Hatchet Job on the Hoosiers

IUFLA

48 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think there is a parallel in that with Indiana as well.  We generally do best when we are relying fairly heavily on in state talent.  Illinois does pretty well when they are able to land the talent.  Chicago is an interesting place to recruit to say the least, but the right coach at Illinois could get it done, they just do not have a guy smarmy enough to pull it off.

I suppose they just haven’t found that coach yet...in their HISTORY. Lol

54 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think there is a parallel in that with Indiana as well.  We generally do best when we are relying fairly heavily on in state talent.  Illinois does pretty well when they are able to land the talent.  Chicago is an interesting place to recruit to say the least, but the right coach at Illinois could get it done, they just do not have a guy smarmy enough to pull it off.

But the right coach?  They have had plenty of those...they just choose to not stick around long.

8 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I suppose they just haven’t found that coach yet...in their HISTORY. Lol

They have, as Rico said they tend to move on.  Lou-do was not a terrible coach and he knew how to play the recruiting game in that area at the time ($).  Self did well and according to the FBI, he knew how to play the game too based on what is going on at Kansas under him.

Do we have the better history than them?  Yes.  5 banners puts us above them.  However, we have fallen out of Top 10 for all time wins with our recent slide to number 11 (1,817) and Illinois sits at #16 (1,778).  Those other blue bloods mentioned in the article sit at 1, 2, 3, and 7.  The only one within striking distance being UCLA.  The top 3 on that list have 400 more wins and quite a bit of that lead was developed by winning about 8 to 10 games more than us every year since the late 90's.

Our blue blood position is extremely precarious right now because it has to be sustained success.  We have not had sustained success since 1994.  Again, as I mentioned, the last people to see sustained success and actually remember it were born maybe in 1985.  That would put them at early elementary age when Cheaney graduated and late elementary when Henderson did.  Our sustained success ended then.  Since then we have had a few Big Ten titles and one lucky run in the NCAA tournament.  To someone in their mid 30's or younger, the only thing separating us from Illinois, is a bunch of championships that they do not remember.  That sucks but that is reality.  "But, but fans and recruiting"  Awesome, you know that there are quite a few other states that have more recruits than Indiana does and we had quite a few people complaining about lack of fan support lately.  So what I am saying is that if UConn with their 4 titles is not a blue blood because they could not sustain it, then we have to be really darn close to handing that over too.

So laugh at me all you want but we are firmly in the danger zone right now.  We are a second tier program and tumbling.  We have not been an elite program in 25 years.  Ask most people outside of the Indiana bubble and at best they could say we are a sleeping giant.  It is also possible we are an old wounded lion looking for a place to lie down.  That seemed to be the approach of our admin over the past 25 years.

23 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think I am part of the last generation that really remembers what this program was when it was clicking.  I was in the second grade when we won our last title.  I was middle school aged in 1992 and 1993.  I am 40 now.  If you are much younger than me, you do not remember watching the championship win and you probably barely remember the Cheaney teams.

I'm 36 and can vouch for this. I hadn't yet turned five when we won our last championship, and our family was living in Texas at the time. I read about the Cheaney teams in the Indy Star, but I was still in grade school. My memories of Bob Knight are of losing to Colorado and Pepperdine, not of Isiah Thomas and Steve Alford. I didn't become a die hard fan until I arrived on campus, which just happened to be the year Mike Davis took us to the championship game. What a way to become hooked for life! Sadly it didn't last.

Here's some perspective: The run we had from Zeller's first season to Yogi's last is the most successful that Indiana Basketball has been within my living memory.

32 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I'm 36 and can vouch for this. I hadn't yet turned five when we won our last championship, and our family was living in Texas at the time. I read about the Cheaney teams in the Indy Star, but I was still in grade school. My memories of Bob Knight are of losing to Colorado and Pepperdine, not of Isiah Thomas and Steve Alford. I didn't become a die hard fan until I arrived on campus, which just happened to be the year Mike Davis took us to the championship game. What a way to become hooked for life! Sadly it didn't last.

Here's some perspective: The run we had from Zeller's first season to Yogi's last is the most successful that Indiana Basketball has been within my living memory.

My son is 27, an IU grad, but most of what he learned about IU basketball came from me.  He is hooked too, and longs for us to be like we were in my day.  Kind of sad when you think about it.

But I take solace in the fact that we are still relevant nationally.  That doesn't happen to some schools like UNLV, San Francisco, DePaul, who have completely fallen off the map.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

My son is 27, an IU grad, but most of what he learned about IU basketball came from me.  He is hooked too, and longs for us to be like we were in my day.  Kind of sad when you think about it.

But I take solace in the fact that we are still relevant nationally.  That doesn't happen to some schools like UNLV, San Francisco, DePaul, who have completely fallen off the map.

Sounds like you raised him right

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I have 4 boys that range in age from 3 to 10.  They know we are IU fans because Dad is, but they would rather watch the Colts than IU basketball.  My 10 year old is at about the age when I really started to get into IU basketball and he is really just not that interested.  I have heard some of his friends talk about basketball around him before and when Indiana gets brought up, the consensus is that we suck.  Now that can get turned around but the alarm bells should be going off if you are running IU right now.  

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

And here's some more perspective...

I went to my first IU game in 1963 vs Illinois. I was 5. My dad was a rabid IU fan. The 63 team had The Great Jimmy Rayl, Tom Boyland, the Van Arsdale twins, and Jon McGlocklin. I was hooked. IU was 10 years removed from this last national championship at the time. IU struggled for the rest of the 60s, save the surprise Big 10 title in 1967. But I was a die-hard. And even then, we had a history.

It was easy being an IU fan during the Knight years. We were always decent and at times great. Since RMK left, it's been trying at times, but my fandom has never wavered. And our history was injected with Blueblood.

I guess my point is, if you talk about the history of college basketball, it wouldn't be too far into the conversation before IU came up. I would imagine the conversation would be a quite stale before one got to the halcyon days of Johnny "Red" Kerr, Marcus Liberty, and even Dee Brown that an Illini fan would trot out.

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I guess my point is, if you talk about the history of college basketball, it wouldn't be too far into the conversation before IU came up.

1917: Indiana's Men's Gymnasium becomes the first facility in the country to install glass backboards. 

Doesn't get much earlier than that.

Archived