A Beautiful Indiana Basketball Moment after Indiana's Victory

rbkl

After a hard-fought victory over Wisconsin, there was a really special moment between senior captain Juwan Morgan and redshirt freshman Race Thompson. 

Juwan Morgan played very well early in the game. In fact, he finished with a game-high +20 in the plus/minus, and he netted double digit rebounds in the first half. Juwan finished with 9 points and 15 rebounds.

But when foul trouble struck again, Indiana went early to Race Thompson. Clearly Archie has a lot of trust in Race, who only had about 20 minutes of college basketball coming into the match up.

And he did not disappoint.

While his 1 point / 7 rebound stat line may not seem impressive on paper considering he tallied 20+ minutes, Race played fantastic defense all evening. He held his own against Big Ten POTY candidate Ethan Happ. Without Juwan and Justin, who fouled out in overtime, Race stepped up in a big way to help the Hoosiers outlast #19 Wisconsin.

Obviously there are a ton of emotions from both players: 

Juwan Morgan is counting down the number of remaining home games (now it's 2) for him in his Indiana career. Race Thompson has been itching to get back on the court after sitting out his entire freshman year.

From watching their interaction, you can tell that Juwan has been a huge mentor for Race. Even though Juwan sat, he was so proud of his younger teammate that will be taking the torch once Juwan leaves. The first thing Race did after winning was to go and give Juwan an emotional hug that was truly a beautiful Indiana basketball moment.

This is what it's all about.

A Beautiful Indiana Basketball Moment between Juwan and Race

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Race I envision becoming similar to Juwan Morgan with his career at IU, maybe even better than Juwan when he becomes a SR assuming he has no major injury setbacks in the future. 

Totally agree. There's a lot of promise when you can come in after 1.5 years of sitting out and compete head-to-head against one of the best in the league.

I have been a total rollercoster when it comes to Archie. The truth is I believe he will do us proud. I don’t understand at times his moves, but it’s his call. I love the way he recruits, it means a lot to me that we get some of the best Indiana has to offer. Second if you really look he has done a great job with what he has to deal with. As for as this team is concerned. The injures are unbelievable. He has had to deal with a very short bench talent wise, for a large part of the year, against a very talented and tough Big Ten schedule.  I personal would like to see Smith stay. It’s not his fault his Dads a problem. That is for him Smith to handle. Green is different for me. He is going to be a senior and his basketball IQ is that of a high schooler. He hasn’t came close to filling his potential under Crean or Archie. That’s on him ! I’d say good bye to Green. One way are another. Don’t need him. 

Race has shown us what could have been. Add Hunter a shooter to this team and hay a lot better team. I am looking forward to the future of IU basketball! 

Was joking with a friend this morning at the gym. I've come to grips with this season. Total mental anguish and frustration. Just wish we had about 10 more games to prove when almost healthy what we are.

I can see what Archie is doing. Given the injuries (yes...the injuries) it's just been impossible to judge completely. Right now I equate our team/program to this. A 6-7 team win college football program who has a chance to finish off strong, maybe win a bowl game and set the tone for off season with workouts and recruiting. The anger I had has been replaced with just the realization that injuries have hurt us more than what I even posted 30 days ago. 

I do believe in our staff. I believe in our recruiting. All eyes and goals should be set on Indy for Final Four in 2021.

7 hours ago, rbkl said:

After a hard-fought victory over Wisconsin, there was a really special moment between senior captain Juwan Morgan and redshirt freshman Race Thompson. 

Juwan Morgan played very well early in the game. In fact, he finished with a game-high +20 in the plus/minus, and he netted double digit rebounds in the first half. Juwan finished with 9 points and 15 rebounds.

But when foul trouble struck again, Indiana went early to Race Thompson. Clearly Archie has a lot of trust in Race, who only had about 20 minutes of college basketball coming into the match up.

And he did not disappoint.

While his 1 point / 7 rebound stat line may not seem impressive on paper considering he tallied 20+ minutes, Race played fantastic defense all evening. He held his own against Big Ten POTY candidate Ethan Happ. Without Juwan and Justin, who fouled out in overtime, Race stepped up in a big way to help the Hoosiers outlast #19 Wisconsin.

Obviously there are a ton of emotions from both players: 

Juwan Morgan is counting down the number of remaining home games (now it's 2) for him in his Indiana career. Race Thompson has been itching to get back on the court after sitting out his entire freshman year.

From watching their interaction, you can tell that Juwan has been a huge mentor for Race. Even though Juwan sat, he was so proud of his younger teammate that will be taking the torch once Juwan leaves. The first thing Race did after winning was to go and give Juwan an emotional hug that was truly a beautiful Indiana basketball moment.

This is what it's all about.

A Beautiful Indiana Basketball Moment between Juwan and Race

Never never never underestimate the passing of the torch if you will what it means to have seniors in a program. Our problem has been our 6-7 guys (minus Yogi) all left early for NBA. Juwan has shown Race and hopefully others what it takes. That's the culture part we've been lacking. Maybe this moment is something we'll look back on in Indy....Final Four 2021.

Archived