NBA Thread

Looked up Nate McMilian's playoff record and it isn't pretty.  He has coached 18 years and made the playoffs 10 times and has only won a series once.  Not saying he should be fired but it seems like he can only get you so far but not over the hump.  The problem right now that there are not many great candidates out there to hire.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Looked up Nate McMilian's playoff record and it isn't pretty.  He has coached 18 years and made the playoffs 10 times and has only won a series once.  Not saying he should be fired but it seems like he can only get you so far but not over the hump.  The problem right now that there are not many great candidates out there to hire.

Without Vic, the Pacers had the worst roster in the playoffs this season.  I don’t know what you expected.

44 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Without Vic, the Pacers had the worst roster in the playoffs this season.  I don’t know what you expected.

Not to get swept and lose 3 halftime leads.  Out of th e16 quarters in this series the Pacers outplayed the Celtics in at least 10 of them yet could not win one game.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

With Vic they were contending for the top 2-3 in the East. With Vic they took the Cavs to 7 in the playoffs last year and this season’s squad was better. They would’ve had a better seed with Vic, and would’ve done better for sure

True, but when they faced the C's they would have gotten beat.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

With Vic they were contending for the top 2-3 in the East. With Vic they took the Cavs to 7 in the playoffs last year and this season’s squad was better. They would’ve had a better seed with Vic, and would’ve done better for sure

I don’t follow the Pacers as closely as all of you do but seriously...come on...hoe many teams could lose their top player and not show the impact? The fact that the Pacers still stayed where they were and made the playoffs is at least a small win. Losing a player of Vic’s caliber changes way more than just his stats.

imagine if the Bucks had lost Giannis? Or the rockets lost James? Would their fans be irrational to complain that they lost in the first round and struggled to compete? Plus it’s not like the Pacers have a few stars...it appears to be a team built around Vic being the man and everyone complimenting around HIM. So of course they’re gonna look like a shadow of what they should be. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3

If Vic was playing this series, the Pacers take this series to a very min of 6 games if not 7.  The Pacers need to pair another All-star level type player with Vic if we want to take that next step.  This offseason is big for this team and the rehab for Vic this offseason is huge.  Anxious to see what all happens

8 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I don’t follow the Pacers as closely as all of you do but seriously...come on...hoe many teams could lose their top player and not show the impact? The fact that the Pacers still stayed where they were and made the playoffs is at least a small win. Losing a player of Vic’s caliber changes way more than just his stats.

imagine if the Bucks had lost Giannis? Or the rockets lost James? Would their fans be irrational to complain that they lost in the first round and struggled to compete? Plus it’s not like the Pacers have a few stars...it appears to be a team built around Vic being the man and everyone complimenting around HIM. So of course they’re gonna look like a shadow of what they should be. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Remember. We summarily dismiss our injuries for our college team as an excuse so it's natural to do the same for our NBA team too...right? Haha. Pacers as a team actually surpassed all of my expectations this year after Vic injury. Now we just need to get Vic healthy, resign Bojan, find another potential or close to all star in free agency or trade and Pacers have to decide on Nate. 

Nate can be a very good regular season coach because he keeps it light, isn't beating the team up....but in playoffs it might not be what a team needs.

I've only watched a couple of OKC games but one thing worth noting with Westbrook. He seems to rely on his athleticism to create his shots. If I was an OKC fan I'd be concerned about not being able to create those shots as father time catches up. He better be working on a pure shot vs creating because earning $40M per year and slowing down a tad won't play well.

22 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well when we made the PG trade everyone couldn't believe we got much back for him.  When you have a player who is a year from free agency and pretty much made it known that he is not coming back you will not get back true value.

Paul George isn't Anthony Davis though. I can guarantee that the Pelicans are going to try and get as much value as they can from trading him

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I've only watched a couple of OKC games but one thing worth noting with Westbrook. He seems to rely on his athleticism to create his shots. If I was an OKC fan I'd be concerned about not being able to create those shots as father time catches up. He better be working on a pure shot vs creating because earning $40M per year and slowing down a tad won't play well.

He's done a better job this year playing more of a facilitator role, a part of how and why PG has had such a great year. However, just look at his shots and selection from Game 4, a major reason for the Thunder's loss, at home, now down 3-1 and headed back to Portland. 

Looks like Portland takes this series, after the Thunder swept them 4-0 in the regular season. Lillard and Portland have been playing really good ball.

Westbrook's decision-making still an issue for the Thunder, who frankly are the best team to challenge the Warriors. Matchups are always key, and while the Rockets are playing really well, and just might get past GS this year, they're always one game from CPIII injuring himself again and I'd still bet on GS over the Rockets. Thunder-GS would be a a great series. Now Portland will probably win this series only to get smoked in its next series.

23 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me the main difference in this series is the coaches because Stevens totally out coached McMillian in this series.

Getting outcoached by Brad Stevens isn't exactly something to be ashamed of.  Not that it should be used as an excuse either, but there's a reason he is where he is.

On 4/21/2019 at 3:27 PM, IU Scott said:

To me the main difference in this series is the coaches because Stevens totally out coached McMillian in this series.

I would say the rosters too, certainly without Vic the Celtics clearly have the better roster/team as well.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would say the rosters too, certainly without Vic the Celtics clearly have the better roster/team as well.

I agree but if you watched this series the Pacers pretty much outplayed the Celtics in 2/3 of the game but lost because they had a bad 10 minute stretch each game.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree but if you watched this series the Pacers pretty much outplayed the Celtics in 2/3 of the game but lost because they had a bad 10 minute stretch each game.

I think 2/3 of the game is a little hyperbole. Most of the games had quarters that were tight and then quarters where one team would outplay the other. The difference is that when the Celtics outplayed the Pacers that pretty much overwhelmed them completely, outside of maybe 2 quarters the Pacers never really dominated. In the 8 quarters played in Boston the Celtics held the Pacers to 17 or fewer points in 3 of them. The Celtics also won 5 of the 8 quarters played in Indiana.

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think 2/3 of the game is a little hyperbole. Most of the games had quarters that were tight and then quarters where one team would outplay the other. The difference is that when the Celtics outplayed the Pacers that pretty much overwhelmed them completely, outside of maybe 2 quarters the Pacers never really dominated. In the 8 quarters played in Boston the Celtics held the Pacers to 17 or fewer points in 3 of them. The Celtics also won 5 of the 8 quarters played in Indiana.

Well to me the two areas where the Celtics outplayed the Pacers were either the start of the 3rd quarter and that is where coaches make adjustments.  the other area was the end of the 3rd quarter and the start of the 4th and that is where McMillian usually had at least 4 reserves in while the Celtics had most of their key players in.  I agree that the Celtics had the better roster but to me that is not why the Pacers lost.  the pacers outplayed the Celtics in at least 10 of the 16 quarters and led at half 3 of the 4 games so the Pacers competed with that roster.

6 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I respect the knowledge on this board. So I’m gonna ask this question...how good long term can’t giannis become? Assuming he stays healthy...

I don’t know how good he can’t become, that’s hurting my mind. 😀

He could become the most dominant player in the game. But he’d need to develop a legit jumper / outside shot to do so. That’s a sizesble hole in his game. He’s already a top 5-10 player, and he’s still young and improving. 

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

It would have been a hell of a series with Vic. This is a whole is greater than the sum of the parts discussion. The C’s have obviously had a lot of issues this season, I don’t think those are all resolved.it’s not a player vs. player across the roster comparison it’s a team comparison and the Pacers were easily a top 3 team with Vic, they are much better with Vic. And he would’ve opened and spread the floor against the C’s. I know you’re a C’s fan, but I think you’re being kind a little dismissive here G.

49 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don’t know how good he can’t become, that’s hurting my mind. 😀

He could become the most dominant player in the game. But he’d need to develop a legit jumper / outside shot to do so. That’s a sizesble hole in his game. He’s already a top 5-10 player, and he’s still young and improving. 

Yes nice typo Hans... 🤦🏻‍♂️

When I see his continued development, his defense and rebounding and passing for a big, and his outside shot has gone from non-existent to the point where he’s allowed to at least shoot now...gosh...if he can stay healthy for a long time...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I respect the knowledge on this board. So I’m gonna ask this question...how good long term can’t giannis become? Assuming he stays healthy...

If Giannis can develop a respectable 3 point shot(somewhere in the high 30's) and jump shot outside of the paint he could be the best player in the league or top 3 easily.  Similar to Ben Simmons, its bad when the defense is 5 feet off of Ben daring him to shoot a jump shot or 3 pointer. 

9 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Dude is already a top 5 player in the league and some can argue top 3. He will be the best player in the league soon

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It would have been a hell of a series with Vic. This is a whole is greater than the sum of the parts discussion. The C’s have obviously had a lot of issues this season, I don’t think those are all resolved.it’s not a player vs. player across the roster comparison it’s a team comparison and the Pacers were easily a top 3 team with Vic, they are much better with Vic. And he would’ve opened and spread the floor against the C’s. I know you’re a C’s fan, but I think you’re being kind a little dismissive here G.

You think I'm being dismissive by saying that WITHOUT Oladipo the Celtics roster is clearly better?

You did just see the Celtics sweep the series, right?