NBA Thread

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He shoved CP3 and then went over the back. It’s clear on the replay. That said with .5 seconds at the end of a playoff game with the foul being called on the team that took the shot? Riiiight

That amount of contact happens on every NBA boxout. Like I said, it didn't matter I just didn't see a foul. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Seriously, cheated. Butler? He wasn't even on the floor for multiple weeks. You can look up PG's numbers, but I know you're more interested in tarring him lol

I think he was more interested in getting a rise out of you.

I'm with you though. I'm ok if PG were left off if all selections were better defensively.

Edited by PoHoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Pacers robbed OKC.

Can't say this enough.  Love seeing all of the national "experts" (and frankly, quite a few knowledgeable posters in this forum) have a lot of egg on their face for calling this a great trade for OKC.  I can't think of a more lopsided trade from last season, frankly.  If you all have one, I'd love to hear what it was.

• Like 1

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Can't say this enough.  Love seeing all of the national "experts" (and frankly, quite a few knowledgeable posters in this forum) have a lot of egg on their face for calling this a great trade for OKC.  I can't think of a more lopsided trade from last season, frankly.  If you all have one, I'd love to hear what it was.

Initially, I thought the Pacers got hosed.  However, I was happy to see Vic come home.  I was never vocal about my opinion on the matter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Initially, I thought the Pacers got hosed.  However, I was happy to see Vic come home.  I was never vocal about my opinion on the matter.

I never thought it was a bad trade for the Pacers considering they were only giving up one year of services from a player that didn't want to be in Indianapolis.  I knew Oladipo would give 110% and be much happier as a Pacer than George was.  That alone was enough for me to call it a pretty good trade considering the hand they were dealt.  The rest of it (Sabonis being better than advertised and Oladipo morphing into an all star) was just gravy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I never thought it was a bad trade for the Pacers considering they were only giving up one year of services from a player that didn't want to be in Indianapolis.  I knew Oladipo would give 110% and be much happier as a Pacer than George was.  That alone was enough for me to call it a pretty good trade considering the hand they were dealt.  The rest of it (Sabonis being better than advertised and Oladipo morphing into an all star) was just gravy.

Look on the bright side......the Vic trade made OKC fans forget about the horrible Harden trade!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm just trying to figure out who these 'knowledgeable' posters are that you're speaking of.  

Gleas must be sleeping off his post-game celebrations....

Was listening to NBA radio driving in today and they commented that Tatum is 41 points away from becoming the leading rookie scorer, all time, in the playoffs. Of course there are more playoff games now and he's not about to be #1 in average scoring in the playoffs, but it's still really impressive.

It's an interesting development in today's NBA, where you have Mitchell in Utah and Tatum and Brown in Boston playing at All Star levels, as rookies, leading their teams into the playoffs and in Tatum and Brown's case possibly (at this point probably) to the Finals.

One question I had, is how much of how good Tatum and Brown look is that they're playing for Stevens in his system? This is not to take away from how good these young players are, but I Thomas was in the MVP discussion in Stevens' system, after being a complimentary piece before Boston and now (certainly at least partly due to injury) is an afterthought. Mitchell's a different cat, imo, he is a flat out dominant player as a rookie. But Tatum is freaking good, and Brown is outstanding, I'm just wondering how good they really are. Are we seeing guys who are both going to be 5+ time All Stars and in the discussion for League MVP, are they going to be the face of Boston like a Paul Pierce? I can't tell, if they were playing for the T-Wolves or Phoenix would they be this good? 

Flip to all this, and this is probably directed to Gleas, where does this put Hayward next year? Might he be traded? 

41 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Gleas must be sleeping off his post-game celebrations....

Was listening to NBA radio driving in today and they commented that Tatum is 41 points away from becoming the leading rookie scorer, all time, in the playoffs. Of course there are more playoff games now and he's not about to be #1 in average scoring in the playoffs, but it's still really impressive.

It's an interesting development in today's NBA, where you have Mitchell in Utah and Tatum and Brown in Boston playing at All Star levels, as rookies, leading their teams into the playoffs and in Tatum and Brown's case possibly (at this point probably) to the Finals.

One question I had, is how much of how good Tatum and Brown look is that they're playing for Stevens in his system? This is not to take away from how good these young players are, but I Thomas was in the MVP discussion in Stevens' system, after being a complimentary piece before Boston and now (certainly at least partly due to injury) is an afterthought. Mitchell's a different cat, imo, he is a flat out dominant player as a rookie. But Tatum is freaking good, and Brown is outstanding, I'm just wondering how good they really are. Are we seeing guys who are both going to be 5+ time All Stars and in the discussion for League MVP, are they going to be the face of Boston like a Paul Pierce? I can't tell, if they were playing for the T-Wolves or Phoenix would they be this good? 

Flip to all this, and this is probably directed to Gleas, where does this put Hayward next year? Might he be traded? 

I was thinking the same way because they have to many players for the 1-3 spots. You have Irving, Smart and Rozier for the 1.  You then will have Hayward, brown and Tatum at the 2-3 so they could make a move to get a big with one of those players.  I am a Pacer fan and maybe we could trade Turner for some of those players where both teams could come out with a good trade.  That way we could put Sabonis in as the 5 and maybe bring in a good stretch 4 to play with Sabonis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm just trying to figure out who these 'knowledgeable' posters are that you're speaking of.  

Exactly. Few of us tried to explain to the board how great of a trade it was for Pacers. We got shot down. Oh well. Life goes on.  I wish the thread view went back to 2-3 days after that trade.

59 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think it's hard at all to imagine the Celts running out this lineup to close games next year;

Kyrie

Brown

Hayward

Tatum

Horford

Oh I agree, but Tatum and Brown are now clearly starters and where Hayward fits in long term is now minimally less certain. There is a duplication of positions. No one thought Tatum and Brown would be this good this soon, but now, well, they are. Can't just disregard that, and if Boston's front office has done one thing clearly, it's build on players they like for the long-term going forward, like how they moved Thomas, etc. I just think there are some real questions here that Boston / Ainge are going to be wrestling with. Rozier is almost certain to get traded, for starters. Contract rights of course are going to impact all of this and of course Hayward has his, but this uber development of Tatum and Brown, really forced by Hayward's injury, raises real questions.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh I agree, but Tatum and Brown are now clearly starters and where Hayward fits in long term is now minimally less certain. There is a duplication of positions. No one thought Tatum and Brown would be this good this soon, but now, well, they are. Can't just disregard that, and if Boston's front office has done one thing clearly, it's build on players they like for the long-term going forward, like how they moved Thomas, etc. I just think there are some real questions here that Boston / Ainge are going to be wrestling with. Rozier is almost certain to get traded, for starters. Contract rights of course are going to impact all of this and of course Hayward has his, but this uber development of Tatum and Brown, really forced by Hayward's injury, raises real questions.

Disagree, none of the contract situations have changed. They drafted Tatum knowing they had him long-term and still signed Hayward long-term. Maybe they didn't know this would the situation this quickly, but they absolutely planned/hoped on all three of them being studs. Further, there's almost no way Hayward gets moved coming off of that injury. They'd never get close to market value for him. 

One of those three will likely be coming off the bench, but they'll all play 30+ minutes and be on the floor at the end of games. 

The Celtics have been the most interesting team to me thus far in the playoffs.  I’ve watched most of their games, and they are just intriguing.  I watched them beat a dysfunctional and underachieving team in Milwaukee on what really turned out to be a toss-up.  It wasn’t surprising, though.  But, then, they took out Philly handily even though a lot of the games were tight.  So, at this point they are playing with house money.   I didn’t expect them to take out Cleveland but it’s playing out just like the Milwaukee series.  

If you follow these series, it shows how weak the East still is.  It might flip in the next couple of years as some of these young teams become coherent, but there’s some bad basketball in the East.  The Cavs sweeping a 60 win Raptor team is a joke.  Cleveland on the road looks pathetic.  Lebron is amazing, but he’s got rubbish around him.  Jeff Green is a dog of a player and always has been.  George Hill is a shell of himself and looks like he’s headed out of the league.  Clarkson plays weak.  JR Smith is a moron and a classic losing player if he weren’t around Lebron. I kind of like Nance.  Love is fine.  But, you take Lebron out and this a team vying for the first pick in the draft.  It’s got to be demoralizing for him to be around the clowns he’s got to play with.  He may will them to victory but there’s no evidence as a team they’d play tough on the road in game 7.

It’s funny, I was going to come in and mention the Celtics dilemma with playing time going forward but you guys already covered it.  I love Jaylen Brown and Tatum.  Rozier has been a revelation although his confidence and/or energy seems to be inconsistent.  But he’s a nice backup for an injury prone Irving.  Smart is a guy that, to me, you have to find minutes for.  He’s the opposite of JR Smith, since he plays winning basketball.  Ainge has done an amazing job in this day and age, but they will have to satisfy all of these guys. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Disagree, none of the contract situations have changed. They drafted Tatum knowing they had him long-term and still signed Hayward long-term. Maybe they didn't know this would the situation this quickly, but they absolutely planned/hoped on all three of them being studs. Further, there's almost no way Hayward gets moved coming off of that injury. They'd never get close to market value for him. 

One of those three will likely be coming off the bench, but they'll all play 30+ minutes and be on the floor at the end of games. 

Hmm, two guys headlining the C's run to the Finals and then one just goes to the bench. This is a Stevens' team and doubt he'd have trouble making it work, he has all the (well earned) respect of his team, but your thinking is a bit set in stone here, imo. These guys are flat out studs at this point, they are absolutely headliners, moving one to the bench can make that team really, really deep (e.g., Pop's use of Ginobli), but this was not contemplated, no way, not this soon, and doubt you'd find any Celtic front office guy who says it was.