NBA Thread

40 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I did not get to see the Pacers/Mavs game last night, but I thought it would be interesting to see 2 great former IU players go at it against each other, Yogi and Victor. But I see where VO did not play last night. Too bad. How did Yogi do?

Yogi put a dagger in the P's. 

50 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

Is there any reliable timeline out there for Vic's return? Pacers are falling out of the playoff race quickly...

Still lots of time in the season left but these past few games have been concerning.

I saw Vic at church yesterday morning.  I saw no indication of an injury.  Hope he will be back soon.

14 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That means he didn't have a good game, right?

I didn't watch that game, so can only look at the box -- but the box shows OG had the highest plus-minus for either team, at +16, on 35 minutes played. He had 6 boards, 2 assists, and 1 TO. Again, didn't see the game, but can't think he had a bad game with that plus-minus, and they got the W. Worth noting that DeRozan took 29 shots, and scored 52 (a franchise record), so he had the hot hand.

^^ OG didn't have a good game last night, but he's generally been playing really well. DeRozan's playing great, but Lowry, well, not a Lowry fan.

Taking a minute (briefly) to go back to the PG and Vic Pacers/Thunder discussion, as it's great to see it's working out well for both of them, and the Pacers and Thunder.

Good new piece on PG, he's playing outstanding two-way ball right now - http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21952053/nba-how-paul-george-changed-game-alongside-russell-westbrook

As of now, PG is

- 1st in the NBA in steals per game (by a good margin, 2.4), and total steals (86).

- 1st in deflections (deflections in the NBA are tracked and matter), almost a full deflection per game ahead of the second player.

- 3rd in overall defensive win shares (2.2), and 5th in real plus-minus among SF's (note that OG is 9th)

- 3rd in 3-pointers made, and shooting at 43% (16th in 3-point percentage - on more shots taken than everyone ahead of him other than Klay T)

-  22nd in PPG, at 20.7, as he's playing with Westbrook (who leads the NBA in FG attempts - and misses), but also at least 24 in his last 4 games and 21.4 in last 10, as he, Westbrook and Anthony appear to have figured out the offense, with Westbrook taking significantly fewer 3's but otherwise attacking more and looking to score.

As the article notes, PG is on track to becoming the 1st player in a decade to average more than 20 ppg and 2.4 steals per game. Top flight 2-way player, again.

Meanwhile the Thunder are firing on  almost all cylinders, 7-3 in last 10 and 13-5 in last 18, with W's over the Rockets, Toronto, Denver, Spurs, and Minn. Thunder probably will be a 4th or 5th seed in the West, with the possibility of playing Golden State (who they're 1-0 against) in the playoffs. 

And as of now Vic (who needs to get back, Pacers need him badly) is

- 10th in PPG at 24.9, outstanding

- 4th in real plus minus among 2-guards

- 16th in 3-pointers made, at 42% (so much for the idea he isn't a good 3-point shooter, ahem, Gleas :D)

- 11th in steals per game (always a two-way player!)

- 15th in PER

- 19th overall in box plus-minus

- 18th in VORP

So both teams appear to have ended up really well and many, including myself, were wrong (at least so far) about Vic's level of impact on the P's. Hope he recovers soon. I would expect his numbers to start to go down a bit, as high as they've been, but regardless, it's clear that he is personally a much better player as an on-the-ball first option, lead player, than a second or third option playing with a ball dominant guard (Westbrook). Some players need the ball in their hands, I think it's pretty clear now that applies to Vic, and is why he played poorly last season. He can carry the P's, and PG is now shining with Westbrook, and, if Vic gets healthy, Pacers can make the playoffs. Great result for both teams.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Yes I think the P's were overachieving a bit, but Vic is clearly their engine now and they need him back in a big way. Can still make the playoffs with him back and healthy, hope he returns soon. Last word I saw was that he was not practicing yet. Hopefully he's back on the court quickly.

Very disappointed in Myles Turner and the quicker he realizes that he is 7 foot tall the better.  I am tired of seeing him think he is a 7 foot shooting guard.

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oladipo is back, and the Pacers are crushing the Bulls at the half, 64-37, Vic has 16 at the half on 7-9 shooting. Not too shabby. And 6 assists.

I was at the game as well.  At one point,  Vic had three straight steals, the last one with an emphatic dunk. He looked great and he makes everyone around him better. TJ Leaf didn't miss and Sabonis just killed it on the pick and roll. Pacers looked really good.

...and yeah I realize the Bulls aren't very good but the Pacers would have beaten many teams Saturday night.

Indeed he does.  Doyel opined that in spite of the actual +/-, there is anecdotal evidence that VO is worth like fifty PPG...

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/01/08/doyel-oladipo-effect-leads-mvp-chants-pacers-swamp-bucks/1013227001/

Surely Vic is an all-star...and surely no one can say with a straight face anymore that OKC hosed the Pacers on the George trade.  Sabonis, the afterthought bonus player on the trade was 8/12 against the Bucks and had high-point honors.  Vic is the unquestioned star of the Pacers, but Sabonis is an absolute master of the pick and roll...he is so frigging smooth and automatic on that play. I watched him do it again...and again...and again against the Bulls Saturday night.  They had no answer for it despite the fact that they knew it was coming.

Ironically, Paul George should be the MVP of this year's Pacers.  It's been a long time since the Pacers' team chemistry looked this good.

• Like 1