NBA Thread

13 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Indiana Pacers ARE THE FAVORITES to sign Wes Mathews after he is bought out from the Knicks.  This would be a great pickup for Indy, especially if they sign him to more than just for the remainder of this season. 

That would be a good pickup for the Pacers.  We get a second round pick and Staukas and  Baldwin but will waive both of those players.

1 hour ago, KDB said:

Some trash? Lol

You do not have 1 top 50 player in the NBA maybe (100) outside of Lebron. No reason Pelicans would want any of those players...and the draft picks would be trash because obviously any team with Lebron and AD would be a playoff team and late first rd picks. Same reason Indy wouldn't trade PG to the Lakers....they can get a much better return elsewhere. It's Lakers own fault they made bad draft picks when they sucked. I would trade him to the Eastern Conference to a team like the Celtics who have multiple first rd picks from the Grizzlies, Kings, Clippers and their own plus legitimate future stars in Tatum and Brown and starters in Smart and Horford they could throw. We've seen what Ingram, Kuzma, Ball and others will get you....just a bunch of L's like last year.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

That would be a good pickup for the Pacers.  We get a second round pick and Staukas and  Baldwin but will waive both of those players.

Wes Mathews has agreed to join the Pacers for the remainder of the season.  My guess is after the all star game he will be starting at SG and allow Tyreke to move back to the bench role where he has been most comfortable.  Wes can stroke the 3 ball, a career 38% shooter from 3.  Averaged 13.1 ppg this season for the Mavericks

Also, the Pacers are converting Edmund Sumner contract to become fully guaranteed so they now have all 15 roster spots filled.

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 2

Any reason the Pacers didn't move Darren Collison or Thad Young who don't really fit our future time table and would be excellent pickups for a playoff team this year? I guess we hope to hold on to a playoff spot and sell a some tickets instead of investing in building a young core around Victor, Turner, and Sabonis.

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Any reason the Pacers didn't move Darren Collison or Thad Young who don't really fit our future time table and would be excellent pickups for a playoff team this year? I guess we hope to hold on to a playoff spot and sell a some tickets instead of investing in building a young core around Victor, Turner, and Sabonis.

Man, I'd hate to see Thad Young go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I am hoping we resign Thad next year because he is the MNP of this team

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am hoping we resign Thad next year because he is the MNP of this team

I know he re-signed last year with us because his wife liked having her kids growing up here and they were tired of moving. Perhaps the stability will outweigh a larger contract else where....I feel like the Pacers have a pretty loyal front office and they like Thad...after all he has had expiring contracts back to back years and we've not moved him even though he is exactly the type of player that puts a title contender over the top come playoff time.

Edited by dgambill

9 hours ago, KDB said:

Lakers get a huge win tonight @ Boston -- Rondo hits a buzzer beater for the win! 

Just saw this. Was weird the other night Rondo was sitting so far from his teammates on the bench and now so happy for him? Going to be a bumpy ride for LA this year. Lebron basically wanted to trade his entire team and now he has another 3 months with them. 

I know criticism comes with the territory and no perfect way to handle a player demanding a trade. With that said are the Pelicans really going to roll AD out there the rest of the season (20-25 minutes per game) and risk an injury? Having the fans boo him at home the rest of the year like they did last night? Seems to me there had to be a better way to handle. 

On 2/7/2019 at 5:32 PM, dgambill said:

I understand...but our window is in like a couple years....Thad isn't going to help us then. He has been a wonderful teammate though no doubt!

I honestly think the Pacers were too conservative here.  What are they playing for here?  A first round exit?  Maybe get into 2nd round if Philly has serious chem issues or Khawi benches himself.  

I already brought up the 6 expiring contracts.  Thad 30, Bogan 29, Collison 31, Evans, Oquinn 28, and Cory Joseph 27.  

From "sources" Middleton may be our guy in free agency but at what cost?  Is it safe to assume that the Pacers are going to resign some of the veterans here at a discounted rate?  Loyalty and stability, deep bench, mentors to younger guys.  Love Thad, Bogan, and really Collison and Joseph have value and versatility as the young Holiday comes along.  

Evans hasn't produced what we hoped and O'quinn, unless his value is in the locker and practice, hasn't brought the toughness, etc he was billed up to.  

Can you resign Thad, Bogan, Collision, and Joseph on bargain deals and still bring in Middleton?  Dropping Evans and Oquinn opens 17 mil, then shave another 4-5 off of the 4 vets and get Middleton for around 20?  

Wes Matthews.  He's alright.  I keep hearing people say 40% 3 point shooter.  False.  He's 32, been in the league 10 years now.  He's done it one season and that was in 2010-11.  His 37% on this season is respectable and hopefully with the Pacers ball movement and spacing, he can get better looks than he got in Dallas but that was getting kicks from Doncic.  So don't get too excited, he doesn't sway the bar for the post season.