NBA Thread

On 6/10/2018 at 9:29 AM, KoB2011 said:

So what you have is an inconclusive study about marijuana smoke and no mention of the health benefits marijuana provides. One factor I did not see when i skimmed through that was any mention of the amount of puffs one takes of marijuana versus a cigarette. I saw it mention take deeper inhales, which is true, but you're only taking a few at a time. 

Marijuana has health benefits for a relatively small set of medical conditions, medical conditions I dare say most of the proponents of marijuana don't actually suffer from. 

51 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

Marijuana has health benefits for a relatively small set of medical conditions, medical conditions I dare say most of the proponents of marijuana don't actually suffer from. 

Not sure I agree with that. What medical conditions do you think marijuana has health benefits for that only a small subset of proponents suffer from? 

Additionally, so what? It's a plant that we haven't little to no evidence causes actual harm. Smoking is one thing we can debate on but there are many other ways to consume marijuana that don't involve smoking it. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not sure I agree with that. What medical conditions do you think marijuana has health benefits for that only a small subset of proponents suffer from? 

Additionally, so what? It's a plant that we haven't little to no evidence causes actual harm. Smoking is one thing we can debate on but there are many other ways to consume marijuana that don't involve smoking it. 

Anybody want to try my brownies?  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't really want to drag this out into a marijuana debate but in answer to your question, glaucoma and certain chemotherapy patients have pretty conclusive evidence of receiving medical benefits from consuming it. A few other conditions seem to have some benefit but the studies are hardly conclusive yet. All in all, very small numbers compared to those that simply want to get high.

IMO, there is more than enough evidence that consuming marijuana can cause plenty harm, unfortunately that harm is very hard to track and quantify scientifically as it is almost entirely the result of secondary effects. 

5 hours ago, hoosierBGH said:

I don't really want to drag this out into a marijuana debate but in answer to your question, glaucoma and certain chemotherapy patients have pretty conclusive evidence of receiving medical benefits from consuming it. A few other conditions seem to have some benefit but the studies are hardly conclusive yet. All in all, very small numbers compared to those that simply want to get high.

IMO, there is more than enough evidence that consuming marijuana can cause plenty harm, unfortunately that harm is very hard to track and quantify scientifically as it is almost entirely the result of secondary effects. 

So you disregard studies because you don't say think they are conclusive but are willing to accept it causes harm even though by your own admission it isn't something you can study? I'm not sure I understand that, but okay. We will have to agree to disagree. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

Let's get this back on track.  What do we want to see the Pacers do on draft day.  Do we stay put or get aggressive and try to make some moves.  The only name I have seen tossed around is DiVincenzo, who I think could end up being a steal and a Klay Thompson type player potentially.

27 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Let's get this back on track.  What do we want to see the Pacers do on draft day.  Do we stay put or get aggressive and try to make some moves.  The only name I have seen tossed around is DiVincenzo, who I think could end up being a steal and a Klay Thompson type player potentially.

If we stay at 23 I want  either Brunson or Bates Diop.  At that stage I want a guy with a lot of experience who can come in and be a contributor right away.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think he will be solid. I don't think he will be the best European player ever. 

Yeah, I’m not too high on him.  I get that it’s impressive what he did in the Euroleague at 19, and he probably has a pretty high floor, but he has bottom tier athleticism for the NBA.  All the footage I’ve watched of him looks like it’s in slow motion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, I’m not too high on him.  I get that it’s impressive what he did in the Euroleague at 19, and he probably has a pretty high floor, but he has bottom tier athleticism for the NBA.  All the footage I’ve watched of him looks like it’s in slow motion.  

Regardless, he will not be there when the Pacers pick comes up.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree with that. I think he will be a rotation player, maybe even a starter, for a long time in the league but I don't see him being a perennial All-Star or anything like that. 

Trade idea from espn insiders re the P's

Nuggets get: Al Jefferson and No. 23

Pacers get: Kenneth Faried and No. 14

Bobby Marks: Indiana's cost of moving up nine in this trade is taking back Faried's $13.7 million expiring contract. Because of the uncertainty with Thaddeus Young potentially opting out of his salary for 2018-19, the Pacers could accomplish two goals: acquiring a lottery pick to strengthen the depth in their backcourt -- in Lonnie Walker IV or Zhaire Smith -- while also getting a player in Faried who does not impact cap flexibility in 2019-20. For that season, the Pacers will have only Victor Oladipo, Domantas Sabonis and their 2018 first-round pick under contract. Center Myles Turner will be a restricted free agent.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/underestimated23835835/2018-nba-draft-trades-best-deals-see

More on Pacers - cap space and assets breakdown:

Draft assets

• First: 23

• Second: 50

• Cash: $5.1M (to receive) | $5.1M (to send)

• Available cap space: $5.2 million

Cap-space breakdown

• Cap space this summer in Indiana is fluid based on the player option of Thaddeus Young and the decision to retain or waive the players on partial or non-guaranteed contracts. If Young opts-out, Indiana could have $20 million in cap space.

• If Indiana takes a conservative approach and Young opts in on his contract, the Pacers will likely be right at the salary cap with the $8.6 million midlevel and $3.4 million bi-annual exceptions to use.

• With shooting off the bench a priority, Indiana could target a player such as free agent Wayne Ellington with the full midlevel.

• If Jefferson and Joe Young are waived, room would stand at $13.8 million, comparable to both above exceptions. In this case, Indiana would have the $4.4 million room exception in addition to cap space.

• One area to watch: the available roster spots. With their two draft picks, the Pacers will have 15 players under contract -- the league limit even before free agency has even started.http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23529024/biggest-nba-free-agency-trade-draft-decisions-every-team

24 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Trade idea from espn insiders re the P's

Nuggets get: Al Jefferson and No. 23

Pacers get: Kenneth Faried and No. 14

Bobby Marks: Indiana's cost of moving up nine in this trade is taking back Faried's $13.7 million expiring contract. Because of the uncertainty with Thaddeus Young potentially opting out of his salary for 2018-19, the Pacers could accomplish two goals: acquiring a lottery pick to strengthen the depth in their backcourt -- in Lonnie Walker IV or Zhaire Smith -- while also getting a player in Faried who does not impact cap flexibility in 2019-20. For that season, the Pacers will have only Victor Oladipo, Domantas Sabonis and their 2018 first-round pick under contract. Center Myles Turner will be a restricted free agent.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/underestimated23835835/2018-nba-draft-trades-best-deals-see

I like that trade if that would happen

Over under on Kawhi leaving the Spurs?

I know Woj has spoken but color me skeptical. Reports today came out that he and Pop had a "good" meeting today. Spurs can give him the super max, I don't care what anyone reports, walking away from a super max? Leaving tens of millions on the table? Then there's the pretty obvious - no way will the Spurs agree to allow him to go to the Lakers (or Clips). Not happening. Celtics? Maybe, they have the "assets," but I'm skeptical. I think things get worked out with Pop and the Spurs.

• Like 1