NBA Thread

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Reports are that Davis would sign an extension with the Knicks, they are expected to send a hefty offer over.  My guess is he goes to Boston/Knicks/Lakers

Jrue Holiday said 90% of the reason for returning to the Pelicans was due to Anthony Davis.  My guess is he is next to go, Pacers should offer Evans($12.5 mill this season)/Collison($10 mill this season)/1st rd pick for Jrue.  Jrue is 28 years old, Conley is 31 and both have similar contracts(Conley has two years after this season and Holiday has 3 years after this season).  He would be due $25 mill this season, $26 mill 2019-2020, $25 mill 2020-2021 with a player option for 2021-2020.  Jrue's wife has ties to Indiana with Lauren and his younger brother is here in Indy.

2019-2020 Season Depth Chart

Starters:  Jrue/Vic/resign Bojan/resign Thad/Turner

Bench:  Aaron/Sumner/Doug/Leaf/Sabonis

I would be fine with this for next season, they could also find a cheap SG to back up Vic or start for Vic until he returns next season

You are a little off on conleys numbers.  He's basically untradable at this point.  

https://hoopshype.com/player/mike-conley/salary/

It try and get holiday for that offer all day long.  Think they would laugh though.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

You are a little off on conleys numbers.  He's basically unreadable at this point.  

https://hoopshype.com/player/mike-conley/salary/

It try and get holiday for that offer all day long.  Think they would laugh though.  

I meant those to be Holidays numbers my bad, corrected my original post. 

Yeah they may not like it as not a lot of young talent.  I think they would want young talent or expiring contracts in return so they could offer who they want this upcoming offseason

• Thanks 1

If Davis is playing three dimensional chess, he can take a trade and then sign for an extension with player opt-outs.  That way he can book himself guaranteed money in case of catastrophe but bail as he sees fit for someplace else like Dallas as future visibility improves as to where the league is headed.  That has essentially been LeBron's move.  The player has the leverage and the owners have allowed this to go on.

I expect the landscape of the league to change drastically, starting this offseason.

Edited by BobSaccamanno

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

What about the expiring contracts?  What's the point of making the 2nd round and getting beat 4-1 and then 6 guys are no longer on the team and you literally got nothing from them.  That's why I said, identify who you want here long term.  It probably involves Thad but it's a business.  If you make a gentleman's contract and day we'll bring you back on a 3 year deal and retire you a pacer but we are going to flip you for a first rounder right now.  

I see the Pacers resigning Thad and Bojon and one of Collison or Joeseph.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I see the Pacers resigning Thad and Bojon and one of Collison or Joeseph.

Player Salary  
1  V. Oladipo $21,000,000  
2  Myles Turner $18,000,000  
3 Doug McDermott $7,333,333  
4  Domantas Sabonis $3,529,555  
5 TJ Leaf $2,813,280  
6  Aaron Holiday $2,241,200  
7  Alize Johnson $1,416,852  
8 B. Bogdanovic $12,500,000 Resign?
9 C. Joseph $10,000,000 Resign?
10 T. Young $12,500,000 Resign?
11 Sumner $1,000,000 Resign?
12 2019 1st rd draft pick $1,950,000  
13 2019 2nd rd draft pick $850,000  
14 Free Agent(SG) Area of need to backup Vic or start if Vic isn't ready for opening day  

Monta Ellis(Stretched) $2,245,400  

Total $97,379,620  
  Salary Cap $109,000,000  
  Extra Money $11,620,380

Thoughts on this?

Edited by dwtaylor1055

22 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Some are saying that they believe Irving will not resign this summer with Celtics which is a potential reason to not be favorites to land Anthony Davis

While things can change, he publicly announced this Fall in front of season ticket holders at a season kick-off party that he plans to resign with the Celtics.

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

While things can change, he publicly announced this Fall in front of season ticket holders at a season kick-off party that he plans to resign with the Celtics.

That, and the Celtics have, among others to offer, Brown, Tatum, Smart, Hayward and future picks including protected first rounders. They have a better deal to offer than the Lakers, period.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That, and the Celtics have, among others to offer, Brown, Tatum, Smart, Hayward and future picks including protected first rounders. They have a better deal to offer than the Lakers, period.

Yeah, it's not even really close. Add to it Horford is on an expiring deal next season. Below are the Celtics draft picks the next couple years. The Grizzlies one could be really good if it convey's to 2021 as unprotected. 

Sacramento Kings’ top-1 protected pick

Memphis Grizzlies (If pick falls outside top-8)

Los Angeles Clippers (If pick falls outside top-14)

Own pick

Memphis Grizzlies (If pick has not yet been conveyed and falls outside top-6)

Los Angeles Clippers (If pick has not yet been conveyed and falls outside top-14)

Own pick

Memphis Grizzlies (If pick has not yet been conveyed. Pick would be unprotected)

1 hour ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Being an NBA fan is dull sometimes.  The Pacers put together a great team through money-balling it.  Their star player gets injured.

Meanwhile, LAL and NYK are dumpster fires for a decade (or longer, NYK) and will luck into star players (or multiple stars) because of geography.

The NBA needs a hard cap.

Hard cap (of course very difficult as the players, who hold great power, will never agree) is part of the issue for sure.

Mid-market teams generally can't compete with the big market teams, e.g., Lakers vs. Minnesota, Indiana etc.

However, the Spurs have multiple championships, and you do have other teams with well run front offices like the Pacers (now), and teams like the Bucks and Portland are competing with legit all star to super star level players (Greek Freak, Lillard).

There are legit reasons to call for reducing the number of NBA teams as, generally, many of the teams don't stand a chance. But it's pretty complicated stuff, and teams like Philly came back from disaster, over many years, to potential contender, San Antonio again has been in contention for 20 years and has 5 championships, the P's with Reggie had a shot in the Finals, Detroit has won in recent history, etc. Complicated.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hard cap (of course very difficult as the players, who hold great power, will never agree) is part of the issue for sure.

Mid-market teams generally can't compete with the big market teams, e.g., Lakers vs. Minnesota, Indiana etc.

However, the Spurs have multiple championships, and you do have other teams with well run front offices like the Pacers (now), and teams like the Bucks and Portland are competing with legit all star to super star level players (Greek Freak, Lillard).

There are legit reasons to call for reducing the number of NBA teams as, generally, many of the teams don't stand a chance. But it's pretty complicated stuff, and teams like Philly came back from disaster, over many years, to potential contender, San Antonio again has been in contention for 20 years and has 5 championships, the P's with Reggie had a shot in the Finals, Detroit has won in recent history, etc. Complicated.

Thing with San Antonio they pretty much luck into getting two # 1 picks in a short period of time.  Also they picked two guys who were really grounded people who was not out just looking for the next big pay day.  I liked you thought on contracting teams because I feel they should have never expanded like they did 20 some years ago.  I think 24 would be a great number with 12 teams in each conference.

I don’t think it’s been expressly pointed out in what I have read here but due to the Kyrie trade Boston can’t do anything until July 1st.  I think they have the most to offer but question is is Davis willing to wait and go to Boston?

If AD wants to to Pelicans a solid he keeps it quiet and allows his soon to be former team enough leverage to get all the assets they can.  If I was LA I throw all I can at them now and get AD before Boston as they have the advantage now.  This young kids are not earth shattering.  Vets will sign there for the minimum much like GS.  These next few days will be interesting.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers looked horrible in that embarrassing performance tonight

Even with Vic, I do not think they would have won.  Lose by 32 or whatever no way.  My guess would have been a 8 to 10 point game if Vic played.  While they didn't respond the way I was hoping, it was nice for Aaron and Sumner to get valuable minutes.  I think the offense needs to go through Myles and Bojan as your first two scoring options.  This is Myles chance to take 12 or 15 shots per game and average 18 or 20 ppg for the rest of the season. 

10 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I don’t think it’s been expressly pointed out in what I have read here but due to the Kyrie trade Boston can’t do anything until July 1st.  I think they have the most to offer but question is is Davis willing to wait and go to Boston?

If AD wants to to Pelicans a solid he keeps it quiet and allows his soon to be former team enough leverage to get all the assets they can.  If I was LA I throw all I can at them now and get AD before Boston as they have the advantage now.  This young kids are not earth shattering.  Vets will sign there for the minimum much like GS.  These next few days will be interesting.

What do you mean they cant do anything until July 1st?  More assets open up?  I've already suggested AD for Kyrie straight up

From all reports AD has been a great guy for the city.  If it floats he only wants to go to LA then all leverage is lost.  

Like you said, next few days will be interesting.  

46 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What do you mean they cant do anything until July 1st?  More assets open up?  I've already suggested AD for Kyrie straight up

From all reports AD has been a great guy for the city.  If it floats he only wants to go to LA then all leverage is lost.  

Like you said, next few days will be interesting.  

Designated rookie extensions prevent Boston from getting involved until July. Kyrie does not become a free agent until July 1. That doesn't mean they can't work out in agreement before July 1, but nothing can happen officially with Boston until July 1.BTW., AD and Kyrie are friends and have a strong relationship, and trading from the multiple players Boston will have available to have AD joining Kyrie is much more preferable and would keep Kyrie in Boston.

Here's a summary on Boston from espn.com -- this article also summarizes what the other teams can do (http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/25873573/what-top-anthony-davis-trade-contenders-actually-offer)

Celtics on the clock but not until July 1

A quirk in the collective bargaining agreement has the Celtics in a holding pattern until July 1. However, despite Boston not being eligible to acquire Davis at the trade deadline while Irving remains on the roster under his current contract, both sides can begin to negotiate the framework on a potential Davis deal now.

Starting the process and not waiting until the offseason gives New Orleans a baseline when comparing trade offers from other teams leading up the deadline. If New Orleans knows that an appealing trade package from Boston is within reach five months from now, then New Orleans should wait this out.

Off the table: Kyrie Irving (free agent), Marcus Morris (free agent), Terry Rozier (restricted free agent), Daniel Theis (restricted free agent), Brad Wanamaker (restricted free agent), Jabari Bird (personal reasons)

Draft assets

• Own all future first-round picks (2019-2025).

• Own Sacramento's 2019 first (Nos. 2-30)

• Own Memphis' 2019 first (top-eight protected). Will roll over to 2020 (top-six protected) and 2021 (unprotected). This is the crown jewel of the Celtics' draft assets based on the certain futures of Mike Conley and Marc Gasol.

• Own the Clippers' 2019 first (lottery protected). Will roll over to 2020 (lottery protected). If not conveyed, Boston will receive the Clippers' second-round pick in 2022.

• Own all future second-round picks except 2019, which will convey to Memphis if it falls Nos. 56-60.

• Cash to be sent out and received: $5.6 million

Tradable contracts (2019-20 season)

1. Gordon Hayward: $32.7 million; under contract through 2020-21

• 15 percent trade bonus: valued at $4.9 million in July

2. *Al Horford: $30.1 million; under contract through 2019-20

• 15 percent trade bonus: valued at $4.5 million in July

3. Marcus Smart: $12.5 million; under contract through 2021-22

4. Jayson Tatum: $7.8 million; restricted free agent in 2021

5. Jaylen Brown: $6.5 million; restricted free agent in 2020. Brown is extension eligible starting in July.

6. *Aron Baynes: $5.4 million; under contract through 2019-20

7. Guerschon Yabusele: $3.1 million; restricted free agent in 2021

8. Robert Williams: $1.9 million: restricted free agent in 2022

9. Semi Ojeleye: $1.6 million: restricted free agent in 2021

• Contract becomes guaranteed if not waived by July 1

*Horford and Baynes have player options and cannot be traded until they opt-into their contract for 2019-20.

Complicating factors

• Making the money work with Rozier and Morris (free agents), and/or if Horford and Baynes opt out of their contracts. The Celtics would have only seven players to trade, including the $32.7 million contract of Gordon Hayward.

• Thanks 1

interesting

"Regarding team preferences, Boston is not a top target for Davis, sources said. There's a growing belief of uncertainty that Kyrie Irving will not re-sign with Boston, sources said, even though he vowed to do so at the beginning of the season."

i'm calling ny the sleeper with la most likely.

sorry for lack of punctuation, feeding little dude

^^ LA was the perceived destination for PG, and then for Kawhi, from sources and talking heads. Lakers failed twice, and the Thunder and Raptors are rolling.

AD could end up in LA, but there's really no reason for the Pelicans to move now. And the talk on the 'belief' Kyrie will not re-sign with Boston is rumor, and would of course end if AD joined him in Boston. 

• Like 1