NBA Thread

30 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

New Orleans would be a good landing spot. Cleveland, maybe, they are rebuilding for the future and do have a couple of good young pieces. Sacto, well, hmm, but playing time and money should be there.

Definitely New Orleans from that trio.  

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I fear Yogi will regret this move.  

I look at it as maximizing your income generated while you can.  He is a mid-tier player in the NBA at best at the moment.  He has nothing guaranteed past the next two year.  $800k is a lot to leave on the table, if you are talking about the size of the contract he is signing.  This isn't KD or Klay Thompson taking a pay cut.  If he has the chops, he will make it Sacramento or not and this will allow him to continue to develop and showcase his abilities for after this contract is done.

I'll have to crunch the numbers at some point but to me the 2nd year in Dallas must not have been guaranteed. When you factor in 13.9% State Income Tax in California vs No State Income Tax in Texas...along with cost of living....I mean the net numbers might be $350k max. Must be something about Dallas 2nd year guarantees that scared him. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll have to crunch the numbers at some point but to me the 2nd year in Dallas must not have been guaranteed. When you factor in 13.9% State Income Tax in California vs No State Income Tax in Texas...along with cost of living....I mean the net numbers might be $350k max. Must be something about Dallas 2nd year guarantees that scared him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Thanks for posting that. Now it makes sense. Good for him. His hard work deserves some life changing money. Not saying the $ he's earned already isn't worth it but now $3 Million net over the next 2 years invested wisely can set him up. Still won't have as much as his mom....but getting closer. Haha..

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Re the income tax thing, one thing that never gets taken into account is we get absolutely killed here in property taxes. You're better off without income tax, but the property tax significant. I pay a LOT in property taxes.... There are a lot of NBA guys with homes here, and they pay a lot, lot more.

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Re the income tax thing, one thing that never gets taken into account is we get absolutely killed here in property taxes. You're better off without income tax, but the property tax significant. I pay a LOT in property taxes.... There are a lot of NBA guys with homes here, and they pay a lot, lot more.

Where's here? I'm in Hamilton County Indiana  and pay less than 1%. Is Texas really high? Quick google search says 2%.

50 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I am pretty sure professional athletes also have to pay income taxes in cities/states they play in as well.  I thought I remember that being the case.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

20 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Buy a smaller house? 😁

19 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Where's here? I'm in Hamilton County Indiana  and pay less than 1%. Is Texas really high? Quick google search says 2%.

IL is generally around 2%. There are areas at 3% however. 

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Good for Yogi.  No reason to take less money from a team that loaded up with other players at his position.  And honestly, the Mavs aren’t much closer to contending in the West than the Kings.

Mavs went cheap. I don't blame Yogi one bit if he considered the offer an insult. I think he really wanted to stay but you can't stay for way less than half the money. At least the weather is nice in Sacramento...

I hope he makes the Mavs regret that offer.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Mavs went cheap. I don't blame Yogi one bit if he considered the offer an insult. I think he really wanted to stay but you can't stay for way less than half the money. At least the weather is nice in Sacramento...

He's already made about 25 GM's look like idiots. Yogi is a perfect NBA backup PG and has showed he can start too. Still shake my head at Pacers for not giving him a look before last year.

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

Buy a smaller house? 😁

IL is generally around 2%. There are areas at 3% however. 

Ahh you guys who weigh in with a google search. 

First, we pay school, MUD, LID and county taxes. Pulling up the rate itself tells only a part of the story, though we pay basically the fifth highest property tax rate in the country. Second, taxes are assessed in TX by county, according to each county's own methodology. I paid $20K in property taxes last year. We get hammered, period.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Little more info, siap -

Ferrell had been an unrestricted free agent because Dallas rescinded his $2.9 million qualifying offer last week. The team considered that move a formality because it was in the final stages of negotiating the deal to keep Ferrell.

Ferrell joined the Mavs as a G League call-up during the 2016-17 season and performed so well that the team signed him to a two-year contract when his 10-day deal expired.

He has averaged 10.6 points and 3.0 assists in 118 games for the Mavs, including 50 starts. He could have been pushed for playing time by second-round pick Jalen Brunson if Ferrell returned to Dallas.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24151783/yogi-ferrell-sacramento-kings-agree-two-year-62m-deal

• Thanks 1

I don’t know why any NBA player of his caliber buy a house until after his playing days are done. Just rent or lease a condo downtown close to the arena/practice facility. Your on the road so much and then during the summer you can go anywhere. Unless your an established player that is older with family or not likely to be traded or making 8 figures you can wait til after your playing days to buy.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t know why any NBA player of his caliber buy a house until after his playing days are done. Just rent or lease a condo downtown close to the arena/practice facility. Your on the road so much and then during the summer you can go anywhere. Unless your an established player that is older with family or not likely to be traded or making 8 figures you can wait til after your playing days to buy.

By all indications, he thought he was going to be there longer and desired it to be so.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

If he bought it outright, he has equity minus various fees and taxes without paying interest.  It's not a total loss.

Hopefully Sacramento works out.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Ohh...thanks, my friend.

Sorry mods, nothing to see here.

Not to worry, as I rarely follow either of the NBA threads.  I may be alone , but..... Just not my cup of tea. Following the NBA.... that it is.  So thanks for letting us know about Yogi.

I did watch a game of Yogi's a couple of years back when he came to Denver.  And none of his teammates were willing to share the ball with him.  Too bad he said no to Mark Cuban... but sounding like it is a better deal, money wise for Yogi.