KeShaun Smith, Bethany Christian High School

SIAP, but KeShaun Smith, senior forward on Bethany Christian's Basketball Team passed away Saturday. Friday night was senior night and Smith scored 17 points in a loss to Fremont. Saturday he went to practice and then had an early dinner with his team at Das Dutchman Essenhaus. Smith left the restaurant to go to Huntington University for a recruiting weekend. On his way there his car crossed the center line and collided head on with another vehicle. The coroner pronounced him dead at the scene.

Condolences and prayers to Smith family, Bethany Christian High School, his friends and teammates and to the other family involved in the accident. 

Very tragic. From the Goshen News:

Bethany schools officials posted a statement on the school’s Facebook page, which said, “We are deeply saddened to share the news of the tragic death of KeShawn Smith, a senior basketball and soccer player for the Bruins. We will miss his ready smile, big heart, and great laugh. Keep the family and the BCS community in your prayers as we grieve this tremendous loss.”

Bethany boys basketball coach Ryan Gingerich received a phone call from Principal Hank Willems Saturday night with the tragic news.

"As soon as he told me I lost it. I broke down. I was crying and after getting off the phone my youngest son Carson said, 'Dad what happened? Did you get fired?' I looked at him and said if only that was the news I just got," the coach said.

"You always talk about how everyone's life is special. KeShawn had that 'it factor' about him. He had it in all aspects of life. As soon as he met (someone) he had them."

Smith was a three-year starter on both the school's soccer and basketball teams. He was the captain of the basketball team this season.

According to Gingerich, Smith was on his way to make a college visit at Huntington University.

"He had such an influence on so many lives, from elementary school and middle school students, to teammates to teachers and coaches. He is the kind of kid you would want to coach for the rest of your life. You would never want him to leave," the coach added.

Archived