How do we make the NCAA tourney

Indykev

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

We definitely have to win out.  Then we have to get at least two and maybe three in the BTT.  I would love for that to happen as much as anyone.  I just have a hard time seeing it happening.  

IF they beat Sparty perhaps you might rethink your stance. Winning out and taking 2 or 3 in the BTT likely wouldn't look so improbable but they definitely have to do that first. 

Streaks can work both ways.... once they start. Who knows how many this team might string together , but the most important is getting consecutive win #2 right now

Not sure if this is even mathematically feasible, but winning out and remaining in the bottom 4 would be helpful. That would put us at 17-14 heading into the tourney. Win that first game against Penn State/Northwestern/Nebraska. Then get that second game against Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota/Ohio State. That would put us at 19-14 and we'd have a shot at one of the top 4 to get to 20 wins. 20-15 gets us in you would have to think. 19-15 gets us at least on the bubble.

1 hour ago, jblaz13 said:

IF they beat Sparty perhaps you might rethink your stance. Winning out and taking 2 or 3 in the BTT likely wouldn't look so improbable but they definitely have to do that first. 

Streaks can work both ways.... once they start. Who knows how many this team might string together , but the most important is getting consecutive win #2 right now

IF they beat Sparty, I absolutely would rethink my stance.  That is going to be a tough game and even with our improved play, I have a hard time seeing us winning it.  I hope I am wrong.  Let's be honest though, at Illinois won't be easy.  I still will be pretty cautious in my optimism even with a win Saturday.  If we find a way to win out in the regular season, I think we might just pull off getting at least two BTT wins. 

You are absolutely correct, getting #2 in a row is all that matters right now.  

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

IF they beat Sparty, I absolutely would rethink my stance.  That is going to be a tough game and even with our improved play, I have a hard time seeing us winning it.  I hope I am wrong.  Let's be honest though, at Illinois won't be easy.  I still will be pretty cautious in my optimism even with a win Saturday.  If we find a way to win out in the regular season, I think we might just pull off getting at least two BTT wins. 

You are absolutely correct, getting #2 in a row is all that matters right now.  

I think at Illinois is actually a pretty hard game. I know they're record isn't great, but they play extremely hard. It's not going to be easy to win there. 

With the bubble being incredibly weak....

Ideally, we win out and take care of business.  Getting help from teams winning their conference tournaments that should win them will help a great deal.

19 or more wins.

Yesterday, I think I saw Seton Hall projected as last 4 in with a NET of 62.  We were at 57 in the NET.

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Gotta win 5 games at min to make the big dance, whether it starts this Saturday or starts after the Mich st game.  If it starts this Saturday, they need 2 wins in BIG tourney.  If they lose Saturday, they need to win last two regular season games and at least 3 wins in BIG tourney.  Plain and simple.

Pretty much the way I see it....win 5 more games.  I am aboard on this.

I really think we only have to win 4 more games in any combination without losing to Rutgers at home.  We would be the best bubble team in terms of quality wins and SOS.  Beat Illinois and Rutgers, and win two in the BTT - in.  Win out and win one in the BTT - in.  Beat Rutgers, lose to Illinois and MSU, but win 3 in the BTT - in. Lose out - we have to win BTT, obviously haha.

I'm in the camp of getting to 18 wins as well. Oklahoma had 18 wins last year, lost in first round of conference tourney and still made it. If we beat Sparty that makes 7 quad 1 wins as well as 3 vs top 10ish (Marquette, Sparty). Even if we lose at Illinois it isn't a bad loss...but if we win it's another quad 1 win. 

*Does anyone know if because conference tourney games are considered neutral would our first win up there or even second count as quad 1 wins for NET rankings? If that's the case we could beat Sparty and Rutgers, lose at Illinois and win 2 in BTT. That would give us 10 quad 1 wins. I'd say it would be hard to keep us off that 10 or 11 line in that scenario.

11 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I really think we only have to win 4 more games in any combination without losing to Rutgers at home.  We would be the best bubble team in terms of quality wins and SOS.  Beat Illinois and Rutgers, and win two in the BTT - in.  Win out and win one in the BTT - in.  Beat Rutgers, lose to Illinois and MSU, but win 3 in the BTT - in. Lose out - we have to win BTT, obviously haha.

4-2 gives us an overall record of 18-16.  That would definitely test the boundaries of the tournament committee's reliance on things like Quad 1 wins.

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

4-2 gives us an overall record of 18-16.  That would definitely test the boundaries of the tournament committee's reliance on things like Quad 1 wins.

They owe us. After going from a 2 or 3 seed in 2008 to 8 seed in 6 games where we went 3-3.....I'd say the committee needs to give us one back. Haha. Or having us play all of our tourney games at 10pm EST

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Our record is obviously bad in the BTT, but on the flip side, the way we're playing right now and with our team's motivation, I wouldn't want to face IU in the BTT. I said it before and was admittedly being a nutjob optimist, but the way the team is playing now, winning the BTT is conceivable.

I can't see us having the stamina to win 4 or 5 days in a row.

Archived