NBA Thread

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Pacers sign McDermott for too long and too much.  Anyone have thoughts that would change my mind?

I dont think it was too much, though maybe too long. He can really shoot and we needed that off the bench. He is young and has been moved around a lot, maybe getting some continuity will help him establish himself as a solid double digit guy off the bench. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

That is a surprise. He's really no better off that he was with the Pacers. You think he wins anything with the Thunder? I don't. 

Well he is playing with another superstar, but I'm surprised he would do it for that long. I thought a 1 + 1 seemed possible though. 

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That is a surprise. He's really no better off that he was with the Pacers. You think he wins anything with the Thunder? I don't. 

See my post in the general NBA thread. This is hindsight. When he made the decision to leave, Bird had traded away or lost every single player he played with, and had him play with guys like Teague (who was still the team's point) and Monta, etc. He had little reason to trust the Pacers front office to do the right thing. I wish he had stayed, but it wasn't surprising, objectively, that he left.

I don't know if he'll win anything with Westbrook, but Westbrook with Durant was one game away, really. Once Melo is off the Thunder, and they can add a couple of other pieces (they already kept Jerami Grant, a very good move), they have the chance to be very, very good.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Well he is playing with another superstar, but I'm surprised he would do it for that long. I thought a 1 + 1 seemed possible though. 

I did too -- i was pretty sure it would be a one and one. I like, though, that he's not just out there shopping for money and going to the Lakers. Screw the Lakers!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I think we can appreciate Victor just fine w/o so much PG hate.  I may be in the minority, but some of these posts I feel read like: "I reject your facts and reality and substitute my fantasy and opinion".

I think his attempts to screw the Pacers on his way out the door earned him a lot of the so called "hate" he has received. In hindsight, his leaving was the best thing he could have ever done for the Pacers

• Like 1

A positive take on the P's acquisition of McDermott --

If you're wondering why the Indiana Pacers are going to invest $22 million in Doug McDermott, go back and watch what he did in Dallas. McDermott has his McDeficiencies, sure, but he is the kind of player who can energize an offense. He never stops moving, and he made an insane 49.4 percent of his 3s with the Mavericks. Indiana didn't have anybody with his kind of gravity on the roster.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2018-nba-free-agency-20-thoughts-on-lebron-james-paul-george-and-other-early-free-agent-moves/

I don't know how much he'll help, and his defensive deficiencies are clear, but he should help spread the floor. P's still need to make a move at the point, imo.

20 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I think we can appreciate Victor just fine w/o so much PG hate.  I may be in the minority, but some of these posts I feel read like: "I reject your facts and reality and substitute my fantasy and opinion".

I do it to tweak Hoopster.  Its one of life's great joys.  Frankly, I am thrilled that he played a part in bringing Vic home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't get the hype.  He'll most likely be half the player he was by January???

He’s probably a top 20 player when healthy.  They won’t even need him during the regular season, but by the time the playoffs roll around, he’ll be at least close to full health.  Warriors won’t be challenged.

33 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I couldn't agree more. It's gotten to the point where it's just a bad joke. The NBA created this monster, it should do something about it.

Looking like the NBA is going to need to institute some type of minimum salary to prevent these types of moves from happening.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Looking like the NBA is going to need to institute some type of minimum salary to prevent these types of moves from happening.

At that point, the NBA is literally trying to legislate against stupidity.  When players want to win so badly, they literally sign contracts that are not in their personal best interest, I don't know what you can call it.

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't get the hype.  He'll most likely be half the player he was by January???

Imagine trying to double the post with KD, Steph, and Klay out there. He’s one of the best passing bigs in the game. Even at 70% he’s all-star caliber and they got him for 5.3m lol.

5 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Imagine trying to double the post with KD, Steph, and Klay out there. He’s one of the best passing bigs in the game. Even at 70% he’s all-star caliber and they got him for 5.3m lol.

That's dirt cheap.  I thought he wouldn't settle for less than 20.  But the 1 year 5 mil to me just proves he's not close and still has a long road to go.  

Hasn't only like 2 players ever successfully come back from this injury?