How do we make the NCAA tourney

Indykev

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I am shell shocked at the number of people miffed we didn’t get in as though IU this season “deserved” to be in the tourney. Folks we totally DID NOT! I would’ve loved to have it but we put ourselves in this miracle chance needed to get in and then are upset?! What?! Lol! We totally under achieved through together one last ditch effort and then even messed that up against OSU.

i was hoping but my gosh NOT expecting nor should we.

I agree that I didn’t think IU deserved in, the problem on my end is their rational is completely backwards.  Belmont makes it with their strong quad one wins which is two?  ASU and that trash conference?  St. John’s?  They literally trashed their brand new system and no power conf should be like the BIG and add more conf games.  It makes no sense.  That’s what I have issue with and any power conf should be concerned if they are on the bubble in the future.

8 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

The thing I take away from this is how frustrated I am with the way the selection is done.  Teams are told that schedule matters, quality wins matter, so they go schedule tough games, and then the committee puts in teams like Belmont.  

It's not even about IU not getting in; it was just such a disingenuous process this year that several teams ought to feel cheated. 

All that's going to come of this is for power conference teams to water down their non-conference schedules even more, because if you play a tough non-conference schedule and then get unlucky with injuries, you're just asking to miss it at this point.  You have to hedge your bets racking up wins where you can.

In short, the selection committee has single-handedly ensured a more boring non-conference slate for the next few years.

Belmont nonconference strength of schedule was in the 80's vs IU in the 190s. So in games Belmont could choose they scheduled a tougher schedule than IU. 

4 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I agree that I didn’t think IU deserved in, the problem on my end is their rational is completely backwards.  Belmont makes it with their strong quad one wins which is two?  ASU and that trash conference?  St. John’s?  They literally trashed their brand new system and no power conf should be like the BIG and add more conf games.  It makes no sense.  That’s what I have issue with and any power conf should be concerned if they are on the bubble in the future.

Right, it isn't even just about us. Why did NC State or TCU get left out? The vibe I'm getting from most of the people upset isn't that we didn't make it, it's that we didn't make it and teams like ASU and SJU did. 

Pro tip if you want to make the dance: don't lose 12 of 13 at the most critical juncture of the season. It's not rocket science. Win just a few more of those games and we're in. I don't know what all the hubbub is about. 

8 minutes ago, Riverrat said:

Belmont nonconference strength of schedule was in the 80's vs IU in the 190s. So in games Belmont could choose they scheduled a tougher schedule than IU. 

You're telling me this is a harder non-conference schedule than IU's?

Screenshot_20190317-191024_Chrome.jpg

17 minutes ago, Riverrat said:

The entirety of Belmont's non-con that wouldn't have been cupcake games for IU consists of Purdue and UCLA, and they lost to Purdue, so I'm going to have to go ahead and say that those stats are rubbish.

Edit:  This further substantiates my suspicion that the committee didn't really look very much beyond the win/loss column.  Anyone who actually LOOKED at the schedules wouldn't be able to say that Belmont had a harder schedule.  This is a tournament that's arguably the largest sporting even in the country; they need to be doing a better job.  

Indiana hasnt been great in the last 20-25 years. Sure a decent season here and there but this isnt the IU of the 70s-90's. Need to build a new identity. Will they become a traditional blue blood again...eh hard to say, its hard to have faith that we will when each year are the same results. Will my love for IU ever fade...probably not. I dont get mad anymore about disappointing seasons because its out of my hands. Think about this for a second, next year and the year after will be the start of incoming freshmen that wasn't even born yet when IU was in the national championship game vs Maryland.....let that sink in

16 minutes ago, Riverrat said:

Then does total body of work matter? IU knew the B10 schedule would pull up the overall SOS, and it did. 

I also agree that Belmont’s schedule doesn’t seem that tough. 

And at at the end of the day, they said it came down to total number of wins.

I think the tournament selection would be a whole lot better if they took the regular season conference champions as opposed to the tournament champions, but I doubt they'll ever go to that as there'd be money lost.

But we wouldn't be putting teams in the tournament as an at-large who had a lot of wins, but didn't really play any good teams.

I thought the committee did pretty well and I only had two complaints.  One St. Johns getting in and UC getting a 7 seed because they should have been a lot higher.  I have no problem with Belmont getting in because I rather see mid major teams who actually wins games on their schedule over a team that can't even finish .500 in conference.  To me one rule they should implement is that to be an at large team you have to finish above .500 in conference.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

1.  Yes

2.  Yes

3.  No

All that being said, I hope the guys look at the fun the ladies team had last year blasting the NIT field and I hope they take it seriously.  It's real easy to mail it in when you're disappointed about not making the dance.

It is what it is at this point...you have a team that, while modestly improved, disappointed overall.  The causes were many and I'm not much of a fan of pointing fingers. You can bet the players and coaching staff are being critical of the teams failures.  I expect IU to have 20+ wins and an NCAA berth next season.  I don't demand or feel entitled to that expectation, but I can see progress through the disappointment.  These kids are learning how to play Archie Ball and the staff is learning how to coach and motivate this group.  Too late for this year, but a good base of information for next year when everybody arrives with another year of experience.  Hopefully, next year is a much better year as far as injuries go.  That alone probably means 3-4 more victories.

People often forget what it is to leave a legacy. You’re name is tied to this season right now. Do you want people to leave it where it is now or have people then say “but then they Did jump into the NIT and rolled!”

I think the one way you can maybe make people think they made a mistake leaving you out of the dance is by going and winking the NIT. If you pout and lose that proves you CERTAINLY never should’ve been in it because you didn’t have the fortitude to do much anyway.

14 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

They literally just said they looked at total losses more than NET so there you have it

I had a longer reply typed out since the biggest changes were not playing home and homes with two in-state teams like last season against ISU and IPFW. , but no point since you;re not wrong .I just call blaming the schedule making excuses. I think it's the same with injuries. Maybe valid , but still excuses.I was wrong in thinking the kind of play that led to that losing streak would end once they were healthy. They just have to play better.  

Ok it cost them, but so did inconsistent play and they had plenty of opportunities so I think no matter how much we sit and point to the OOC or scheduling, or injuries for that matter,  they still needed to do more on the court and it starts with being more consistent within games and from game to game.. At the end of the day that is what matters no matter who they face.  . So this won;t go anywhere it hasn't already. 

Archived