NBA Thread

I’m really looking forward to watching OG’s growth now that he gets to practice and play with Kawhi. Kawhi is the player OG emulates, and the chance to work with him, as a top 3 player in the League and as his model player, the chance is there to see him really explode. He’s already quickly becoming an exceptional 2-way player, but now, watch out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 3:04 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not a Hoosier -- but man I'm going to miss watching Ginobili play. He retired today --

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/spurs-legend-manu-ginobili-announces-retirement-from-nba-after-16-seasons/

He's a HOF without question, but I still think he is underrated. In his prime, he could go toe to toe with any 2 guard playing (there were some great ones in his prime). His numbers, great as they are, would be so much better if he wasn't so selfless. 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2018 at 3:04 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not a Hoosier -- but man I'm going to miss watching Ginobili play. He retired today --

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/spurs-legend-manu-ginobili-announces-retirement-from-nba-after-16-seasons/

Sad to see Duncan-Parker-Ginobili era coming to an end at Spurs. They were the living definition of true professional, always represented the franchise and the community with dignity and grace. He had a great career and was a big part of the Spurs dynasty. 

• Like 4

SI Top 100 NBA player rankings of 2019 -- Nos. 11-30

Vic #20

VICTOR OLADIPO
INDIANA PACERS

Before last season, Oladipo (23.1 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 4.3 APG) barely needed a trophy case: the 2013 No. 2 pick’s unspectacular career was highlighted by a second-place finish in the 2015 Slam Dunk Contest, an $84 million extension that many observers felt was too generous, and a front-row seat for Russell Westbrook shooting 34 times in an elimination-game defeat. Now? Oladipo has enough hardware to start a personal shrine after earning Most Improved Player, All-Star, All-NBA Third Team and All-Defensive First Team honors in one of the great mid-career breakouts in recent memory.

The 26-year-old scoring guard displayed numerous improvements following a trade from Oklahoma City to Indiana: he shot the three at a career-high rate, he worked in a more reliable off-the-dribble jumper, he attacked the rim with greater purpose, and he committed to becoming a disruptive defender on a nightly basis. Importantly, Oladipo also settled in as a late-game option, ranking fourth in clutch scoring and leading the pesky, overachieving Pacers to a 24-17 record in games that were within five points in the last five minutes. Perhaps the best way to gauge Oladipo’s value came when he was sidelined for seven games: Indiana went 0-7 and lost by an average of 14 points. The East’s No. 5 seed could have been mistaken for the Suns or Grizzlies without its franchise player. 

This ranking reflects a degree of skepticism that Oladipo’s sensational season—he ranked sixth in Real Plus-Minus, 11th in WARP and 19th in PER—is his new normal. However, his explosiveness, buy-in, and two-way impact should keep him in the All-Star conversation, even if he sustains natural regression or falters a bit under enhanced expectations. — BG

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/09/10/top-100-nba-players-2019-lebron-james-stephen-curry-dirk-nowitzki

Some others by SI in this range

Klay Thompson - 22

Irving - 17

Lillard - 15

Gobert - 14

Draymond - 13

Kawhi - 12 (hammered for last season)

PG - 11

• Thanks 3

OG in espn's current top 100 players players in the NBA (nos. 51-100, top 50 later):

77 - OG, after his rookie season. I'd bet on his climbing higher this season. 

While his box score stats might not show it, Anunoby had an extremely successful rookie campaign, especially when you consider he played 84 games coming off an ACL tear. Still evolving as an offensive threat, Anunoby might not make a leap as a scoring threat, particularly with the addition of Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green. But his defensive value is undeniable, and the Raptors can throw out a host of modern lineups with unrivaled switchability.

So long as he's making open spot-ups, Anunoby is one of the league's best under-22 two-way combo forwards. -- Schmitz

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24651811/nbarank-2018-19-100-51-best-players-season

EJ and Vic not yet ranked, they'll be in the top 50, Vic probably top 25 (like above by SI).

Also, not Hoosiers but 4 Pacers named in the top 51-100:

86 -Thad Young

87 - Tyreke Evans

89 - Sabonis

94 - Collison

edit -- some interesting rankings here, by espn. Porzingis at 58, etc.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

A lot of positive discussion on Cody in this article, including some from the new Charlotte head coach.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/why-kemba-walker-and-the-hornets-could-surprise-us-the-same-way-victor-oladipos-pacers-did-last-season/

Since “Oladipo’s Pacers” surprised it makes sense that Cody’s Hornets will too.

What is not to like about Vic and Cody playing major roles in raising their teams up?!

Hope Cody comes back and excels just like Vic, great to see 

^^ EJ comes in at #42 in espn's ranking -- http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24666339/nbarank-2018-19-31-50-best-players-season

Pacers' Turner in at #48.

Some pretty bad rankings by espn, e.g., they've got Steven Adams at #47 (too low) and actually have Drummond at #46 -- NO ONE is taking Drummond over Adams, no way in hell Drummond is a better player, these rankings are largely just for fun, but man do the guys at espn get it wrong, and often.

Some more interesting rankings -- Hayward at #40, DeRozan at #39

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ EJ comes in at #42 in espn's ranking -- http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24666339/nbarank-2018-19-31-50-best-players-season

Some pretty bad rankings by espn, e.g., they've got Steven Adams at #47 (too low) and actually have Drummond at #46 -- NO ONE is taking Drummond over Adams, no way in hell Drummond is a better player, these rankings are largely just for fun, but man do the guys at espn get it wrong, and often.

If I had to choose one of them to build a team around, I’d take Drummond.  If I was picking a center to complement other established players, I’d take Adams.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Steven Adams gets penalized for lack of personal hygiene.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CBS Sports has their top 100 NBA players out -

Vic - #17

Victor OladipoINDIANA PACERS SG

This time last year, who would have thought that Victor Oladipo would be a top-20 NBA player? But that's exactly what he became after a breakout season on both ends of the court. -- Ward-Henninger 

EJ - a little low at 54

No OG -- that's a miss. 

Others

Klay Thompson 15

Dam Lillard 14

PG 11 (I guess I'm crazy for considering PG a top 10-15 player. Oh well. 😀)

Embiid gets the nod at 10

Greek Freak 7

AD 3

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/top-100-nba-players-for-2018-19-rankings-lead-with-lebron-james-and-stay-west-heavy-at-top/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

CBS Sports has their top 100 NBA players out -

Vic - #17

Victor OladipoINDIANA PACERS SG

This time last year, who would have thought that Victor Oladipo would be a top-20 NBA player? But that's exactly what he became after a breakout season on both ends of the court. -- Ward-Henninger 

EJ - a little low at 54

No OG -- that's a miss. 

Others

Klay Thompson 15

Dam Lillard 14

PG 11 (I guess I'm crazy for considering PG a top 10-15 player. Oh well. 😀)

Embiid gets the nod at 10

Greek Freak 7

AD 3

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/top-100-nba-players-for-2018-19-rankings-lead-with-lebron-james-and-stay-west-heavy-at-top/

I never said that but i did say i dont think he is top 10 to 15 because he is not clutch.  No disputing that 1. I like him but to be the stud go to top 10ish player you need to be a cold blooded assassin. PG is a likable soft cuddly teddy bear😁

Well the ESPN rankers really like Vic — all the way up to no. 15, ahead of Draymond (16) and Klay Thompson (19), can’t link as on phone. PG at 13, Butler just below. 

So the consensus of the several rankings is Vic is now regarded at least top 25, more in the top 20 range. What a year he had. Now he may face more pressure along with the P’s as the East will be game planning for Vic and the P’s as a legit top 4 team (maybe top 3) — I will bet on Vic, his work ethic, drive and elite athleticism now coupled with better shooting/shot selection and what should be a deeper P’s team is encouraging 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Well the ESPN rankers really like Vic — all the way up to no. 15, ahead of Draymond (16) and Klay Thompson (19), can’t link as on phone. PG at 13, Butler just below. 

So the consensus of the several rankings is Vic is now regarded at least top 25, more in the top 20 range. What a year he had. Now he may face more pressure along with the P’s as the East will be game planning for Vic and the P’s as a legit top 4 team (maybe top 3) — I will bet on Vic, his work ethic, drive and elite athleticism now coupled with better shooting/shot selection and what should be a deeper P’s team is encouraging 

At this point, I would for sure take Vic over Draymond if I was building a team.  And would potentially take him over Klay... Klay is obviously a much better shooter, but Vic is a more dynamic ballhandler. 

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

At this point, I would for sure take Vic over Draymond if I was building a team.  And would potentially take him over Klay... Klay is obviously a much better shooter, but Vic is a more dynamic ballhandler. 

I would take Vic over Draymond, and probably Klay, for the reason that Vic exploded as the franchise player of what is clearly his team, and the P’s lost literally every game he missed due to injury, whereas neither Klay nor Draymond have ever been the best player, lead player or franchise player on their team, and both benefit greatly from the superstars around them. 

Klay is more of a tough call for me as he’s clearly one of the best shooters in the game on top of being a 2-way player, but again he’s not the lead guy, and he’s also, in my view, fairly inconsistent overall 

I'll go back to what I've said consistently about Vic...I take him over a lot of people (PG included 😉) due to his trajectory.  I think Vic is still not close to his peak performance and capability, while many other stars have peaked and are even on the back side of that mountain.  If Vic doesn't have a major injury derail him, I think he's still got a lot to show the NBA.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'll go back to what I've said consistently about Vic...I take him over a lot of people (PG included 😉) due to his trajectory.  I think Vic is still not close to his peak performance and capability, while many other stars have peaked and are even on the back side of that mountain.  If Vic doesn't have a major injury derail him, I think he's still got a lot to show the NBA.

This season is going to test that. I’m a huge Vic fan, but the flip side to this idea is that just the prior season he was average. It has not been a straight projectory for him, it was a monster step up with a team and position that fit his game much better, coupled with his dedication, including refining his diet and body last summer, I expect he will continue to grow, he’s in his prime, but I don’t expect him to become a top 5-10 player. 

51 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This season is going to test that. I’m a huge Vic fan, but the flip side to this idea is that just the prior season he was average. It has not been a straight projectory for him, it was a monster step up with a team and position that fit his game much better, coupled with his dedication, including refining his diet and body last summer, I expect he will continue to grow, he’s in his prime, but I don’t expect him to become a top 5-10 player. 

Agreed.  I think a slight regression from last season is much more likely than another huge jump.

55 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I knew I could pull you back in...😉

Top 5-10 is tough, but I love his mindset.  I keep saying to myself that I won't overestimate him and he keeps blowing past my expectations, so I'm raising the bar.  I think he can be top 10, if not top 5.  Three's so much competition at the top and sheer will and dedication only gets you so far.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I knew I could pull you back in...😉

Top 5-10 is tough, but I love his mindset.  I keep saying to myself that I won't overestimate him and he keeps blowing past my expectations, so I'm raising the bar.  I think he can be top 10, if not top 5.  Three's so much competition at the top and sheer will and dedication only gets you so far.

I think Vic has clearly become a top 20 or so player. Whether he can push his game up further and against guys like Embiid though remains to be seen. You know i’m A huge Vic fan, but we’re talking 1 season, and in fairness no one expected Vic or the P’s to be anywhere near as good as they turned out to be. Teams will be serioysly game planning against Vic from the get go, it’s a different situation. I would love to see Vic keep on rising, but I’m more in the wait and see camp - I expect great play from him, I don’t expect top 10 play. If he gets there, fantastic