Heading For The Exits???

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Proud2BAHoosier said:

It's what a miserable season does to the fans, just sayin'.....

I agree but the game was in OT and we were playing well.  I can see not coming because of the season but to make the trip down there and still leave early is a problem in my opinion.  You want the players to care and play hard but they look up and see a lot of fans leaving going into the second OT it would be  a little frustrating to me.

Listen guys it was a 9PM tip time on a Tuesday night.  That might be fine for the people that live in Bloomington, but for those that really have to travel, the time and the day just don't work.  Let alone the game went to 2OT.  Heck if I went to the game, which I could have, I would have been late for fishing this morning and with no sleep.  You can thank the TV networks for this.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree but the game was in OT and we were playing well.  I can see not coming because of the season but to make the trip down there and still leave early is a problem in my opinion.  You want the players to care and play hard but they look up and see a lot of fans leaving going into the second OT it would be  a little frustrating to me.

Or on the flip side maybe the players decided to do what they can to win this game to get the fans back......

I was sick last night so my wife took my youngest.  She is not a night owl like me and they stayed the whole time.  She thought about going but my kid wouldn’t have it.  My entire family knows unless there is something more pressing you never leave a game.  Like Fouls I stay the whole time because you never know.

I will also point out this is nothing new.  Even non late start games there are fans that leave at the under 4 timeout constantly.  It’s not just this game or only when IU is bad.  My wife sent me a picture of all the empty seats and the balcony but she did say when Romeo made that shout AH was still rocking like it did when they beat UNC.

In general I will say IU should never start later than 8pm EST as anything later really is a big FU to the fans that drive far.  But late or early I personally always stay throughnto the end.

I was at the game last night and can say the lack of attendance at the game was far more embarrassing than those leaving early.  I was in section D and the entire other side was maybe 45% full.  I have been to a lot of games and that was far and away the emptiest I have ever seen.  To those leaving, I completely empathize.  For one, it wasn't a game that was being well-played that went into double OT, but two the 9pm start left my crew getting home to Indy last night at almost 1:30am. 

No problem with leaving early those fans paid for their tickets if they miss watching the last few mins oh well.  The bigger problem here is the lack of fans in the stands to start the game.  Iv averaged attending about 30 games a year for the pacers for the last 6 seasons. Some I left early due to a variety of reasons, some we stay till the end and some we stay till the end and go out afterwards for a bite to eat. 

Just now, rico said:

Losing is hurting the fan base.  Add to it a late start on a week night.  What don't you understand?  

Well it was just not last night but I was at the Butler and IU game at Bankers Life and people started leaving around the 4 minute mark in a tight game.  That game started at 40PM in Indy so what was the excuse there..  Also what is the difference in leaving at 11:45 or midnight because that is what time the game ended.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well it was just not last night but I was at the Butler and IU game at Bankers Life and people started leaving around the 4 minute mark in a tight game.  That game started at 40PM in Indy so what was the excuse there..  Also what is the difference in leaving at 11:45 or midnight because that is what time the game ended.

What are you talking about now?  Geez, that was a neutral floor with 4 teams involved.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

15 minutes😁

The 9:00 PM start time is a significant factor here.  That said, everyone that went to the game understood what the consequences of that may be.  Once you make the commitment to use your tickets, then you should make the commitment to support the team to the end.  Everyone knows how much of an impact the crowd at AH can have on a game.  That impact is diminished a little bit with each empty seat at the end of a tight game.  

I live 2 hours away, and I had to get up this morning for work and to get the kids off to school.  I didn't have tickets to last night's game, but if I had of, I would have been there not only at the buzzer, but for as long as I would have been allowed to stay afterward.  2:00 AM. 2:30 AM, or even 3:00 AM.  At that point, a few extra minutes makes little or no difference in the amount of sleep you get.  But, seeing the last few minutes of a double overtime game that IU wins?  Priceless.  That's creating memories forever.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

No but just don't understand the mentality of leaving early in a close game in OT.  Maybe it is just people have short attention span and can't sit or stand to watch a game for more than 2 hours.

Maybe falling asleep on the 1-2 hour drive home became a concern coupled with parking concerns.  What do I know, oh, and the 80s we're better.

1 hour ago, ephul said:

I was typing a reply, read yours, and will just second this.

Some people have much more important things than the end of a game. Some drive 2 hours away, will have to drive 2 hours home, get up after about 4 hours of sleep, drive small children around, etc.

Young kids don't get it. And they won't until they are put in that position. There will be MUCH more important things coming in life, way more important than a game.

I got hammered by people in the community that did not go to the game that could not believe I left. The opposing team AD actually made an announcement during the game to let people know and to keep us in prayer. It is a crazy dark world but there are still plenty of good people and light in the world just sometimes you have to look a bit harder. 

Archived