NBA Thread

Really interesting read.  Cool to see Yogi in the cover photo, and good for JBJ for getting mentioned.  I wonder if the Dee Brown mentioned in the article is the former Illini player?  I loved that Illinois team, glad to see he’s done well for himself.

Interesting idea about the “redshirt contracts.”  It seems like that would work in theory, but I think the exposure provided by big time college basketball would still attract most of the high-level talent.   Not a bad idea though.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The redshirt contract is $77K?  That's more than I expected and at least gives players a number they can cover expenses with.  That makes the G league more attractive than the old NBADL by a long shot.

This was intentional. The NBA has spent some time trying to figure out what exactly it wants the "G League"/NBDL to be. The way I see it, there is really no downside to the league investing more money into the G League. If they could get it to a point where the salaries were respectable, maybe it could offer a solution to the one and done model? I know NBA folks were at least partially against the straight to the NBA out of high school rule because it meant larger risk for NBA teams. High school prospects are the definition of hit and miss.  For every  Lebron or Garnett there are 10 Kwame Brown's.

If the G League pay was respectable, and the age rule was removed, teams could simply draft players and stash them in the G League where they would have time to develop and improve prior to playing with the big boys. This is already happening to some degree. Just my .02

Just watched the end of the Thunder’s loss to the Kings.  PG with an awful game - 4/16 from the field and totally invisible in crunch time, except for the three he bricked with less than 30 seconds left.  Watching that game, it seems that Melo has established himself as the clear #2 on the Thunder.

Meanwhile, it looks like Zeller is still rounding into form coming off his injury.  This clip gave me Trevor Mbakwe flashbacks.

https://streamable.com/sz1jz

Edited by FW_Hoosier

13 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Just watched the end of the Thunder’s loss to the Kings.  PG with an awful game - 4/16 from the field and totally invisible in crunch time, except for the three he bricked with less than 30 seconds left.  Watching that game, it seems that Melo has established himself as the clear #2 on the Thunder.

Meanwhile, it looks like Zeller is still rounding into form coming off his injury.  This clip gave me Trevor Mbakwe flashbacks.

https://streamable.com/sz1jz

Really, couldn't be further off. 

Anthony was 4-17, to go along with Westbrook's 7-21. They all shot poorly and last I checked 4-17 is worse than 4-16. PG was -2 on the night. Carmelo was -21. Did you actually watch the game?

The Thunder were up 25-10 and PG was 2-4 for 6 points in the first quarter, they were dominating, then they went to sleep and all played poorly and down to the lowly Kings.

In the prior game, PG finished 10-21 for the game high of 27 points, to go with 5 boards and 3 steals. Melo was kicked out of the game on a BS call, finished with 15 (and -9).

Same deal in the L to the Celtics. The Thunder were up 18, then they went to sleep. It's a recurring theme and one they have to address. Won the first quarter 31-18, and the 2nd 24-19. Lost the second half badly.But PG was 9-20 for 25 (again, game high), 10 rebounds in his double-double. Melo the clear #2, what? Melo was 3-17 for 10 points in that game and the reason why they lost.

4 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

McMillan's rotations were ridiculous last night in the second half. Trotted out a five man group of Joseph, Lance, Joe Young, Leaf and Jefferson. That was a disaster.

Pacers clearly missed Sabonis badly.

Yeah this is going to be a problem. The Vogel firing and going with McMillan is going to continue to hurt the P's. I hope they replace him after this season, definitely good young talent on this team -- and wouldn't sweat the L's when the P's are playing well and then give up leads, sign of a young team, and a newly constructed team. That should take care of itself with time, at least if they get past the problems with McMillan's coaching.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Really, couldn't be further off. 

Anthony was 4-17, to go along with Westbrook's 7-21. They all shot poorly and last I checked 4-17 is worse than 4-16. PG was -2 on the night. Carmelo was -21. Did you actually watch the game?

The Thunder were up 25-10 and PG was 2-4 for 6 points in the first quarter, they were dominating, then they went to sleep and all played poorly and down to the lowly Kings.

In the prior game, the Thunder were up 18 on the Trail Blazers, then they went to sleep. It's a recurring theme and one they have to address. PG finished 10-21 for the game high of 27 points, to go with 5 boards and 3 steals. Melo was kicked out of the game on a BS call, finished with 15 (and -9).

Same deal in the L to the Celtics. Won the first quarter 31-18, and the 2nd 24-19. Lost the second half badly.But PG was 9-20 for 25 (again, game high), 10 rebounds in his double-double. Melo the clear #2, what? Melo was 3-17 for 10 points in that game and the reason why they lost.

Are you guys going to do this all season, wait until PG has a bad game and then post negatively about him? Good grief.

You know I’ve been on your side in the PG debate.  I just turned on the last 3 or 4 minutes of that game last night, and Melo seemed to be much more involved in the offense, while PG was pretty invisible.  Just giving my thoughts on that one stretch of the game I watched, no axe to grind.  Interestingly, Melo and PG have pretty much identical stats through the first 10 games.  Either way, the Thunder have really been struggling to start the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You know I’ve been on your side in the PG debate.  I just turned on the last 3 or 4 minutes of that game last night, and Melo seemed to be much more involved in the offense, while PG was pretty invisible.  Just giving my thoughts on that one stretch of the game I watched, no axe to grind.  Interestingly, Melo and PG have pretty much identical stats through the first 10 games.  Either way, the Thunder have really been struggling to start the season.

Yeah sorry if that came across as argumentative, was just surprised but now I see what you're saying -- and you're very much right that the Thunder need to get it together. I think, but am not yet sure, that they'll turn the proverbial corner by figuring out how to play together the full game and not just the first half, and otherwise iron out how to work together down the stretch. I've actually liked Melo's effort to back off being so ball dominant and contribute more on a team effort basis. All three of them seem to still be working on figuring that out -- I don't like seeing Westbrook continue to jack up 3's and long 2's when he has PG and Melo with him.

Pacers and Vic ended their 4-game losing streak with an emphatic performance from Vic last night against the Bulls, 11-20 for 25 to go with 6 assists, 6 boards and 2 steals. Bogdanovic 8-12 for 22, Turner 5-11 for 11 with 9 boards, Collison 7 assists, Young 6-13.

Nicely reflected, from the trade perspective, in the Thunder's W over the Clippers also ending a 4-game skid, with PG scoring 42 on 13-22 and, good to see, 12-15 from the stripe, 9 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals. Thunder with PG and Melo have been playing a lot of iso ball and taking long 2's (both PG and Melo),  not a good formula. The way they played last night is their recipe for becoming the team most expected. Westbrook 8-16 with 8 assists, Melo 5-12 and 6 boards. Forced 18 TO's.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is it that Victor gets fouled alot going to the hoop and never gets a foul call? It seems like Vic isn't getting the love that alot of other players do. I guess I am a homer but seriously there are some blatant fouls that never get called. It also seems like Vic is becoming the alpha and leader of the Pacers. I may be off about this but it seems like some troubles started happening when Turner came back. With Sabonis in there things flow pretty well and with Turner it seems like he is trying to find his place in the pecking order. 

26 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

It also seems like Vic is becoming the alpha and leader of the Pacers. I may be off about this but it seems like some troubles started happening when Turner came back. With Sabonis in there things flow pretty well and with Turner it seems like he is trying to find his place in the pecking order. 

That seems like a plausible explanation of what the Pacers went through.  Turner was kinda tagged as the new face of the Pacers when George left, but I think that changed when Vic was acquired and Turner is probably still trying to figure it out.  Vic is very much a leader but I see him as a benevolent leader who realizes the value of Turner and will at some point (if he hasn't already) have a conversation to let Turner know he's wanted and valued. If everyone gets on the same page and they have decent coaching, this group could be a pleasant surprise.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

That seems like a plausible explanation of what the Pacers went through.  Turner was kinda tagged as the new face of the Pacers when George left, but I think that changed when Vic was acquired and Turner is probably still trying to figure it out.  Vic is very much a leader but I see him as a benevolent leader who realizes the value of Turner and will at some point (if he hasn't already) have a conversation to let Turner know he's wanted and valued. If everyone gets on the same page and they have decent coaching, this group could be a pleasant surprise.

Vic is now a veteran, Turner's still young and he's not there yet.

Turner probably has a higher ceiling than Vic, but then Vic is playing at a really high level right now and this situation with the Pacers seems to be the best fit he's had so far in the League. Turner's coming back from an injury and he's dealing with trying to be the new face of the franchise, as expected, while Vic has come in and looks, right now, like the face of the franchise. This will get ironed out over time, but Turner needs to be given time to grow. Tons of talent, but not a franchise player, at least at this point.

Meanwhile Sabonis was playing like a legit starter, now he's coming off the bench. Still a lot to iron out for the Pacers.

19 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Is it just me or is it that Victor gets fouled alot going to the hoop and never gets a foul call? It seems like Vic isn't getting the love that alot of other players do. I guess I am a homer but seriously there are some blatant fouls that never get called. It also seems like Vic is becoming the alpha and leader of the Pacers. I may be off about this but it seems like some troubles started happening when Turner came back. With Sabonis in there things flow pretty well and with Turner it seems like he is trying to find his place in the pecking order. 

This is the same thing PG dealt with as a Pacer. Some felt he complained too much, but in fairness, Pacers generally do not get the calls that franchise players on big market teams, or say Cleveland, get. This has been going on a long time.

43 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is the same thing PG dealt with as a Pacer. Some felt he complained too much, but in fairness, Pacers generally do not get the calls that franchise players on big market teams, or say Cleveland, get. This has been going on a long time.

It's not a big market vs. small market thing, it's a star vs. non-star thing. I hate it as much as anyone, but the stars get the calls, it's just the way it is. LeBron can take 8 steps in a pirouette down the lane and ESPN is talking about his brilliance, then guys like Oladipo take one extra half step and it's a travel.  

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's not a big market vs. small market thing, it's a star vs. non-star thing. I hate it as much as anyone, but the stars get the calls, it's just the way it is. LeBron can take 8 steps in a pirouette down the lane and ESPN is talking about his brilliance, then guys like Oladipo take one extra half step and it's a travel.  

PG is a star Gleas. He didn't get the calls. It can be big market vs. small market or power team vs. non-power team. Can name a number of star players who don't get the calls that guys like Harden, LeBron, Curry, et al. get. Hell even Westbrook has been dissed by the refs recently.

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

PG is a star Gleas. He didn't get the calls. It can be big market vs. small market or power team vs. non-power team. Can name a number of star players who don't get the calls that guys like Harden, LeBron, Curry, et al. get. Hell even Westbrook has been dissed by the refs recently.

I think there's two facets to this.  Without rehashing the PG debate, surely we can agree he isn't at the level of those guys? The second if that PG tends to show up the refs when he doesn't get a call, human nature says you're not going to get more calls after showing someone up.  That's just my perspective.  I know other guys whine too, it just seemed like PG did it a lot more -- maybe because he got calls less than the other guys though (and I do agree with you on that).

On 11/13/2017 at 5:23 PM, FKIM01 said:

Thank you. You put it in much more eloquent terms. I believe that the Pacers as a whole have bought into the idea of team basketball it is just now they are trying to figure out where they all fit in not to mention getting used to each other still. It is much more a joy to watch the Pacers now vs the iso ball PG era. I also hope OG becomes a huge steal. Just wish the Pacers could have picked him up.