could have kept it quiet, hoping some would stay if he got the job, but he did the right thing and exposed it all.

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But one thing he did that I'll always admire. He stripped the covers off the frat house Sampson had been running, and tried to hold the kids accountable. He could have kept it quiet, hoping some would stay if he got the job, but he did the right thing and exposed it all.

Two things I have and will continue to credit the Cretin (DD) for.  One.... turning down the West Virginia gig, upon discovering the cheating going on there.  And two.  Busting the miscreants on the IU team under Sampson. And making them run stairs  If memory serves correctly, Crawford was not one of the miscreants. But Crawford did not appreciate being punished for what others had done.  Now... I could be wrong... but I think Crean actually tried to re-recruit Crawford.  However, by that time... Jordan had his fill of IU, primarily because of Dakich. 

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was at the Northwestern game that year. Jamarcus Ellis wouldn't come anywhere near the huddle during time outs. I remember IU won, and we (as usual) had a huge IU contingent at that high school gym Northwestern plays in.

Really going off topic now.  I am actually impressed with the job Northwestern did on their home.  I agree with you, that prior to the rehab, their home looked like a high school gym.  But now... at least on tv... to me.... it actually looks like it belongs in the B!G. 

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I could be wrong... but I think Crean actually tried to re-recruit Crawford.  

This is correct. Crawford ended being more comfortable with and following Travis Steele (now head coach) to Xavier. Steele also took with him Tu Hollowell (a recruit) to Xavier as well. Those two would go on to be a great back court for Xavier — led them deep into the tournament.

Contrary to belief, Crean also was  re-recruiting Eli Holman who did not want to be at IU anymore. Long story short the re-recruitment didn’t go as planned...

10 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

This is correct. Crawford ended being more comfortable with and following Travis Steele (now head coach) to Xavier. Steele also took with him Tu Hollowell (a recruit) to Xavier as well. Those two would go on to be a great back court for Xavier — led them deep into the tournament.

Contrary to belief, Crean also was  re-recruiting Eli Holman who did not want to be at IU anymore. Long story short the re-recruitment didn’t go as planned...

Thank you for confirming what I thought.  Much appreciated.

Kind of off topic, again. But falls in line with what you are saying about two of Sampson's players.  I have been  reading on this fabulous forum, that certain current IU players are Crean's players, and not Archie's players.  Yet, we all cheered when Archie re-recruited them and convinced them to stay at IU.  So... considering that..... who's players are they?

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Kind of off topic, again. But falls in line with what you are saying about two of Sampson's players.  I have been  reading on this fabulous forum, that certain current IU players are Crean's players, and not Archie's players.  Yet, we all cheered when Archie re-recruited them and convinced them to stay at IU.  So... considering that..... who's players are they?

Yes

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Crean’s.

5 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Crean’s.

They are Crean’s! Archie wouldn’t have been able to replace that many players after he was hired if they all left. I am sure Archie thought well if Crean recruited them they must be able to play. To a degree they can. I like Al he’s a winner, I think Smith is worth another year. If he works hard this summer on his ball handling and shot and gets his Dad to stay off the internet. Also he needs to get right with his attitude also. Moore if he puts on some serious muscle could help, but I don’t know if he will. Race is a keeper from the little I have seen him, he to needs  to work on his shot. Greens the big disappointment very low basketball IQ. His body language tells me his attitude is little to be desired. D1 is to big for him. I don’t think it is a coincidence that since DeRon is healthier and Race is available, Ron Phinesse is getting healthier and Green is on the bench we’re playing better. It was a combination of injuries and bad attitudes by just a couple of players. Just my opinion 

45 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Glass told Arch to go out and get them.  APR issues.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

These are Crean’s players. As many already know, Archie and Crean are exact opposites. If Archie was at the helm a year earlier he doesn’t recruit these guys,let alone offer them (which is why I think 2/3rds of the ‘17 class won’t be with IU next year) I think Crean left the program in more turmoil than many thought and for this reason Arch thought it would be much more efficient to re-recruit these guys and give it a go. Unfortunately it has not worked out...at least so far, and that is why I believe we will see roster turnover this summer. As for this year’s team, we have talent but a bad mix a players and no identity — a product of which coach recruited them...Crean or Archie (exact opposites)

13 minutes ago, Bob said:

They are Crean’s! Archie wouldn’t have been able to replace that many players after he was hired if they all left. I am sure Archie thought well if Crean recruited them they must be able to play. To a degree they can. I like Al he’s a winner, I think Smith is worth another year. If he works hard this summer on his ball handling and shot and gets his Dad to stay off the internet. Also he needs to get right with his attitude also. Moore if he puts on some serious muscle could help, but I don’t know if he will. Race is a keeper from the little I have seen him, he to needs  to work on his shot. Greens the big disappointment very low basketball IQ. His body language tells me his attitude is little to be desired. D1 is to big for him. I don’t think it is a coincidence that since DeRon is healthier and Race is available, Ron Phinesse is getting healthier and Green is on the bench we’re playing better. It was a combination of injuries and bad attitudes by just a couple of players. Just my opinion 

While I completely agree with you that the ‘17 class is Crean’s guys - Race is an Archie guy. He’s actually a 2018 kid that was recruited by Archie after he took the IU job but reclassified to ‘17 and redshirted.

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

And much like the rest of the rest of the Sampson era, said incident involved a pot. 

No question that De'Ron was one of Crean's guys. I was there, the night Tom was in the gym, De'Ron's Senior year.

Yet.... Archie bounced another one of Crean's guys.... Grant Gelon.

Having a hard time understanding guys who Crean originally recruited, why, when Archie re-recruited them they are not at least as much his.... as they were Crean's..

Archie, did not like Gelon.... so he got rid of him.  Then why not get rid of the others ?  

Archie had to see something in those "Crean" kids..... otherwise he would not have gone after them, as he booted Gelon. 

Edit to add:  By the way..... I am loving this discussion.  This is what makes HSN great.  A civil discussion.... with out getting personal.

Well done, everyone !

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

No question that De'Ron was one of Crean's guys. I was there, the night Tom was in the gym, De'Ron's Senior year.

Having a hard time understanding guys who Crean originally recruited, why, when Archie re-recruited them they are not at least as much his.... as they were Crean's..

Archie, did not like Gelon.... so he got rid of him.  Then why not get rid of the others ?  

Archie had to see something in those "Crean" kids..... otherwise he would not have gone after them, as he booted Gelon. 

APR, my friend.

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Edit to add:  By the way..... I am loving this discussion.  This is what makes HSN great.  A civil discussion.... with out getting personal.

Well done, everyone !

Like Rico said the APR played a huge, huge factor. But also, Gelon and Davis are not apples to apples. Gelon is not only easily replaceable, you can actually get a much better player easily. Gelon is an example of just how far Crean’s recruiting had dropped off. 

Davis is a 6’10’ 260ish lb center. Those guys don’t grow on trees. Even if he is a “Crean guy”, you can’t just replace that at a drop of a hat. 

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Like Rico said the APR played a huge, huge factor. But also, Gelon and Davis are not apples to apples. Gelon is not only easily replaceable, you can actually get a much better player easily. Gelon is an example of just how far Crean’s recruiting had dropped off. 

Davis is a 6’10’ 260ish lb center. Those guys don’t grow on trees. Even if he is a “Crean guy”, you can’t just replace that at a drop of a hat. 

Yeah that APR gets overlooked.  It was a major factor.  Archie walked into a situation where his hands were tied, so to speak.  Looks to me like he loves Al.  Justin...maybe kinda of sorta.  Now Clifton?

Now Gelon wouldn't have even made my high school team.  Region Rat or not.

11 hours ago, rico said:

Yeah that APR gets overlooked.  It was a major factor.  Archie walked into a situation where his hands were tied, so to speak.  Looks to me like he loves Al.  Justin...maybe kinda of sorta.  Now Clifton?

Now Gelon wouldn't have even made my high school team.  Region Rat or not.

Al is definitely Archie's kind of player.  Tough.  Scrappy.  Maybe not an elite natural talent, but hustles and is above average on both ends of the court. 

14 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Al is definitely Archie's kind of player.  Tough.  Scrappy.  Maybe not an elite natural talent, but hustles and is above average on both ends of the court. 

Yep, Al will be a fine 4 year player for us.

Archived