NBA Thread

Is now an okay time to point out the Cavs have outscoring the Celtics by 1 in the four games thus far. None of the four games have remotely been decided by bad calls. 

The Pacers outscored the Cavs by 39. All four Pacers loses were decided by bad calls. 

Welp, as expected the Cavs even up the series to send it back to Boston for Game 5. Gotta say, as much as I love Brad Stevens and still think he’s the next best coach after Pop, he got abused in these two games. For some inexplicable reason, until about late in the 3rd tonight the Celtics kept switching every screen and Cleveland basically just posted up Terry Rozier for two straight games. 

On many of the screens there was no reason at all to be switching, and it just killed Boston. They basically allowed Cleveland to create any mismatch they wanted any time they wanted too. 

I do not like the prospects of LeBron in Game 5. Theres typically a game in every series what he just wins one on his own and it’s usually a  critical game like a Game 5 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Is now an okay time to point out the Cavs have outscoring the Celtics by 1 in the four games thus far. None of the four games have remotely been decided by bad calls. 

The Pacers outscored the Cavs by 39. All four Pacers loses were decided by bad calls. 

Every series is different. The Pacers taking Cleveland 7 in the first round doesn’t mean the Pacers are better than the teams that have advanced further than them. 

On the officiating, I would say the games in Boston and the games in Cleveland were officiated very differently. 

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Welp, as expected the Cavs even up the series to send it back to Boston for Game 5. Gotta say, as much as I love Brad Stevens and still think he’s the next best coach after Pop, he got abused in these two games. For some inexplicable reason, until about late in the 3rd tonight the Celtics kept switching every screen and Cleveland basically just posted up Terry Rozier for two straight games. 

On many of the screens there was no reason at all to be switching, and it just killed Boston. They basically allowed Cleveland to create any mismatch they wanted any time they wanted too. 

I do not like the prospects of LeBron in Game 5. Theres typically a game in every series what he just wins one on his own and it’s usually a  critical game like a Game 5 

I only watched the first quarter tonight but noticed in the last game that the C’s ran a 2-3 zone several times (don’t see that a lot in the League!) and LeBron carved it up with smart passing. 

Game 5 should be a war. Now we see how the young C’s Handle pressure, and how much difference home court makes. One thing has been consistent, your C’s have played much better at home. That of course is a hallmark of a young team and your rising stars may step it up.

Tristian has been a major part of the Cavs better play. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I only watched the first quarter tonight but noticed in the last game that the C’s ran a 2-3 zone several times (don’t see that a lot in the League!) and LeBron carved it up with smart passing. 

Game 5 should be a war. Now we see how the young C’s Handle pressure, and how much difference home court makes. One thing has been consistent, your C’s have played much better at home. That of course is a hallmark of a young team and your rising stars may step it up.

Tristian has been a major part of the Cavs better play. 

Yeah, they did the zone for about two possessions previously and LeBron carved it up with ease. No zone tonight. But the constant switching every screens thing killed the Celtics the last two games. Once they finally cut it out, they played better. Believe it or not the Celtics actually won the 2nd-4th quarters, just lost the first by 16 tonight. 

The only thing that gives me confidence is how good the Celtics have been at home. Nothing ground breaking but I think Game 5 is a must win for Boston. 

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Every series is different. The Pacers taking Cleveland 7 in the first round doesn’t mean the Pacers are better than the teams that have advanced further than them. 

On the officiating, I would say the games in Boston and the games in Cleveland were officiated very differently. 

Yeah I get that, but the Pacers outplayed both teams head to head every chance they were given. 

The Pacers have a 13 game sample size against these two teams and were the better team in probably 12 of those games. At some point you have to recognize the Pacers are as good as any team in the East. Vic was probably the second best player in the East behind Lebron this year in terms of actually impacting winning. 

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, they did the zone for about two possessions previously and LeBron carved it up with ease. No zone tonight. But the constant switching every screens thing killed the Celtics the last two games. Once they finally cut it out, they played better. Believe it or not the Celtics actually won the 2nd-4th quarters, just lost the first by 16 tonight. 

The only thing that gives me confidence is how good the Celtics have been at home. Nothing ground breaking but I think Game 5 is a must win for Boston. 

Absolute must win for Celtics.

It's weird. Love Brad Stevens. Really like Mookie Betts. Respect the heck out of Brady and Belichick. Just can't bring myself to cheer for any Boston team including the Celtics. Following some of their writers/fan boys on twitter is nauseating. I don't know if they just don't understand hoops....or perhaps didn't watch any other series. Playoffs on the road is a different animal. You would think after Celtics needing 7 to put Bucks away they would understand.

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I get that, but the Pacers outplayed both teams head to head every chance they were given. 

The Pacers have a 13 game sample size against these two teams and were the better team in probably 12 of those games. At some point you have to recognize the Pacers are as good as any team in the East. Vic was probably the second best player in the East behind Lebron this year in terms of actually impacting winning. 

The Pacers are not as good as any team in the East, and I don’t think anyone without a dog in the fight would agree with that. We also have an 82 game sample size where Boston won 7 more games and that was with their best player missing 22 games, their second best player missing essentially 82, and Smart/Morris both missing 28 games. 

Can the Pacers compete with Boston as presently constituted? Yes, they are a good team, absolutely. Like I said, I would pick Boston in 6 and I think the games would be good, competitive games. It would be a tough series for sure. I probably got a little carried away after Boston went up 2-0 on Cleveland, it would definitely be a tough series with Indy  

As far as projected potential for the next 5 or so years, nobody is putting the Pacers at the same level as Boston or Philly. Though, I’m not sold on Philly unless Fulton develops, Simmons gets a mid range jumper, and they figure out the pieces around them. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

As far as projected potential for the next 5 or so years, nobody is putting the Pacers at the same level as Boston or Philly. Though, I’m not sold on Philly unless Fulton develops, Simmons gets a mid range jumper, and they figure out the pieces around them. 

Philly says they're going to make a run for PG. Now that would be interesting. I am a now well-documented PG fan, but even leaving that aside, he would make Philly an immediate title contender, perfect fit, imo. Don't think it happens, just looking at it from Philly's perspective. 

45 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Philly says they're going to make a run for PG. Now that would be interesting. I am a now well-documented PG fan, but even leaving that aside, he would make Philly an immediate title contender, perfect fit, imo. Don't think it happens, just looking at it from Philly's perspective. 

Agreed, a team he can play third or even fourth fiddle if Fultz develops is perfect for him. 

:coffee:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Will be interesting to see what Philly does with their max slot. Of course everyone is also hyping them going after LeBron. The decision they need to make is, do they want to go "championship or bust" or do they want to build and add pieces around Simmons and Embiid. To me, if they go after LeBron they're saying they want titles now and are willing to potentially compromise Simmons' development to do it. Both LeBron and Simmons are essentially point forwards and both need the ball. 

George, especially after his time in OKC is probably better suited to play off of Simmons. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Will be interesting to see what Philly does with their max slot. Of course everyone is also hyping them going after LeBron. The decision they need to make is, do they want to go "championship or bust" or do they want to build and add pieces around Simmons and Embiid. To me, if they go after LeBron they're saying they want titles now and are willing to potentially compromise Simmons' development to do it. Both LeBron and Simmons are essentially point forwards and both need the ball. 

George, especially after his time in OKC is probably better suited to play off of Simmons. 

Agree, I don't think they really have a shot at LBJ, and Simmons would be out in that kind of a deal. Especially given LBJ's age and how patient Philly was in building that team, I don't see it happening. PG though would be perfect, an elite two-way player who can score off ball from the wing, and at 28 has multiple years left.

Just now, BGleas said:

If you can shoot like Steph, you can play anytime, anywhere. I still think even with KD that Steph is the most important player on that team. 

I agree. The way he stretches the defenses is unreal. Not just with his range, but his constant motion. He puts all 5 defenders on edge when he is on the floor. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I agree. The way he stretches the defenses is unreal. Not just with his range, but his constant motion. He puts all 5 defenders on edge when he is on the floor. 

Absolutely. If you had to pick between the two, I'd feel more confident with them winning the title with Curry and without Durant as opposed to vice versa. 

That made sense, right? It made sense in my head. 

• Like 1