NBA Thread

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

With Seth Curry out indefinitely with a tibia stress injury, Yogi is now expected to start for the Mavs --

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/rumors/post/_/id/45291/rumor-central-bigger-role-for-yogi-ferrell-with-seth-curry-sidelined

Pre-season so far:

Game 1 v Bucks: 10 assists, in 16 minutes (!) off the bench

GAme 2 v. Bulls: 10 points (4-6), 3 assists, 2 boards in 18 minutes off the bench

Game 3 v. Magic: 12 points (4-9), 4 boards, 3 assists, in 15 mins off the bench.

Solid.

They're going to start Yogi over Smith?

11 hours ago, Reacher said:

Way ahead of schedule.  If he's back by November, which sounds likely, he'll only have been out for 10 months.  Have to think he has the potential to be more valuable than Miles and Powell, and he'll definitely be better than Caboclo.  Glad to hear the recovery is going well. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks snowling.  Thought this deserved it's own special acknowledgement.  Coach Crean made his mark.

Hoosiers_in_the_NBA_website.jpg

This, running a clean program, and identifying underappreciated talent are the three things I appreciate about CTC and what he brought to Indiana.  Of the eight players he put in the league, Bryant, Vonleh and Zeller were the only three I thought had strong NBA potential. Anunoby and Oladipo, and to a lesser extent, WIlliams and Ferrell (mostly due to compensating for and overcoming a lack of height) are bona-fide success stories for CTC.  I hope Blackmon finds success as well, but I'm less convinced he sticks.  He's going to have to play defense and be a better teammate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

OG played in pre-season yesterday and made a couple of very nice plays.  He seems to have refined his skill quite a bit during his recovery; he may end up the steal of what was a very strong draft. 

Awesome to hear. Rooting for OG big time, and if he stays healthy, I do think he can be a really good NBA player. Has all the tools, is very good defensively, and can score from the arc and wing. Will be interesting to see if he develops similar to Kawhi (I don't mean as good as Kawhi but similar player type), to whom he's often been compared. 

• Like 1

Some Cody Zeller love in Zack Lowe's (espn) 32 crazy NBA predictions:

Cody Zeller wins his starting spot back from Dwight Howard

Charlotte will resist as long as possible. The Hornets have invested sweat equity in Howard. Steve Clifford loves him. They have concerns about Zeller's ability to bang every night with enemy starting centers. Howard is not the sort of player who offers more value as a reserve, and the Hornets might lose him if they go this route.

But it feels kind of inevitable. Zeller is an eager-beaver, rough-housing screen-setter who fits well with Kemba Walker and Nicolas Batum. He's faster diving from the arc to the rim than Howard, and has improved his finishing. He will not demand post touches, or pout when he doesn't get them. He can't touch Howard as an individual rebounder, but he's one of those Nene/Roy Hibbert types who boxes out so teammates can get the statistical credit. Charlotte was an elite defensive rebounding team with Zeller, anyway.

The Hornets famously plummeted to 3-17 without him last season. That wasn't all about Zeller, obviously. It was about the, umm, quality of his backups, and the rest of a thin roster. But something about his game clicks.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21002422/zach-lowe-32-crazy-nba-predictions-2017-18

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Some Cody Zeller love in Zack Lowe's (espn) 32 crazy NBA predictions:

Cody Zeller wins his starting spot back from Dwight Howard

Charlotte will resist as long as possible. The Hornets have invested sweat equity in Howard. Steve Clifford loves him. They have concerns about Zeller's ability to bang every night with enemy starting centers. Howard is not the sort of player who offers more value as a reserve, and the Hornets might lose him if they go this route.

But it feels kind of inevitable. Zeller is an eager-beaver, rough-housing screen-setter who fits well with Kemba Walker and Nicolas Batum. He's faster diving from the arc to the rim than Howard, and has improved his finishing. He will not demand post touches, or pout when he doesn't get them. He can't touch Howard as an individual rebounder, but he's one of those Nene/Roy Hibbert types who boxes out so teammates can get the statistical credit. Charlotte was an elite defensive rebounding team with Zeller, anyway.

The Hornets famously plummeted to 3-17 without him last season. That wasn't all about Zeller, obviously. It was about the, umm, quality of his backups, and the rest of a thin roster. But something about his game clicks.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21002422/zach-lowe-32-crazy-nba-predictions-2017-18

Hopefully he can keep it and get somewhere this season. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 7:58 PM, KoB2011 said:

OG played in pre-season yesterday and made a couple of very nice plays.  He seems to have refined his skill quite a bit during his recovery; he may end up the steal of what was a very strong draft. 

Here's one of those plays.  Where did this come from??  I can't remember him ever making a play like that at IU.  I think we might be seeing a situation similar to the one with Troy, where OG is much better in the NBA than he was in college.  Hard to believe Crean was bringing him off the bench last year before the knee injury...

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Here's one of those plays.  Where did this come from??  I can't remember him ever making a play like that at IU.  I think we might be seeing a situation similar to the one with Troy, where OG is much better in the NBA than he was in college.  Hard to believe Crean was bringing him off the bench last year before the knee injury...

That off the dribble move is very much like Kawhi. The comparisons continue. Strong move.

On 10/14/2017 at 11:11 AM, FW_Hoosier said:

Very happy to see this from OG, and also quite surprised. OG was down with injury most of last season and his rehab continued to part of this past summer. I'm guessing he was, for the most part, already capable of making this type of play when he was at IU.

4 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Very happy to see this from OG, and also quite surprised. OG was down with injury most of last season and his rehab continued to part of this past summer. I'm guessing he was, for the most part, already capable of making this type of play when he was at IU.

Fully agreed. He is just back up and running after his ACL injury. It's too bad he was hurt (and at one point sick) for much of the limited time he played last year.

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Really too bad about Hayward, awful looking injury and in less than 6 minutes with Boston. Hope he can come back like PG did.

There goes the Celtics chances to beat the Cavs.  But they have to be encouraged by how Brown and Tatum stepped up after Hayward went down.  Wouldn’t be surprised if Stevens still led them to the ECF.