How do we make the NCAA tourney

Indykev

I don't think we're solidly in the field with anything short of making the BTT finals.  Yes, all the statistics and metrics say we've had a better year than a lot of other bubble teams.  But these are still human eyes that are making the evaluations.  And we need a decisive run to help show that the 1-12 streak is behind us. 

Only way I'm not going to be nervous on Selection Sunday is if we're holding the BTT trophy.  In which case, I'll be drunk. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I don't think we're solidly in the field with anything short of making the BTT finals.  Yes, all the statistics and metrics say we've had a better year than a lot of other bubble teams.  But these are still human eyes that are making the evaluations.  And we need a decisive run to help show that the 1-12 streak is behind us. 

Only way I'm not going to be nervous on Selection Sunday is if we're holding the BTT trophy.  In which case, I'll be drunk. 

So you don't think 5 or 6 in a row would qualify as a solid run? What about all the other bubble teams in bad stretches now? Do eyes not apply in those situations, only ours?

We win Thursday and we are in. 

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So you don't think 5 or 6 in a row would qualify as a solid run? What about all the other bubble teams in bad stretches now? Do eyes not apply in those situations, only ours?

Regular season is over.  Pessimistic viewpoint, our streak is now 0. 

Bare minimum, 2 in the BTT, and we're still relying on some luck then. 

23 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Regular season is over.  Pessimistic viewpoint, our streak is now 0. 

Bare minimum, 2 in the BTT, and we're still relying on some luck then. 

Hard to tell...we're all guessing how the new rules are applied, but considering IU's history, the quality of their high-profile wins and how they are playing right now, they have to be a really tempting pick for the committee, as opposed to, for example, a fading Iowa or mediocre Ohio State.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Hard to tell...we're all guessing how the new rules are applied, but considering IU's history, the quality of their high-profile wins and how they are playing right now, they have to be a really tempting pick for the committee, as opposed to, for example, a fading Iowa or mediocre Ohio State.

Against those teams, yes, I think we have an advantage.  It's the Belmonts of the world that worry me. 

45 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

With the way the bubble has played out, I think we need to win two in the BTT to be a stone cold lock now.  I still think just winning against OSU will be enough, but I’ll be a little nervous on Selection Sunday if we’re sitting at 18-15.  19-15 with a third win over MSU, and there’s absolutely no way we’re not in.

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

With the way the bubble has played out, I think we need to win two in the BTT to be a stone cold lock now.  I still think just winning against OSU will be enough, but I’ll be a little nervous on Selection Sunday if we’re sitting at 18-15.  19-15 with a third win over MSU, and there’s absolutely no way we’re not in.

That's the way I see it.  I've heard some pundits say IU is in already, but that seems like a stretch.  I'm with Archie...just keep winning...

27 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Or Florida. Or Bama. Or Arizona State. Or Texas. There is no shortage of teams that have similar or worse resumes to us that are hitting their rough patch now. 

15 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think this is a really reasonable take. I think we should, and probably will, get in at 18-15 but 19-15 and I won't have any concerns on Sunday. 

11 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I saw a respectable bracket that put us all the way up at the 9 seed and had us matched up with Kentucky in round 2. It was making predictions as to how the rest of the week would play out, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised by that.

If it was a 'respectable' bracket, we would be solidly in the field and UK would be in the NIT.  :coffee:

5 minutes ago, KDB said:

Lunardi's updated bubble - IU the first team out, OSU the last team in.

954059179_ScreenShot2019-03-11at8_54_44AM.png.876cb454f491b35d464c54e964d5c513.png

People can have us out and I understand why....what they can't do though is have teams like Florida, Texas, Clemson, NC State in over us. Florida has 2 quad 1 wins. Clemson is like 1-9 in Quad 1 games. 

Having us out is fine....but you can't have us out over some of these other schools.

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

People can have us out and I understand why....what they can't do though is have teams like Florida, Texas, Clemson, NC State in over us. Florida has 2 quad 1 wins. Clemson is like 1-9 in Quad 1 games. 

Having us out is fine....but you can't have us out over some of these other schools.

That's the thing, though, is that once you start putting us over all those schools there is no way we are out. I firmly believe our losing streak is still fresh in a lot of bracketologist minds. 

It seems to me what our resume was a month ago shouldn't matter and likely won't when they actually do the tournament. The committee should be starting with an empty bracket when they do this, not one that had us way out of the field trying to work our way back in, which will likely put us over the teams you mentioned. 

57 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It makes no sense whatsoever. There's a reason Lunardi is one of the worst rated at brakets. Having Texas in right now is basically saying you think they're going to win the Big 12 Tournament, because any loss in that tournament gives them 16 for the season. Nobody is getting in with 16 losses. 

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Up to 51 in NET. Ahead of OSU and Minnesota. I originally thought we needed two in Chicago, but I think one gets us in unless Wofford, Gonzaga, VCU, and Washington all lose.  

This is where I am, and where I was after the W over MSU. Beat Rutgers (necessary), then get at least 1 game in the BTT (probably but not necessarily necessary) and we should be in. We have too many good W's followed by a strong close to the season to keep us out, imo -- but the game against OSU may be the deciding factor.

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Bingo.

The controversy surrounding placing IU in the tournament, and being in favor of the teams you mentioned above is mind boggling.

Some of these talking heads get extremely caught up in our losing streak. It's all they talk about when giving a case as to why IU should be out. If we would have spaced out our losses a little better, we would be firmly in. It's stupid, but in their minds, we would have been better off exchanging some Quad 1 wins for a couple more Quad 2 wins, so we didn't have a "losing streak".

Just now, BGleas said:

It makes no sense whatsoever. There's a reason Lunardi is one of the worst rated at brakets. Having Texas in right now is basically saying you think they're going to win the Big 12 Tournament, because any loss in that tournament gives them 16 for the season. Nobody is getting in with 16 losses. 

Lunardi really is an idiot. He's like the poster child for bad brackets.

Just now, cohete15 said:

Bingo.

The controversy surrounding placing IU in the tournament, and being in favor of the teams you mentioned above is mind boggling.

Some of these talking heads get extremely caught up in our losing streak. It's all they talk about when giving a case as to why IU should be out. If we would have spaced out our losses a little better, we would be firmly in. It's stupid, but in their minds, we would have been better off exchanging some Quad 1 wins for a couple more Quad 2 wins, so we didn't have a "losing streak".

Especially when you consider that we went through a long period of a reduced roster due to injuries, concussion protocol and other issues. Any assessment of IU has to consider health.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Lunardi really is an idiot. He's like the poster child for bad brackets.

Get what you are saying, and pretty much agree.....however, that idiot is probably taking ESPN for a fair amount of coin. So for being so bad at what he does, and still being compensated for so many years by his employer....who's really the idiots?

Archived