How do we make the NCAA tourney

Indykev

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

When I hear the talking heads at espn slamming the Power 5 conferences and their middle of the pack teams, it causes me to think how the committee might agree.  You believe we're in if we beat OSU.  I simply have room for doubt.

There are always teams that end up comfortably in that the ESPN/CBS ilk are shocked over

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah...that's the theme from those guys.  "Put the mid-majors in over the Power 5 middle of the pack teams.  They're more deserving and everybody loves David and Goliath."  Vitale yelling no one with 13, 14, 15 losses should be in the tournament.

Vitale would them complain the power 5 school played a week non conference so get wins. It’s complete BS.  The mid majors get 25 to 27 wins because competition more so than be really good

I agree with the Clemson is out. No good wins. You should have to have good wins. And IU has five top 30 net wins. Not many teams can say that. 

52 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I have a feeling we're going to have to win our tournament to get into the ncaa.  Hope I'm wrong for our guys sake.  Just don't feel good about the media's comments.

I don't think it's quite that bad, but I'm not sold on only needing one win either.  Could still get in with only 1, but we wouldn't be in control of our own destiny.  2 wins and I think we're in, no doubts. 

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah...that's the theme from those guys.  "Put the mid-majors in over the Power 5 middle of the pack teams.  They're more deserving and everybody loves David and Goliath."  Vitale yelling no one with 13, 14, 15 losses should be in the tournament.

If Duke had 22 losses, Dickie V would find a reason they should be in.  

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

I have a feeling we're going to have to win our tournament to get into the ncaa.  Hope I'm wrong for our guys sake.  Just don't feel good about the media's comments.

Who do they put in ahead of us?  And, don't just list a bunch of teams, because there are obviously some more deserving at large teams.  But, the bottom line is that if we win tomorrow, and there are no more huge upsets in conference tournaments, then I challenge anyone to find 36 more deserving at-large teams.   They simply are not there.  Yes, you could probably find 30.  But 36?  At that number, the committee is selecting teams with the same or worse resume as IU.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Who do they put in ahead of us?  And, don't just list a bunch of teams, because there are obviously some more deserving at large teams.  But, the bottom line is that if we win tomorrow, and there are no more huge upsets in conference tournaments, then I challenge anyone to find 36 more deserving at-large teams.   They simply are not there.  Yes, you could probably find 30.  But 36?  At that number, the committee is selecting teams with the same or worse resume as IU.

The problem is the "same".

If there are 8 relatively equal teams vying for those 6 spots, someone's getting left out. Now, win tomorrow and beat MSU for a 3rd time, we're into that first 30 you mentioned.

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The problem is the "same".

If there are 8 relatively equal teams vying for those 6 spots, someone's getting left out. Now, win tomorrow and beat MSU for a 3rd time, we're into that first 30 you mentioned.

We absolutely have to win tomorrow.  But, I don't think beating MSU a THIRD time should be required.   Every bracket seems to have Texas in, but if they lose to Kansas in the first round of the Big 12 tournament, they finish 16-16.  Every bracket seems to have Creighton in.  Explain to me how their resume is better.  Their KenPoM and NET ratings are not.  NC State played the worst non-conference schedule in the country.  

3 weeks ago, the idea of this thread was non-existent. We got healthy, started playing to the potential we showed early in the season, and here we are.

Just like everyone else here, I want us to go dancing. But if we lose tomorrow, and have to settle for the NIT, I am still going to be happy for this team. Given everything they have gone through this year, making any postseason tournament in CAM’s second year is a step forward.

I may not have felt this way 3 weeks ago, but seeing how we have played and how these kids have seemed to buy in to the program, I feel very optimistic that this year is a stepping stone to bigger and better things going forward 

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Actually I pretty much agree with them and I usually root for the under dog.  The only reason I care this year is that we are a bubble team but most years I would rather see a Belmont or a Furman get in over a 17-14 power conference team.  It is not these mid major teams fault that no one will play them in the non conference games because they don't want to lose to them.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

We absolutely have to win tomorrow.  But, I don't think beating MSU a THIRD time should be required.   Every bracket seems to have Texas in, but if they lose to Kansas in the first round of the Big 12 tournament, they finish 16-16.  Every bracket seems to have Creighton in.  Explain to me how their resume is better.  Their KenPoM and NET ratings are not.  NC State played the worst non-conference schedule in the country.  

You're spot on in every bit of that. The problem isn't in the analytics. It's if the humans selecting the field apply the analytics the right way.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Well neither Texas nor Creighton make espn's bracket right now.  You referenced them earlier.  And all I am saying is that the folks at espn don't seem to think much of the Power 5 schools with what they view as mediocre records...and that includes IU.  Jay Bilas ranks us 47 in his list of best 68 teams, but says we have too many losses.  I realize they're not the committee, but still they are the media.  I understand your point, but who knows how the committee is going to react to our 12 game losing streak.  Or how they're going to use the new analytical tools at their disposal.  It all gives me reason to doubt.  I surely hope you're right and I'm wrong.  I'd actually rather see us win our tournament and the automatic bid.  😁

Took a look at St. John's schedule and about threw up. I did an average of their season schedule vs. an average of our season schedule based on current NET ratings. Their combined average for all opponents excluding conference tourney action came out to 118. Ours was 89. That's a heck of a gap, basically allowing St. John's to match up with it's opponent 30 spots weaker in Division 1 competition on a nightly basis. 

Go Blue Demons.

Took a look at VCU's calculation for some mid-major perspective. Their average was 142.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Actually I pretty much agree with them and I usually root for the under dog.  The only reason I care this year is that we are a bubble team but most years I would rather see a Belmont or a Furman get in over a 17-14 power conference team.  It is not these mid major teams fault that no one will play them in the non conference games because they don't want to lose to them.

I pretty much agree with you. But as both of us being IU homeys. I think the IU label and the injuries that IU has had and the end of the year winning. IU  should push back a Furman or Belmont. Do either of those team win twice against Mich. State or even once.

13 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Syracuse and St Johns cruise to victory. Oklahoma, the team that could most afford to lose of the three, does indeed go down.

I thought Syracuse was slightly over Oklahoma in terms of safety from what I've read. You still think Oklahoma is safely in tourney after that loss?

Forgot Cuse did drop one at Clemson, maybe that factored in.

Tomorrow's slate is busy, busy busy. Basically, everyone of relevance is in action but VCU and Temple.

12pm ET window

IU/OSU (duh)

Akron/Buffalo (Buffalo must win)

NC State/Virginia (NC State to lose)

1pm

Arkansas/Florida (Florida to lose)

2:30pm

TCU/Kansas State (TCU to lose)

Creighton/Xavier (both on the bubble, better if Creighton loses)

3pm

Boise St/Nevada (Nevada must win)

USC/Washington (Washington must win)

7pm

St Johns/Marquette (St Johns to lose)

Penn State/Minnesota (Minnesota to lose)

Alabama/Ole Miss (both on the bubble, better if Ole Miss loses)

9pm

Syracuse/Duke (Syracuse to lose)

Texas/Kansas (Texas to lose)

New Mexico/Utah State (Utah State to lose)

UCLA/Arizona St (Arizona St to lose)

Illinois/Iowa (Iowa to lose)

Georgetown/Seton Hall (both on the bubble, better if Seton Hall loses)

Archived