NBA Thread

15 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think there's two facets to this.  Without rehashing the PG debate, surely we can agree he isn't at the level of those guys? The second if that PG tends to show up the refs when he doesn't get a call, human nature says you're not going to get more calls after showing someone up.  That's just my perspective.  I know other guys whine too, it just seemed like PG did it a lot more -- maybe because he got calls less than the other guys though (and I do agree with you on that).

Yes agree that LeBron, Harden & Curry, as top 5 or so players, are on a higher level -- but not by much, whether PG is top 10 or top 15, he's considered a star player by everyone in the League, and he was the Pacers' franchise player. I agree there are facets here, I'm just saying he didn't get the calls and it's not as simple as saying star players get the calls. Westbrook right now is getting seriously dissed by the refs, repeatedly, and he's the reigning MVP. He's made some disparaging remarks about the officiating (all of which were absolutely deserved, the officiating in Portland in particular was laughably dishonest and won Portland the game), and I think he's getting some ref abuse as a result, but still. In any event, I'm just saying that guys who play for the Pacers, and similar teams, have a harder time getting the calls no matter how good they are, that's really simple fact at this point, and has been going on for a long time.

• Like 1

Holy cow...Oladipo is averaging 44% from deep?!!

Sabonis just looks great as well.  I get more and more confident that the Thunder got SCREWED on that trade.

The bonus for the Pacers on that trade is that I (and I'll bet many other Hoosiers) am/are watching professional basketball. I didn't watch a game last year.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Holy cow...Oladipo is averaging 44% from deep?!!

Sabonis just looks great as well.  I get more and more confident that the Thunder got SCREWED on that trade.

The bonus for the Pacers on that trade is that I (and I'll bet many other Hoosiers) am/are watching professional basketball. I didn't watch a game last year.

Obviously it's early and he didn't get taken in the lottery, but I remember arguing with folks that his floor was an elite defender who could hit the three and finish at the rim and therefore he was an incredibly safe lottery pick i.e. wasn't going to be anything worse than a contributor for a long time.  That's looking like a good call thus far.  Really, really wish the Pacers had taken him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

How 'bout those Celtics? 

Right! I gotta say, as a Celtics fan that never really cared for Kyrie, I've been blown away. He has been absolutely fantastic. This team is way more talented and better constructed than last year's team, and I can only imagine how good they'd be if Hayward hadn't gotten hurt. I still don't think they'd win a title, GS is just too good, but with Hayward I think they're the best team in the East. Without him, I still think LeBron will figure things out and be too tough to beat in a series. 

But, these Celtics are good. Kyrie is a legit star, playing defense, distributing, being a true leader to the young guys, and has formed a really nice on-court chemistry with Horford. Jaylen Brown is turning into a star and Tatum is the real deal. It also doesn't hurt that Ainge and Stevens are two of the best in the business at what they do. 

There will still be bumps and they're obviously not going to keep this streak going forever, but I couldn't be more excited as a C's fan!

• Like 2

Wizards are in that group as well. They are under-performing but Beal is a beast and Wall will figure it out. Milwaukee is still young but they're going to be a load soon. Pacers look to have good (and better than I though) young pieces, if Turner steps up his game (this last one was good) over time they'll be good in a couple years or so. Phily has a ways to go, still, but a lot of talent. I tend to think Boston''s going to fall back to Earth a bit at some point this season, but they certainly look like a contender and Kyrie's living up to his "decision." Once Cleveland gets IT and is healthy, I think the dynamic will shift this season. But next season? Hmm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Wizards are in that group as well. They are under-performing but Beal is a beast and Wall will figure it out. Milwaukee is still young but they're going to be a load soon. Pacers look to have good (and better than I though) young pieces, if Turner steps up his game (this last one was good) over time they'll be good in a couple years or so. Phily has a ways to go, still, but a lot of talent. I tend to think Boston''s going to fall back to Earth a bit at some point this season, but they certainly look like a contender and Kyrie's living up to his "decision." Once Cleveland gets IT and is healthy, I think the dynamic will shift this season. But next season? Hmm.

On your point about the Celtics falling back to earth...Brad Stevens is good for 8-10 wins a year, if not more.  

11 minutes ago, slojoe said:

OG & Raptors are hot.  OG has started 4 games in a row, and the Raptors have won all 4.

What a great story. OG, another under the radar recruiting prospect, blows up, then has an ACL tear in what was considered his key year, still gets drafted in the first round, and now as a rookie is starting and playing well on a top 3-4 team in conference. And he kind of shut down Harden....