Heading For The Exits???

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I got hammered by people in the community that did not go to the game that could not believe I left. The opposing team AD actually made an announcement during the game to let people know and to keep us in prayer. It is a crazy dark world but there are still plenty of good people and light in the world just sometimes you have to look a bit harder. 

I couldn't believe anyone question you if you had to leave to take a child to the hospital

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well if they have really young kids it was probably not a great decision to take them to a game that started at 9pm in the first place.  When they showed people leaving I mainly saw older fans leaving and they looked to old to have young kids.

Well if this is purely entertainment then why do so many people come on here after losses to rip players and coaches.  You shouldn't take it so seriously since it is just for entertainment.

Like I said...sometimes I go a little overboard...I am passionate...but there are times it needs to be put in its proper context. We love our Hoosiers but we need to also realize that it’s only a sport and to not let it get personal between us and each other and the players. I take it too far too sometimes. We can always use a reality check. I’m not singling anyone out...I myself is as guilty as any...but I don’t know those peoples situations and I am not the judge on what is ok and not when I am not walking in their shoes...less I be judged for my behavior. Maybe they knew they could only watch half the game...should they not be allowed to do that? They paid for it. They are entitled to make their own choices on when is ok to watch and when to leave. Trust me had I been at the hall there would have been a couple games I would have just left out of disgust. I don’t know what gives us all the right to judge people’s fandom. Just be happy we have people willing to pay for the seats at all...else the program would have worse problems then some old folks going home at midnight before the finish of s game. Again...not singling your opinion out you have the right to it but I would implore you to reconsider labeling the fan base because they couldn’t make it to the end of a game on a late Tuesday night. 

1 hour ago, IUALUM03 said:

I was at the game last night and can say the lack of attendance at the game was far more embarrassing than those leaving early.  I was in section D and the entire other side was maybe 45% full.  I have been to a lot of games and that was far and away the emptiest I have ever seen.  To those leaving, I completely empathize.  For one, it wasn't a game that was being well-played that went into double OT, but two the 9pm start left my crew getting home to Indy last night at almost 1:30am. 

I assume the time of the tip was precisely why a lot didn’t show...on top of how poorly we have been playing. And you were right...it was a poorly played game on both sides...tons of missed foul shots, layups, turnovers...it went into OT BECAUSE of how bad it was...not because of how good it was. Fouling on 3pt shots etc. I’m not worried....Indiana fans will support a good product..that place will be rocking when we start winning. What would be embarrassing is a half empty stadium playing for a B1G title. We won’t let that happen.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I assume the time of the tip was precisely why a lot didn’t show...on top of how poorly we have been playing. And you were right...it was a poorly played game on both sides...tons of missed foul shots, layups, turnovers...it went into OT BECAUSE of how bad it was...not because of how good it was. Fouling on 3pt shots etc. I’m not worried....Indiana fans will support a good product..that place will be rocking when we start winning. What would be embarrassing is a half empty stadium playing for a B1G title. We won’t let that happen.

I will take any season tickets row 25 and below if it comes to half empty stadium and nobody shows.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I agree but the game was in OT and we were playing well.  I can see not coming because of the season but to make the trip down there and still leave early is a problem in my opinion.  You want the players to care and play hard but they look up and see a lot of fans leaving going into the second OT it would be  a little frustrating to me.

So here is a question. The players on teams like Penn State who play hard no matter what and even teams that are really good but don’t play in front of a bunch of fans...why is it they care? Lots still manage to play hard and win despite what’s in the crowd...but our guys are so fragile they can’t play in front of a non sold out crowd and have some heart? I think they can and they do..so I’ll give them more credit than that.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So here is a question. The players on teams like Penn State who play hard no matter what and even teams that are really good but don’t play in front of a bunch of fans...why is it they care? Lots still manage to play hard and win despite what’s in the crowd...but our guys are so fragile they can’t play in front of a non sold out crowd and have some heart? I think they can and they do..so I’ll give them more credit than that.

I did not mean that they wouldn't play hard but it would be discouraging to see people leaving.  Maybe if PSU would have a full house they might win even more because right now they are not a really good example since they are 4-12 in conference.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I couldn't believe anyone question you if you had to leave to take a child to the hospital

You know how high school basketball can be. It was people not at the game just hearing bits and pieces and making assumptions. I was coaching and one of our team managers was texting my wife and she would write on my play board 103.5 is it time to go to hospital. My mind was not in the game and we were an hour an half from our school and another hour from St Vincent's. The hospital did not want Ayden there becasue of the F1N1 outbreak. Finally my Principal called my wife said get him to hospital we will meet you there. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I did not mean that they wouldn't play hard but it would be discouraging to see people leaving.  Maybe if PSU would have a full house they might win even more because right now they are not a really good example since they are 4-12 in conference.

Hey no worries Scott. I like you but we just disagree on this one. I just don’t try to judge people on their fandom etc because they leave or heck didn’t even show up. If I lived up there and had the money I would buy season tickets too...but I doubt I’d go to every game...life gets in the way.

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You know how high school basketball can be. It was people not at the game just hearing bits and pieces and making assumptions. I was coaching and one of our team managers was texting my wife and she would write on my play board 103.5 is it time to go to hospital. My mind was not in the game and we were an hour an half from our school and another hour from St Vincent's. The hospital did not want Ayden there becasue of the F1N1 outbreak. Finally my Principal called my wife said get him to hospital we will meet you there. 

That is ridiculous and those people are people you shouldn't worry about.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hey no worries Scott. I like you but we just disagree on this one. I just don’t try to judge people on their fandom etc because they leave or heck didn’t even show up. If I lived up there and had the money I would buy season tickets too...but I doubt I’d go to every game...life gets in the way.

I wish I could afford season tickets as well but being a single father of two college kids that is impossible.

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

While I agree with Sage in principal, her company did put us on the air at 9 o'clock.  That would have worked if Wisky was the home team, because it would have been 8:00 there.  But, the late start was the biggest contributor to the empty seats.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Nah, the biggest contributor to the empty seats was the fact that we had lost 11 of the last 12 or 12 of the last 13 (whatever it was).  If this team was top 4 in the BIG and looking forward to maybe making a run in the upcoming tournaments, people would have been there.

When you start losing, excuses not to attend a game are easier to come by.

With apologies to Sage Steele, I'm not better than that.  Not for a 4-12 team in a 3 hour game with referees taking 5-10 minutes to review straightforward replays and no guarantee this would even be over in 2 OT's.  I will always be a fan of IU, have been since I was a child.  But there are some things that take precedence.  As above, would my "dedication" likely be different if we were 12-4 battling for a Big Ten conference championship?  Probably.  Hopefully I will find out in the future.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yeah, but Penn State has those two guys that go "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..." the whole game!

46 minutes ago, btownmd said:

With apologies to Sage Steele, I'm not better than that.  Not for a 4-12 team in a 3 hour game with referees taking 5-10 minutes to review straightforward replays and no guarantee this would even be over in 2 OT's.  I will always be a fan of IU, have been since I was a child.  But there are some things that take precedence.  As above, would my "dedication" likely be different if we were 12-4 battling for a Big Ten conference championship?  Probably.  Hopefully I will find out in the future.

And there you have it... If IU was winning the building would be full and people would have stayed. Maybe its time some turn in their seats.

1 hour ago, btownmd said:

I agree the reviews have to stop. No more hook and hold...and I think reviews should be timed by an official at 90sec. After that the play stands as called or make a determination. Also it’s like free time outs for coaches! I would never worry about not having one because you are sure to get a clock review after every play in last 2mins lol.

5 hours ago, JEFFVETTE said:

I live two hours away. Depending on what was going on, listening to the rest in the car may have been an option. 

Do people LOOK for things to complain about?

Yes they do.  And then they will complain about people complaining and then complain about how that complaining is an embarrassment.   

I have been a Dan Dakich supporter for a long time. He should never do and IU game ,because he just sounds like sore grapes. He complained more about the ref then Wisconsin coach. He is embarrassing his self. Then the idiot with just followed suit like he knew what he was saying. ESPN needs to send them to other games! 

Archived