NBA Thread

Thing with the P’s is they were solidly a good 3-seed with Vic healthy. Tweaking as opposed to a major move had a basis. However, with the moves the Bucks and Sixers made, and maybe Toronto, the top of the East looks a lot stronger now, and Boston may end up this summer with the best roster (on paper).

Once Vic is back assuming full health the P’s should still be in the fight but do think adding an elite point or another high level scorer is needed to contend, at this point 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Thing with the P’s is they were solidly a good 3-seed with Vic healthy. Tweaking as opposed to a major move had a basis. However, with the moves the Bucks and Sixers made, and maybe Toronto, the top of the East looks a lot stronger now, and Boston may end up this summer with the best roster (on paper).

Once Vic is back assuming full health the P’s should still be in the fight but do think adding an elite point or another high level scorer is needed to contend, at this point 

I think they have a shot at adding a really good wing and letting Holiday develop at point. He can be one of the better PGs in the East in a few years IMO. 

Celts and Rockets blow 20 point leads last night. Didn't see the Celts game, but the Thunder absolutely ripped that game from the Rockets. PG was the best player on the floor. 

I still think the Warriors will win it all, but if they have to go through LBJ, Houston, OKC, then Toronto or Milwaukee, I could see that taxing road eventually getting to them. I'm not sure that wouldn't be the most difficult path to a title ever. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Celts and Rockets blow 20 point leads last night. Didn't see the Celts game, but the Thunder absolutely ripped that game from the Rockets. PG was the best player on the floor. 

I still think the Warriors will win it all, but if they have to go through LBJ, Houston, OKC, then Toronto or Milwaukee, I could see that taxing road eventually getting to them. I'm not sure that wouldn't be the most difficult path to a title ever. 

I didn’t see the Celtics game either, but in reading the recap it looks like Kyrie went down in the second quarter and didn’t return, though that is absolutely no excuse for blowing a 28 point lead. Apparently Marcus Morris ripped the entire team afterwards. This is such a weird team/season, every time it looks like they’ve turned the corner (won 9 of 10, had the best record over something like a 25 game period), they lose a bunch of inexplicable games. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I didn’t see the Celtics game either, but in reading the recap it looks like Kyrie went down in the second quarter and didn’t return, though that is absolutely no excuse for blowing a 28 point lead. Apparently Marcus Morris ripped the entire team afterwards. This is such a weird team/season, every time it looks like they’ve turned the corner (won 9 of 10, had the best record over something like a 25 game period), they lose a bunch of inexplicable games. 

Isn't that the second game in a row?

53 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

When Victor went down I believe our chances to represent East went with it. I will say though after losing 4 straight the Pacers have found their footing and won 5 in a row. Bad competition but still pretty solid. No clue on the East right now. If I were betting I'd say Bucks. Gulp. 

I think right now it's Bucks, Raptors and everyone else. Sixers and Celts both could end up as a third team, but I could also see neither managing to pass the Pacers in the standings. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Morris’s comments are up in espn - said the team is not playing with fun and playing like a bunch of individuals- C’s still have chemistry issues. Kyrie’s Knee sprain the latest in a string of setbacks. I don’t think this will be the C’s year, Bucks and Raps are looking good. 

And PG is flat out killing it with the Thunder — because Melo is now gone. Highlighting that because having the right fit and chemistry is so key. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Morris’s comments are up in espn - said the team is not playing with fun and playing like a bunch of individuals- C’s still have chemistry issues. Kyrie’s Knee sprain the latest in a string of setbacks. I don’t think this will be the C’s year, Bucks and Raps are looking good. 

And PG is flat out killing it with the Thunder — because Melo is now gone. Highlighting that because having the right fit and chemistry is so key. 

I think the Celtics can still get it together. Before these two bad losses they were 25-9 since Nov 26th which I believe was the best record in the league over that span? I saw the stat, it might have been 2nd best, I can’t remember. But, they were playing as good as anyone  

But as far as coming out of the East, I think that is not going to happen, simply because homecourt in the playoffs is so critical and there is no way the Celtics are catching Milwaukee or Toronto. 

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think for OKC not only was moving on from Melo huge, but one of the best, yet underrated, moves of the offseason was OKC adding Dennis Schroeder. He’s been a great addition for them. 

He has been really good, so has Nerlens Noel. When/if they get Roberson back they're going to become a force on defense. Roberson and PG might be the two best perimeter defenders in basketball. 

• Like 1

Tangent here, but has there been a more disappointing player in the past ten years than Jabari Parker?  You could blame two knee injuries, and it’s fair to consider that part of the reason but from what I saw on the Wizards the other night he was still explosive.  I think it’s his game, or lack thereof, that’s the real issue.  He’s not long, is not a reliable shooter, and he is not just lost and clueless on defense, he’s unwilling.  

I used to get Sports Illustrated and I distinctly remember him being on the cover in high school.  I believe there was noise in there about him being the best prospect since James.  

He failed at Duke, and hasn’t defended at all anywhere.  I saw a quote from him basically saying stars don’t need to defend.  

He is a stats guy for a losing team.  That’s his career. 

Teams are playing hot potato with him now.  Chicago couldn’t wait to jettison him. 

For him to be an asset, he’d have to transform himself by reducing his salary by 2/3 and accepting a role as a supporting player as a scorer with a second unit but by also improving his defense from nonexistent to passable.  I don’t think that’s within his makeup.  I see more of an inefficient player on losing teams whose game might have made more sense in 1989.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Thanks 1

I think after the trade deadline here is how the east will pan out for the remainder of the season:

1.) Bucks 2.) Raptors 3.) 76ers 4.) Celtics 5.) Pacers 6.) Nets 7.) Charlotte 8.) Miami.

The Celtics are slumping right now with no team chemistry(see Marcus Morris comments from the weekend) but they have an all star in Kyrie and Tatum(huge potential) plus with our brutal March schedule I think we slide down to the 5 seed.  Wesley Mathews will start at SG and provide solid defense and a threat from 3pt range.  I think as long as Myles continues his strong play and we continue to play with how we have been playing since the Orlando Magic game a few weeks back, I could see us upsetting Boston in round 1 possibly.   

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

With the Pacers getting Mathew I think that will really help because now we can get Evans ack to the second unit.  Mathews is no VO but I think his signing will take away some of the hurt of losing VO.

I thought it was a good move. P's are not beating Boston et al., but they should remain a playoff team and be in good position for the summer and next season, when Vic returns.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I thought it was a good move. P's are not beating Boston et al., but they should remain a playoff team and be in good position for the summer and next season, when Vic returns.

I think the Pacers at this time is the 3 seed and I think this signing could keep us there and that would be a good thing.  Being the 3 would allow the Pacers not to play any of the other top teams in the first round.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think the Pacers at this time is the 3 seed and I think this signing could keep us there and that would be a good thing.  Being the 3 would allow the Pacers not to play any of the other top teams in the first round.

If we could somehow keep the 3 seed I would be so ecstatic.  March is going to be a tuff test for us.  14 total games, above .500 opponents are 76ers, Bucks, Thunder twice, Denver twice, Portland, Warriors, Celtics).  These 9 games will determine if we keep the 3 seed or not.  Remaining 5 below .500 are Magic twice, Clippers, Knicks, Bulls

Edited by dwtaylor1055

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know Scott, Sixers are much better now. Bucks and Raptors are heads above. Celtics are a big question mark, their chemistry is crap right now, but they are deeper and more talented (P's w/o Vic) and obviously well coached, I suspect they'll pull it together. I see the P's as 5th, maybe 4th. A lot of games still to play. As dw notes above, the schedule is getting difficult for the P's, note that they built that 3-seed position largely on a weak schedule (not knocking the P's, but they had a pretty easy schedule, and their win-loss against teams over .500 was not good).

• Thanks 1