NBA Thread

4 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

The problem is the regular season and playoffs are just played at different levels.  Sweeping Portland in the regualar season means little.  I don't think you are giving Portland enough credit.  That team is really good and there is reason they made it to the 3rd seed.   Their roster is mostly now into their prime years and really came together as the season progressed. They added Kanter as a missing piece and he provided valuable insurance with the loss of Nurkic. Collins has a couple of years under his belt now and provides good minutes off the bench.  He will only get better.   The stars are just aligning up for them, IMO.  To me once you get past Russ, Adams and PG vs Lillard and McCollum,  the portland roster is deeper, more balanced and a lot better.   

Russ needs someone like CP3 does with the Beard to keep him focused. When Harden is about to let refs or other happenings on the court get n head, CP3 immediately says something to him.  Then Harden goes back to basketball. 

OKC is an extremely good team, and was absolutely capable of going much deeper in the playoffs. Bad Russ derailed that.

The same Portland team was swept out in the 1st round last season. They came into this playoffs, minus a key player, but much more focused — they ignored all the calls after their own disappointing collapse last year, to break up the roster and make major changes. I love Lillard’s game and attitude, and he has done an outstanding job getting them focused and carrying them when needed. 

But you’re discounting just how good this Thunder team is, it’s very good. But then it’s also very limited, when Westbrook goes back to his ball-dominant, me game. Don’t forget the team with Durant was up 3-2 on GS in the West Finals, then Durant and Westbrook chokes. PG played at the same level this year and with better D, but Westbrook blew it. This may be their ceiling, but it also may be the Finals, it’s on Russ - and they need another outside shooter and/or Roberson back 

On 4/24/2019 at 12:12 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

No chance. Not being disrespectful, but no, Bucks aren't ready. They may well not make it to the Finals in any event.

Not taking it disrespectful at all. Logically as far as history goes the Bucks should not stand a chance because every team needs a few years to learn how to get to and win in the finals. So I’m against the eight ball already..but messages boards are about fun so I’m gonna stick my neck out.

Ive followed the NBA for many years and I believe the Bucks have “it.” I could write 3-4 paragraphs why but suffice it to say this is my stand...

Bucks beat the Celtics in 6 games. Bucks beat the Raptors in 6. Bucks lose to the Warriors in 6 and most fans look at each other saying “omg they were a couple shots from forcing a game 7!” 

Thats my prediction. I believe this Bucks team is WAY different than most young and Talented teams. Yes they’re a talented but also mature beyond their years. They’re not even close to the same team they were last year at this time. Not close.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

Not taking it disrespectful at all. Logically as far as history goes the Bucks should not stand a chance because every team needs a few years to learn how to get to and win in the finals. So I’m against the eight ball already..but messages boards are about fun so I’m gonna stick my neck out.

Ive followed the NBA for many years and I believe the Bucks have “it.” I could write 3-4 paragraphs why but suffice it to say this is my stand...

Bucks beat the Celtics in 6 games. Bucks beat the Raptors in 6. Bucks lose to the Warriors in 6 and most fans look at each other saying “omg they were a couple shots from forcing a game 7!” 

Thats my prediction. I believe this Bucks team is WAY different than most young and Talented teams. Yes they’re a talented but also mature beyond their years. They’re not even close to the same team they were last year at this time. Not close.

I can’t disagree with that. I want to, but I can’t. I could see it going a different way too, but what you laid out is certainly possible. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

OKC is an extremely good team, and was absolutely capable of going much deeper in the playoffs. Bad Russ derailed that.

The same Portland team was swept out in the 1st round last season. They came into this playoffs, minus a key player, but much more focused — they ignored all the calls after their own disappointing collapse last year, to break up the roster and make major changes. I love Lillard’s game and attitude, and he has done an outstanding job getting them focused and carrying them when needed. 

But you’re discounting just how good this Thunder team is, it’s very good. But then it’s also very limited, when Westbrook goes back to his ball-dominant, me game. Don’t forget the team with Durant was up 3-2 on GS in the West Finals, then Durant and Westbrook chokes. PG played at the same level this year and with better D, but Westbrook blew it. This may be their ceiling, but it also may be the Finals, it’s on Russ - and they need another outside shooter and/or Roberson back 

You’re much higher on OKC than I am, but I will grant you that if they make some moves to add some shooters to surround PG and Russ, and Russ does a complete 180 in terms of his mentality and style (which I am not sure he’s capable of), then I could definitely see OKC making a run in the next couple years if some things go their way. They’ll need Durant to leave GS and some other contenders to not get stronger, but there could absolutely be a void in the West that they can fill. 

Again though, I really don’t think Russ has it in him to change who he is. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can’t disagree with that. I want to, but I can’t. I could see it going a different way too, but what you laid out is certainly possible. 

Honestly that’s all I’m saying, that’s it’s possible. Maybe barely probable. But I wouldn’t bet my bicycle let alone my house. Lol

6 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Honestly that’s all I’m saying, that’s it’s possible. Maybe barely probable. But I wouldn’t bet my bicycle let alone my house. Lol

It’s just as likely as anyone else coming out of the East. I’d pick the Celtics or Raptors just because they have more experience, but man the Bucks are good, finally have a coach to match their talent, and Giannis is a nightmare. 

11 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Golden State didn't. Had never been past the 2nd round when they won their first title.

15 hours ago, BGleas said:

You’re much higher on OKC than I am, but I will grant you that if they make some moves to add some shooters to surround PG and Russ, and Russ does a complete 180 in terms of his mentality and style (which I am not sure he’s capable of), then I could definitely see OKC making a run in the next couple years if some things go their way. They’ll need Durant to leave GS and some other contenders to not get stronger, but there could absolutely be a void in the West that they can fill. 

Again though, I really don’t think Russ has it in him to change who he is. 

They are , minimally, one of the best defensive teams in the League, and they played this season without Roberson, probably the best wing/perimeter defender in the game, and as they clearly showed this season, they can beat anyone when Russ is facilitating and PG is the primary scorer. That also takes us back to discussion of PG -- you weren't high on him before this season either. He was very much, deservedly, in the running for League MVP (behind Giannis), second leading scorer, #1 in steals per game and total steals, #3 in 3-pointers made, and #1 in recovering loose balls -- clearly a top 10 player, with Russ, and really should be defensive MVP, but will probably finish 2nd or 3rd there as well. They could win the whole thing, but that requires Russ to stop, well, himself, and like you, I question whether he can do that over a season. He did do it this year, for a while, then he reverted. Let's not forget they were up 14 on Portland in Portland with about 7 to go, then Russ blew the game playing me-ball. Do think, as we agree, they need another outside shooter though.

I personally think GS is at its end, and regardless whether Durant leaves. They are looking vulnerable. Someone will overtake them by next season, several teams are getting close and GS is starting to wane. Hell, they may lose this year. Not banking on it, but it's possible the way they're playing.

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Golden State didn't. Had never been past the 2nd round when they won their first title.

They weren't young though. Won't say it isn't possible for the Bucks, but they are inexperienced. They just played at best a mediocre team. Let's see how they do against the teams actually competing for the top of the East. I'm pretty much in awe of what Greek Freak is and can become, but to me it's somewhat like what LeBron did early on, in carrying his early teams to the Finals -- maybe Giannis is good enough to do that, but his cast of supporters is not on the level of teams like Boston, Philly and Toronto, and that's before he gets to the West. I see the Bucks as a serious contender as it continues to grow around Greek Freak, but not this year.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

They are , minimally, one of the best defensive teams in the League, and they played this season without Roberson, probably the best wing/perimeter defender in the game, and as they clearly showed this season, they can beat anyone when Russ is facilitating and PG is the primary scorer. That also takes us back to discussion of PG -- you weren't high on him before this season either. He was very much, deservedly, in the running for League MVP (behind Giannis), second leading scorer, #1 in steals per game and total steals, #3 in 3-pointers made, and #1 in recovering loose balls -- clearly a top 10 player, with Russ, and really should be defensive MVP, but will probably finish 2nd or 3rd there as well. They could win the whole thing, but that requires Russ to stop, well, himself, and like you, I question whether he can do that over a season. He did do it this year, for a while, then he reverted. Let's not forget they were up 14 on Portland in Portland with about 7 to go, then Russ blew the game playing me-ball. Do think, as we agree, they need another outside shooter though.

I personally think GS is at its end, and regardless whether Durant leaves. They are looking vulnerable. Someone will overtake them by next season, several teams are getting close and GS is starting to wane. Hell, they may lose this year. Not banking on it, but it's possible the way they're playing.

Like I said, I think there's an opportunity for OKC to step up, but I think they need to add some more shooters around PG and Russ, and I don't think Russ, as is, is a winner. I don't think you can win the entire thing with his mentality and the way he plays. He needs to completely shift his mindset for them to win. 

It's a little similar to Dwyane Wade when LeBron came to the Heat, though I think Russ is a more extreme case and it's a little different. But, after Miami lost to Dallas that first year, Wade said he had to shift his mentality and take a back seat to LeBron. He had to 'give' the team to LeBron for them to win. Russ needs to do the same thing with PG, but I don't have faith that he's capable of it. 

18 hours ago, BGleas said:

I really don’t think Russ has it in him to change who he is. 

I don't either. 

I'm just a casual follower of the NBA, but I like very little of what I see in Russell Westbrook other than his high motor.  He plays hard like he's always got something to prove, but having something to prove is also his downfall.  He may on occasion be able to turn off his ball-hog mentality for the benefit of the team, but he always seems to lapse into his "I've got to prove I'm the best" mentality and too often, he shoots poorly and his play is very costly to his team's success.  He often pouts and is a surly interview when he has a bad game.  His team should have written into his contract a $100,000 fine every time he answered an interview question with "next question."  If Westbrook could just brush that chip off his shoulder and just play hard but play smart team ball, who knows what he could accomplish.  If I'm a GM looking at, say Westbrook vs. Oladipo, I'm choosing Oladipo.  Not necessarily because I think he's a better player, but because he does a far better job of making those around him better, because he's a far better interview and because I'll bet he's a far better locker room presence and leader. 

If Westbrook's mental game was as good as his physical talent, who knows how good OKC could be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Tough day for Celtics Nation! I was lucky enough to meet him a couple times, really great guy. Also, one of the most underrated players in NBA history. He was an absolute stud. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Like I said, I think there's an opportunity for OKC to step up, but I think they need to add some more shooters around PG and Russ, and I don't think Russ, as is, is a winner. I don't think you can win the entire thing with his mentality and the way he plays. He needs to completely shift his mindset for them to win. 

It's a little similar to Dwyane Wade when LeBron came to the Heat, though I think Russ is a more extreme case and it's a little different. But, after Miami lost to Dallas that first year, Wade said he had to shift his mentality and take a back seat to LeBron. He had to 'give' the team to LeBron for them to win. Russ needs to do the same thing with PG, but I don't have faith that he's capable of it. 

I think we're both repeating things here, we agree Russ is the problem. Like I said, like you I question whether Russ can do that over a season. Three seasons in a row averaging a triple double. Clearly one of the most talented players the game has seen. But what a paradox he presents. Jeez Russ, chill the anger over people questioning the way you share the ball, and just do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't either. 

I'm just a casual follower of the NBA, but I like very little of what I see in Russell Westbrook other than his high motor.  He plays hard like he's always got something to prove, but having something to prove is also his downfall.  He may on occasion be able to turn off his ball-hog mentality for the benefit of the team, but he always seems to lapse into his "I've got to prove I'm the best" mentality and too often, he shoots poorly and his play is very costly to his team's success.  He often pouts and is a surly interview when he has a bad game.  His team should have written into his contract a $100,000 fine every time he answered an interview question with "next question."  If Westbrook could just brush that chip off his shoulder and just play hard but play smart team ball, who knows what he could accomplish.  If I'm a GM looking at, say Westbrook vs. Oladipo, I'm choosing Oladipo.  Not necessarily because I think he's a better player, but because he does a far better job of making those around him better, because he's a far better interview and because I'll bet he's a far better locker room presence and leader. 

If Westbrook's mental game was as good as his physical talent, who knows how good OKC could be.

The one -- really the only one -- point I'd take issue with here is the locker room comment. Pretty sure that every single player, to a man, stands behind Westbrook as a great teammate and leader. It's largely why PG stayed in OKC. By all accounts, he's a great locker room presence and teammate. Now, as a leader, he should move forward with the facilitating game he showed, for a good stretch of the season, this season, but then blew apart.

In a way, he reminds me of Kobe (who, frankly, I never liked much, until he started maturing towards the end of his career). Kobe almost always put himself, and his scoring first. But he got rings, because he had guys like Shaq and Gasol and usually a solid point guard. 

Real problem is that PG is more of a follower than alpha dog, so if Russ takes a backseat, I don’t see George capable of stepping up.  He is a great player who needs someone else to be the vocal leader of a team.  He likes to say he is, but the way he follow along with Russ’ antics leads me to believe it is the blind leading the blind.  They are both immature and lack professional character. It was all there for the world to see during and after the Portland series.  They need to grow up and this is coming from someone who likes their games in the purest form.  

Edited by IUALUM03