Heading For The Exits???

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosierburgh said:

The shot on TV of our fans leaving the game during OT makes me sick!  Poor babies need their sleep.  Are you kidding me!  Tied game, players busting their tails, critical contest on national TV.  I don't ever remember fans in mass exodus while I was there 1988-1992.  Am I overreacting?

I was there and will offer this perspective. I got up immediately at the end of regulation to go the bathroom b/c I had a 90 minute drive ahead of me and wanted to beat the end of game crowd. The bathroom line was about 30 deep when I got out there. Not suggesting some people weren’t leaving but I think a fair number were hitting the head and returned for OT and double OT like I did. The crowd didn’t seem significantly different to me. Now, the fact that both balconies were pretty much empty was a little disappointing but i don’t think as many left early as it might have appeared. 

I stay to the bitter end of every sporting event I attend.  

• 30 point basketball game?  I stay
  • 48-7 football game?  I stay
  • 11-2 baseball game in the rain?  I stay
  • 4-1 hockey game?  Well, I try not to go to them in the first place.

You never know what you'll see.  And, I would much rather hang out 30 minutes after the game and be one of the last to leave than I would to leave with other who are in a mad rush to get out.  

40 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I stay to the bitter end of every sporting event I attend.  

• 30 point basketball game?  I stay
  • 48-7 football game?  I stay
  • 11-2 baseball game in the rain?  I stay
  • 4-1 hockey game?  Well, I try not to go to them in the first place.

You never know what you'll see.  And, I would much rather hang out 30 minutes after the game and be one of the last to leave than I would to leave with other who are in a mad rush to get out.  

My wife is a leave early to beat the traffic girl and I am a stay late to beat the traffic guy. Whoever can bribe the kids better wins.

9 hours ago, Hoosierburgh said:

The shot on TV of our fans leaving the game during OT makes me sick!  Poor babies need their sleep.  Are you kidding me!  Tied game, players busting their tails, critical contest on national TV.  I don't ever remember fans in mass exodus while I was there 1988-1992.  Am I overreacting?

Total embarrassment to this once proud fan base.  I have to get up at 6:30 but stayed up to watch the whole game and like normal I can't go right to sleep so I watch the Assembly Call post game show and did not get to bed until 1am.  I never understand fans leaving early especially in a close game and it is disgraceful.

I remember leaving at half time of most iu football games when I was a student.  Writing on the wall and the tailgates were still rocking.  

But let's not be all grey haired about this (dakich dig).   It was getting very late, lots of people have work, school,  family not to mention multi hour drives.  This fan base sometimes is an embarrassment.   

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Total embarrassment to this once proud fan base.  I have to get up at 6:30 but stayed up to watch the whole game and like normal I can't go right to sleep so I watch the Assembly Call post game show and did not get to bed until 1am.  I never understand fans leaving early especially in a close game and it is disgraceful.

Same here. Had to be up at 6 am to get my girls dressed and off to school.  Couldn't fall asleep right away so stayed up and read the threads and some of the Call show. I would have loved to have been there in person and would've enjoyed every minute of it too.

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I remember leaving at half time of most iu football games when I was a student.  Writing on the wall and the tailgates were still rocking.  

But let's not be all grey haired about this (dakich dig).   It was getting very late, lots of people have work, school,  family not to mention multi hour drives.  This fan base sometimes is an embarrassment.   

So what is another 15 minutes going to do so stay to the end

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know lots of people that make the multi hour trip and have obligations and leaving early is sometimes the only option. I had a member of our board offer me tickets to the game last night and I had to refuse because I have a child that has issues that far outweigh a college basketball game and if i had gone and had to leave early to get home to him I would do it. You can't always judge a book by its cover. It's easy to criticize the fans unless you know their situation. Maybe some have said I have seen this ending before and left and missed out on a great finish, that is their loss. I will be the last to judge someone for leaving an entertainment event early. I had to leave at half time of a game I was coaching, and it was hard for me to do but my administrators not only forced me to go he drove me to the hospital. The blanket criticizing of the fans does not work for me. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Image result for living in the good old days memeHere's your new avatar Scott

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know lots of people that make the multi hour trip and have obligations and leaving early is sometimes the only option. I had a member of our board offer me tickets to the game last night and I had to refuse because I have a child that has issues that far outweigh a college basketball game and if i had gone and had to leave early to get home to him I would do it. You can't always judge a book by its cover. It's easy to criticize the fans unless you know their situation. Maybe some have said I have seen this ending before and left and missed out on a great finish, that is their loss. I will be the last to judge someone for leaving an entertainment event early. I had to leave at half time of a game I was coaching, and it was hard for me to do but my administrators not only forced me to go he drove me to the hospital. The blanket criticizing of the fans does not work for me. 

I was typing a reply, read yours, and will just second this.

Some people have much more important things than the end of a game. Some drive 2 hours away, will have to drive 2 hours home, get up after about 4 hours of sleep, drive small children around, etc.

Young kids don't get it. And they won't until they are put in that position. There will be MUCH more important things coming in life, way more important than a game.

Listening to broadcast in Wisconsin, their announcers opened the game by noting in all the years they've been coming to Bloomington they've never seen so many empty seats at AH. And then all the fans clearing out in OT. But it doesn't surprise me. IU is a generation removed from being an annual contender. The students have never experienced it, and the alumni have become numb to the results. 

I'd like to think I'm passionate enough that I would have stayed. But if I were there with my kids at midnight on a school night? Oh, who am I kidding, I would have stayed and the wife would have read the riot act to me later. IU's 3rd win against Wisconsin in the last 22 games would be too good to miss! 

Some people take sports way too seriously....and this is coming from someone who has been accused of being fanatical many a time. If you are putting sports ahead of what is best for your kids or your job or you health....re-evaluation may be needed lol. Now...if I was there I would have stayed...and my family that was there stayed...but I don't judge other people. Many may have baby sitters who couldn't stay longer, medication they need to get home to take, baby to feed, work to get ready for, or heck even a term paper to write...it's just entertainment. That said it was a heck of a finish....both frustrating and annoying and yet satisfying all the same that we finally got over the hump!

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Some people take sports way too seriously....and this is coming from someone who has been accused of being fanatical many a time. If you are putting sports ahead of what is best for your kids or your job or you health....re-evaluation may be needed lol. Now...if I was there I would have stayed...and my family that was there stayed...but I don't judge other people. Many may have baby sitters who couldn't stay longer, medication they need to get home to take, baby to feed, work to get ready for, or heck even a term paper to write...it's just entertainment. That said it was a heck of a finish....both frustrating and annoying and yet satisfying all the same that we finally got over the hump!

Well if they have really young kids it was probably not a great decision to take them to a game that started at 9pm in the first place.  When they showed people leaving I mainly saw older fans leaving and they looked to old to have young kids.

Well if this is purely entertainment then why do so many people come on here after losses to rip players and coaches.  You shouldn't take it so seriously since it is just for entertainment.

Archived