How do we make the NCAA tourney

Indykev

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Jay Bilias just said "you cant polish a turd"...talking about IU and there wins/ losses

Hard to believe when they talked about Belmont getting in because of their 2 Q1 wins. 

Does the quadrant system matter? IU had 0 losses in the 2nd half of it. I guess I took that as bad losses but not turds. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So my big takeaway from that is Duke still got a 1, because Zion is back and they are a different team with him, but IU doesn't get to have our injuries factored in? 

Duke got fully healthy and won the ACC tournament looking like the best team in the nation by far. IU got fully healthy and got punked by an awful Ohio State team in a play-in game.  Committee’s decisions make perfect sense. 

I am shell shocked at the number of people miffed we didn’t get in as though IU this season “deserved” to be in the tourney. Folks we totally DID NOT! I would’ve loved to have it but we put ourselves in this miracle chance needed to get in and then are upset?! What?! Lol! We totally under achieved through together one last ditch effort and then even messed that up against OSU.

i was hoping but my gosh NOT expecting nor should we.

Some honest questions 

1.  If our current roster makeup had been together in January (Green, Phinny, Davis, and Thompson missing significant time), would we have won enough games to get in the tourney, and the 12/13 thing wouldn’t have happened?

2.  Are we capable of winning 1-2 games in the tourney?

3.  Is the committee honest about valuing difficult schedules and collecting wins against quality teams?  They said that in recent years.  Why the inconsistency from year to year. 

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Duke got fully healthy and won the ACC tournament looking like the best team in the nation by far. IU got fully healthy and got punked by an awful Ohio State team in a play-in game.  Committee’s decisions make perfect sense. 

Don't be ridiculous. We got healthy and won four of our last five games, including wins over OSU and Wisconsin. It makes zero sense to say Duke should get a one because of injuries but IU is left out despite injuries. 

Injuries either matter or they don't. 

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Some honest questions 

1.  If our current roster makeup had been together in January (Green, Phinny, Davis, and Thompson missing significant time), would we have won enough games to get in the tourney, and the 12/13 thing wouldn’t have happened?

3.  Is the committee honest about valuing difficult schedules and collecting wins against quality teams?  They said that in recent years.  Why the inconsistency from year to year. 

They flat out said "No" on point three today in an interview. They looked at total won/loss record over difficult schedules and Quad wins. 

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Some honest questions 

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Who knows?

I can't get over the ACC bias for #1 seeds. 

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Some honest questions 

1. Yes, but IU had more than enough available during the 1-12 stretch to win enough games to get in the tourney even with the injuries.

2. No, probably not capable of winning 1-2 games against tourney teams on a neutral court.

3. No, raw win total appears to be more important than quality wins and SOS.  Still IU’s own fault they didn’t get in.

As I recall we were skewered a couple of years ago for having one of those Tom Crean specials for a schedule.  Now, it turns out we get penalized for the hard schedule.  

The B1G is making money with the extra games, now a whopping twenty, plus the tourney.  Eccentric Fred benefits from the money, which is essentially handed to him.  Yet winning games and actually participating eludes him.  

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ok...well I’ll be interested to see how this team competes going forward. Important for Archie to get next year off on a positive note. If we have guys pack it in then maybe we need to ship some out.

I say if we want to show something then go win the NIT.

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Don't be ridiculous. We got healthy and won four of our last five games, including wins over OSU and Wisconsin. It makes zero sense to say Duke should get a one because of injuries but IU is left out despite injuries. 

Injuries either matter or they don't. 

Who’s being ridiculous?  IU beat two high seed teams at home, beat a bad team on the road, and beat a bad team at home.  Then looked awful losing to a bubble team in the conference tourney.  Duke beat a bubble team and two high seed teams on neutral courts, winning a conference title and looking like the best team in the nation in the process.  Injuries matter, but so does the eye test, home vs. away/neutral court games, conference tournament performance, etc.  It’s always going to be that way, no matter what metrics they use.  Indiana has no one to blame but themselves.

The Big Ten has not won a NC since 1999.  Why should we be respected like the ACC?  I don't know if I will watch the NIT, right now I consider the season over and am trying to shake my minor addiction to this program for a few months.  I need to detox.

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Who’s being ridiculous?  IU beat two high seed teams at home, beat a bad team on the road, and beat a bad team at home.  Then looked awful losing to a bubble team in the conference tourney.  Duke beat a bubble team and two high seed teams on neutral courts, winning a conference title and looking like the best team in the nation in the process.  Injuries matter, but so does the eye test, home vs. away/neutral court games, conference tournament performance, etc.  It’s always going to be that way, no matter what metrics they use.  Indiana has no one to blame but themselves.

We are comparing one team as a one seed and one as a last four in. Expecting similar results is dumb, yet here you are doing it. If injuries mattered for Duke and gets them a pass, it should for us. Consistency is important. 

Of course IU can only blame themselves. Doesn't mean there aren't bad selections. TCU getting left out is worse than IU. It isn't that we got left out, it's that ASU and SJU made it over numerous more deserving teams. 

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Some honest questions 

1.  Yes

2.  Yes

3.  No

All that being said, I hope the guys look at the fun the ladies team had last year blasting the NIT field and I hope they take it seriously.  It's real easy to mail it in when you're disappointed about not making the dance.

It is what it is at this point...you have a team that, while modestly improved, disappointed overall.  The causes were many and I'm not much of a fan of pointing fingers. You can bet the players and coaching staff are being critical of the teams failures.  I expect IU to have 20+ wins and an NCAA berth next season.  I don't demand or feel entitled to that expectation, but I can see progress through the disappointment.  These kids are learning how to play Archie Ball and the staff is learning how to coach and motivate this group.  Too late for this year, but a good base of information for next year when everybody arrives with another year of experience.  Hopefully, next year is a much better year as far as injuries go.  That alone probably means 3-4 more victories.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

We are comparing one team as a one seed and one as a last four in. Expecting similar results is dumb, yet here you are doing it. If injuries mattered for Duke and gets them a pass, it should for us. Consistency is important. 

Of course IU can only blame themselves. Doesn't mean there aren't bad selections. TCU getting left out is worse than IU. It isn't that we got left out, it's that ASU and SJU made it over numerous more deserving teams. 

Yeah...it's not now nor ever has been a perfect system.  

I think about this every year, but it blows my mind watching "football schools" like Tennessee, Auburn, Michigan, LSU, FSU, Flordia, Wisco, Ohio St, Oregon, etc. consistently make the tournament and we've missed more than we've made as a "basketball school" for the last decade. 

How we haven't figured this out by now is nuts.

The thing I take away from this is how frustrated I am with the way the selection is done.  Teams are told that schedule matters, quality wins matter, so they go schedule tough games, and then the committee puts in teams like Belmont.  

It's not even about IU not getting in; it was just such a disingenuous process this year that several teams ought to feel cheated. 

All that's going to come of this is for power conference teams to water down their non-conference schedules even more, because if you play a tough non-conference schedule and then get unlucky with injuries, you're just asking to miss it at this point.  You have to hedge your bets racking up wins where you can.

In short, the selection committee has single-handedly ensured a more boring non-conference slate for the next few years.

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So is the injury analysis supposed to be applied the same way across the board, or should it be applied differently based on the team’s projected seed position?  You’re contradicting yourself. Regardless, the injury “analysis” is inherently subjective anyway, so complaining that it wasn’t applied in the way you thought it should be is ridiculous to begin with.  There are always arguments for and against every one of the last 4 teams in and the first 4 teams out.  That’s how the tournament works.

The bottom line is IU didn’t get in because they didn’t do enough to make themselves a clear choice over teams like St. John’s and ASU.

Good point, Rogue.  Imagine if IU lost to Marquette and Louisville and then had all those player losses in January.  The program would have been reeling so far that there’s no way they’d schedule possible losses. 

The sweet spot may be to try to get the 150 ish power ranking schools instead of some bigger schools and try to get a bunch of wins. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I think about this every year, but it blows my mind watching "football schools" like Tennessee, Auburn, Michigan, LSU, FSU, Flordia, Wisco, Ohio St, Oregon, etc. consistently make the tournament and we've missed more than we've made as a "basketball school" for the last decade. 

How we haven't figured this out by now is nuts.

What's the answer?

Archived