How do we make the NCAA tourney

Indykev

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My nephew goes there so I've watched a few games. I told him I'm tired of these fake lofty schedule driven rankings for the Zags. Been going on for years

Just my opinon.  Gonzaga losing just shows how fake their record actually is. Could actually make the argument this is why we want bad conferences out because the play is so poor.

IU has two more quad 1 wins than the Zags. What would their record be in B1G or ACC?

They did beat Duke on neutral court but lost to TN & NC. 

They beat Illinois by 6 on neutral court when ILL was terrible 

Of the Zags 30 wins, 11 are quad 4 and 9 are quad 3. They don’t run the gauntlet of a power 5 conference 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Watching  the game last night it look like the Zags were not really into the game and almost looked like they were throwing the game.  Maybe the conference office encouraged them to lose so they could get a second bid from their conference.

It is college basketball so I would not be surprised but what I saw was Saint Mary's looked like a very well-oiled smooth machine bunch of guys that knew their role play together and we're hitting shots.  

Gonzaga beat the brakes off of them previously and looked like they thought they could just show up and out Flex them again with their talent

St. Mary's isn't exactly an out of nowhere upset.  Randy Bennett has been the perpetual thorn in Mark Few's side for the better part of 2 decades now.  He got the job at St. Mary's 2 seasons after Few, and has a career winning percentage of 70%.  Yes, that's inflated because they're not in a major conference.  Still, you've got to be at least a decent coach to hold that winning percentage even in a weak conference. 

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I do not see both IU and OSU making it in. I think Thurs is an elimination game.

Same here.  Well, similar anyway.  I think tomorrow's loser is out.  Winner still has a pretty good chance, but there's a lot of dice that are still tumbling. 

13 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I do not see both IU and OSU making it in. I think Thurs is an elimination game. 

IU had better make it so Evan Fitzner is not stuck at home watching St Marys play in the tournament. That would be a cruel twist of fate. 

That would certainly seem to be conventional wisdom - I'm not so sure though. I think the strength of the Big Ten's out of conference wins might weigh heavier than the bracket predictors think. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see us both make it. If we beat them in a close game, I still like their chances. If it goes the other way it will be tougher for us, but I don't think we're definitely out. 

23 minutes ago, Reacher said:

IU had better make it so Evan Fitzner is not stuck at home watching St Marys play in the tournament. That would be a cruel twist of fate. 

IU would probably be firmly in the tournament if Fitzner hadn’t been such a waste of a scholarship this season.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

IU would probably be firmly in the tournament if Fitzner hadn’t been such a waste of a scholarship this season.

We don't know if / who would have replaced Evan. All reports is Evan has been a good teammate. Wouldn't say he was waste at all. Fine for the back end of a roster to fill a niche. Wasn't recruited to be a starter.

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And who did we turn away in favor of Fitzner?

Me!  I ran into that eligibility thingy that IU could have skirted around.  But they didn't want a 51 year old man that stands 5-10 and weighs 185...chucking up 3's.  But I did get a nice meal on my visit.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I didn't say IU paid for it!!!!!!!!!

They can give you a bagel. Just no cream cheese or peanut butter.  That takes it from a snack to a meal. 

And I really wish I were making this up.  Not sure if it still is, but that was an NCAA rule at one point. 

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

They can give you a bagel. Just no cream cheese or peanut butter.  That takes it from a snack to a meal. 

And I really wish I were making this up.  Not sure if it still is, but that was an NCAA rule at one point. 

Well, I went to the Golden Corral on my own dime.  LOL

31 minutes ago, Reacher said:

We don't know if / who would have replaced Evan. All reports is Evan has been a good teammate. Wouldn't say he was waste at all. Fine for the back end of a roster to fill a niche. Wasn't recruited to be a starter.

Except he hasn’t filled a niche at all.  Averaged 9 mpg, 2 ppg, and 1 rpg and shot 16% from three and 28% overall in conference games, on top of playing terrible defense.  Wasn’t even an upgrade over Tim Priller.

Who knows who we could’ve got otherwise, but if he would’ve been able to provide literally anything, we’re probably not on the bubble right now.

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Fitzner didn't transfer until May.  Unless there was a different grad or juco pounding down our door, wasn't much of a chance to get an extreme difference maker that time of year.

Well then it would’ve been nice if Fitzner would’ve been able to contribute something this season, wouldn’t it?  Or if the coaching staff had prioritized another transfer earlier in the offseason.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Well then it would’ve been nice if Fitzner would’ve been able to contribute something this season, wouldn’t it?  Or if the coaching staff had prioritized another transfer earlier in the offseason.

OK, Carnac...Fitz was a career 40% 3-point shooter coming to IU.  Were you really turning down that potential in May?

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

OK, Carnac...Fitz was a career 40% 3-point shooter coming to IU.  Were you really turning down that potential in May?

I’m just a dummy on a message board, not a coach who gets paid top dollar to put together a roster.  Regardless, my only point was that I won’t feel bad for Fitzner if St. Mary’s ends up making the tournament and IU doesn’t, as he hasn’t helped IU’s cause at all in that regard.

21 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m just a dummy on a message board, not a coach who gets paid top dollar to put together a roster.  Regardless, my only point was that I won’t feel bad for Fitzner if St. Mary’s ends up making the tournament and IU doesn’t, as he hasn’t helped IU’s cause at all in that regard.

He did help early on especially against Marquette

Archived