How do we make the NCAA tourney

Indykev

15 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Said it before though, it’s a tall order, particularly given the number of games and short turnaround, but we’re now looking like a team that could win the BTT. Wouldn’t that be wild? 

Particularly considering this...

Screenshot_20190305-133013_Chrome.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Based on everything I’ve read that sounds right. The quad wins thing is a little over-played. It gets us back in the bubble conversation but a loss to either Illinois or Rutgers is pretty much looking fatal (though NIT almost certain), barring a B1G tourney win. 

Said it before though, it’s a tall order, particularly given the number of games and short turnaround, but we’re now looking like a team that could win the BTT. Wouldn’t that be wild? 

If we can get to the 9 seed, I really like our path.... 

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't want Michigan St. again, and Michigan is a bad match-up for us.

Maybe...but I have watched two games they have played since Mathews got hurt. They are not the same team without him. Not sure how much longer he is going to be out, but if it's for a prolonged length of time, that makes them susceptible imo.

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe...but I have watched two games they have played since Mathews got hurt. They are not the same team without him. Not sure how much longer he is going to be out, but if it's for a prolonged length of time, that makes them susceptible imo.

That is true.  Injuries are a factor.  If I am MSU and Michigan I hold guys out for the NCAAT.  That being said...it will be interesting to see who plays in their season finale.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

That is true.  Injuries are a factor.  If I am MSU and Michigan I hold guys out for the NCAAT.  That being said...it will be interesting to see who plays in their season finale.

If you win or share the regular season title how much does the BTT really mean. I would rather be fresh and healthy and have a early exit than to play on Sunday if I knew I had a top 3 seed locked up.

Here's the ideal situation:

1. We beat UI. 

2. Rutgers beats PSU.

3. We beat Rutgers. 

4. PSU beats UI.

5. Purdue beats NW.

This ensures that we end the regular season without another loss, and leaves us tied for 9th in the standings with Rutgers.  We split the season series, so the next tiebreaker is record vs the next team higher in the standings.  That will end up being either OSU or Minnesota.  Rutgers was 1-1 vs OSU, 1-1 vs Minnesota. We were 0-1 vs OSU, 0-1 vs Minnesota.  Meaning they get the 9th seed and we'd get the 10th. 

If #4 doesn't happen, we wind up in a 3 way tie for 9th with Rutgers and UI.  In that case, the tiebreaker is cumulative head to head record.  We'd be a combined 2-1 vs UI/Rutgers, while each of them are 1-2.  Meaning we would get the #9 seed.  If #5 doesn't happen, Purdue and the loser of MSU/UM tie for 2nd, and Purdue loses either tiebreaker. 

Provided all of that happens, we'd get the #10 seed and line up with one of Iowa/OSU/Minnesota for the first round, and play Purdue in the 2nd. 

There are other scenarios that involve OSU losing out and Indiana/OSU/UI/Rutgers ending in a 4 way tie, but it's getting extremely messy at that point. 

I don't want to play MSU again, because it's very difficult to beat a team 3 times in a season.  I want to play Purdue for that reason. 

15 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

1. We beat UI. 

2. Rutgers beats PSU.

3. We beat Rutgers. 

4. PSU beats UI.

5. Purdue beats NW.

This ensures that we end the regular season without another loss, and leaves us tied for 9th in the standings with Rutgers.  We split the season series, so the next tiebreaker is record vs the next team higher in the standings.  That will end up being either OSU or Minnesota.  Rutgers was 1-1 vs OSU, 1-1 vs Minnesota. We were 0-1 vs OSU, 0-1 vs Minnesota.  Meaning they get the 9th seed and we'd get the 10th. 

If #4 doesn't happen, we wind up in a 3 way tie for 9th with Rutgers and UI.  In that case, the tiebreaker is cumulative head to head record.  We'd be a combined 2-1 vs UI/Rutgers, while each of them are 1-2.  Meaning we would get the #9 seed.  If #5 doesn't happen, Purdue and the loser of MSU/UM tie for 2nd, and Purdue loses either tiebreaker. 

Provided all of that happens, we'd get the #10 seed and line up with one of Iowa/OSU/Minnesota for the first round, and play Purdue in the 2nd. 

There are other scenarios that involve OSU losing out and Indiana/OSU/UI/Rutgers ending in a 4 way tie, but it's getting extremely messy at that point. 

I don't want to play MSU again, because it's very difficult to beat a team 3 times in a season.  I want to play Purdue for that reason. 

Why do I have a headache now?

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

1. We beat UI. 

2. Rutgers beats PSU.

3. We beat Rutgers. 

4. PSU beats UI.

5. Purdue beats NW.

You have the wrong tiebreaker. It's record vs #1 team in the standings. We would still end up 9th in your scenario.

image.png.5710255db079a9516934cf6528757de6.png

This also holds true if Michigan beats MSU. Rutgers and IU both got swept by Michigan and Purdue so it would go down to #3 MSU and we'd win.

11 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

You have the wrong tiebreaker. It's record vs #1 team in the standings. We would still end up 9th in your scenario.

This also holds true if Michigan beats MSU. Rutgers and IU both got swept by Michigan and Purdue so it would go down to #3 MSU and we'd win.

Could help if I could read.  Skipped through the line and just saw "next highest". 

In case anyone is curious:

http://btn.com/big-ten-basketball-tiebreakers/

Big loss for Marquette. Falling like a rock, and on the flip side Seton Hall notched a very important victory. Not good for us. 

With Minnesota, Oklahoma and Seton Hall notching wins against ranked teams, that could be 3 potential slots gone. We may need 4 more down the stretch to make it at this point. Guess it comes down to the committee, but LOTS of work ahead to get to that point. 

Archived