NBA Thread

^^ It's hard to tell whether either team will be noticeably better. I think Cleveland got the better end of the deal, particularly for the possibility of convincing LeBron to stay, assuming the rumors are true. Crowder helps with D, and is solid, IT will score it probably at about the same rate as Irving though how he adjusts to being a significantly second fiddle to LeBron remains to be seen, and LeBron will take a lot of ball usage that IT is used to. Still, he can shoot and score, and he's unselfish. I tend to think he'll do well with LeBron, we'll see.

Meanwhile, Kyrie left to be The Man, to a team that has been a unified team-first group, and the C's have in the past few trades lost some D and their rebounding is a question mark. I think Cleveland remains handily the better team, but then, I thought the Rockets would stink under D'Antonio, so who knows. Kyrie sure put the pressure on himself, leaving LeBron when Kyrie just had his best numbers ever -- BECAUSE he was playing with LeBron. I think it was a stupid move on his part, and he didn't do jack before LeBron joined him, but time will tell.

I think the trade is a win-win for both sides, although giving up the Nets pick seems like a bit of an overpay by the Celtics considering the market for star players lately.  Irving fits the Celtics timeline much better, and it's clear the Celtics didn't want to sign an almost 30 year old IT to a max contract next year anyway.  Kyrie is in his prime, a proven clutch player, just as good a scorer, and a better defender (but still not a good defender).  And who knows if IT will even be healthy?

As for the Cavs, they got everything they wanted.  IT and Crowder allow them to compete for a title next year, which may convince Lebron to stay.  And if he doesn't, they can let IT walk, tank, and build around the Nets pick.  Crowder will also be a nice piece to have regardless.  Plus the trade saves them $30M in luxury tax.

I'll preface this with I was disappointed the Celtics gave up the Brooklyn pick, and I'm actually not a big Kyrie fan. 

But with that said, I think this is a win-win for both. The Celtics had an IT issue they were going to have to deal with sooner, rather than later. I heard a stat on Mike and Mike this morning that no player in NBA history over 30 that is below 6'0" has ever made an All-Star Team. Couple that with IT's hip injuries, and I think this is a clear indication that the Celtics did not want to give a 29 year old, extremely undersized point guard a max contract next summer.  

Kyrie fits the Celtics timeline much better and has a much better contract situation. Crowder has a great contract which is tough to lose, but he was going to lose playing time with Hayward, Brown and Tatum in the fold. As far as the Brooklyn pick, it sucks to lose it, but there's a chance the Lakers pick (2-5) the Celtics have could actually be the better pick. The Nets added Russell, Crabbe and Demare Carroll this offseason and playing in the East (which is even worse than last year) they could be more better than the Lakers. So, the Celtics got a 25 year old perennial all-star who has a championship and a Gold Medal, yet still maintain flexibility with picks and their young players. So, we gave up more than others have for stars, but didn't leverage the future. 

Cleveland should be really happy. They're set up for another championship run this year, though I think they'll find out IT is great, but teams really figure how to exploit him in the playoffs, and they' got assets should LeBron bolt. 

Don't love Irving, but the deal itself is a win-win. 

31 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Gleas in the House -- Welcome BG

Thanks! I actually signed up a few weeks ago, and then for a couple weeks every time I came back it said "404 error". Then I came back last weekend and on my ipad half the screen is the site and the other half is ESPN. So, finally came back today on desktop and it works. 

Awesome that we've found a new spot!

My take: Cavs win.....Celts lose big time with this trade. The Celts just lost their heart and soul player (their leader!) and gained a guy who simply wants the ball in his hand more, despite having the ball in his hands a TON last year, and doesn't seem to put much emphasis in defensive side of the game at all. And they gave away WAY too much with that 2018 first round pick (and I think they'll miss Crowder as well). More so, it completely upended their conference championship contending roster, which they had already tweaked way to much for a team that had a very successful line up in place for the future.

Very dicy move for Boston. It will interesting to see how this one works out on both sides. 

14 hours ago, 68Hoosier said:

Gordon is a special player.  I don't think he ever landed on the right team in the NBA to complement his talents. 

Until this past year! 6th man of the year, finally got through a whole year healthy, and coming off the bench as a gunner really benefited his game. He was huge for Houston, and he should have the same role and impact next season -- it's good to see him finally shine at the level he's been capable of, and it's largely because he managed to stay healthy.

On 8/30/2017 at 8:17 AM, Seeking6 said:

James Blackmon Jr gets contract with 76ers this morning. Rookie pact. Details not released yet. Hopefully he gets a good chunk.

Partial guarantee. Invite to camp and spot on the G league team if he doesnt make the 76ers. They are over signed by 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article on how statistical analysis recognizes Cody as one of the most valuable big men in the NBA.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/09/07/heres-why-cody-zeller-is-one-of-the-most-valuable-big-men-in-the-nba/

Apparently, though, his own coach uses a different criteria.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hornets-plan-start-dwight-howard-161636606.html