NBA Thread

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I think people forget just how good Steph is. Steph without Durant is in many ways the most dynamic offensive player in the league, and IMO, without question in that top 5 group of players that's really hard to separate at this point. 

Agree 100%. It’s debateable if he’s the best player of this generation, but nobody has impacted the way the game is played more than Steph Curry in a really long time. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree 100%. It’s debateable if he’s the best player of this generation, but nobody has impacted the way the game is played more than Steph Curry in a really long time. 

He's also unique in the sense that there's nobody to really compare him to stylistically. Jordan-Kobe, Magic-LeBron, etc.  There have been dead-eye shooters, there have been lightning quick point guards, but being off the charts at both hasn't (IMO) happened.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

He's also unique in the sense that there's nobody to really compare him to stylistically. Jordan-Kobe, Magic-LeBron, etc.  There have been dead-eye shooters, there have been lightning quick point guards, but being off the charts at both hasn't (IMO) happened.

I'd argue there has never been a shooter like him. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I've been trying to find a comparable player and I just can't. There have been dead on shooters we've all watched but none like him with the quickness, the move and still be able to pull up and drain. Fun exercise actually...trying to think of anyone close.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’d expand that to include there’s never been someone who can shoot, dribble, and have that quick of a release ever. He actually isn’t all that amazing of an “athlete” but dang his skill set is like no one I’ve seen or watched before past or present.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I was explaining that to someone the other day. He might end up not even being a top ten player ever but he might be one of the top 2-3 to influence the game ever.

7 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I was explaining that to someone the other day. He might end up not even being a top ten player ever but he might be one of the top 2-3 to influence the game ever.

It'll be really interesting to see where he ends up on an all-time list. I think you can make the case now that he is a top ten player ever. 

On a related note, I think Klay might be the second best shooter ever but he will likely never get quite that much credit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

To me, Steph is a new genre.  Never seen anything like him period.  He is today's "gold standard".  In years ahead, guys will be measured against him.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It'll be really interesting to see where he ends up on an all-time list. I think you can make the case now that he is a top ten player ever. 

On a related note, I think Klay might be the second best shooter ever but he will likely never get quite that much credit. 

You really think you can say he’s top ten ever right now? So if god forbid he was killed in a car wreck people would say the body of his work is top ten EVER? Idk if I could go there yet. But maybe I’m not seeing it clearly.

What about his defense? Heck for everyone...it seems like half of players games anymore don’t even matter in people’s eyes anymore. If you average 30 a game you can be a deplorable defender and give up 30 on the other end and people still think you’re great. Haven’t been able to figure that out at all. Not just for Steph but players like lebron even.

Edited by BADGERVOL

26 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’d expand that to include there’s never been someone who can shoot, dribble, and have that quick of a release ever. He actually isn’t all that amazing of an “athlete” but dang his skill set is like no one I’ve seen or watched before past or present.

Best I can come up with is he has the shooting ability of Bird with the quickness of Iverson.

25 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I love the guy personally. I actually liked him as one of my favorite players when I was in HS (odd I know). But I have to admit when he does pressers and when he’s mic’d Up in the huddles I’m NEVER impressed with what comes out of his mouth X’s And O’s wise. Maybe just me but he always seems to just bathe his players with compliments and say such obvious things in huddles. Maybe he’s got such a talented team he just needs to keep them relaxed and not say much. I know Jackson was similar but he created an entire offense and always “appeared” more of a brilliant mind. And popavich showed he could win with tons of different players playing tons of different roles even changing as they aged. I just don’t see Kerr in their league at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

You really think you can say he’s top ten ever right now? So if god forbid he was killed in a car wreck people would say the body of his work is top ten EVER? Idk if I could go there yet. But maybe I’m not seeing it clearly.

What about his defense? Heck for everyone...it seems like half of players games anymore don’t even matter in people’s eyes anymore. If you average 30 a game you can be a deplorable defender and give up 30 on the other end and people still think you’re great. Haven’t been able to figure that out at all. Not just for Steph but players like lebron even.

At one point in the evolution of football, I'm sure people uttered the phrase "Yeah, he can run the ball, but where can you put him on defense?"

Point is not to diminish defense, but to say that greatness always has the element of time brought into it. Games and they way they are played evolve.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I love the guy personally. I actually liked him as one of my favorite players when I was in HS (odd I know). But I have to admit when he does pressers and when he’s mic’d Up in the huddles I’m NEVER impressed with what comes out of his mouth X’s And O’s wise. Maybe just me but he always seems to just bathe his players with compliments and say such obvious things in huddles. Maybe he’s got such a talented team he just needs to keep them relaxed and not say much. I know Jackson was similar but he created an entire offense and always “appeared” more of a brilliant mind. And popavich showed he could win with tons of different players playing tons of different roles even changing as they aged. I just don’t see Kerr in their league at all.

You could be the most brilliant tactician in the world, but you're going nowhere if your troops aren't behind you. And you're likely going to get beat by some good but not great tacticians who has a group solidly behind him.

Some groups need a kick in the ass, some need a pat on the back. Good leaders can and know when to apply both.

6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

You could be the most brilliant tactician in the world, but you're going nowhere if your troops aren't behind you. And you're likely going to get beat by some good but not great tacticians who has a group solidly behind him.

Some groups need a kick in the ass, some need a pat on the back. Good leaders can and know when to apply both.

You’re right leadership wise he obviously must be amazing to balance all those egos. I guess I just haven’t seen or heard a lot of wise basketball IQ statements. Obviously he can’t be dumb or he wouldn’t have respect of his players which he clearly does.

18 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

At one point in the evolution of football, I'm sure people uttered the phrase "Yeah, he can run the ball, but where can you put him on defense?"

Point is not to diminish defense, but to say that greatness always has the element of time brought into it. Games and they way they are played evolve.

I’d love having a beer with you and talking sports! But this one I’m gonna disagree on. I’m sure people did say that at some point but when that player wasn’t playing defense someone else WAS. The game is determined on both ends and if you’re SUCH a bad defender that the other team literally does everything they can to switch and to rotate to get YOU to defend the ball because they know they can TORCH you with almost anyone on the court, I think that has to at least be considered into how good of a player you are overall. I’d argue John stockton was a better defender than Curry and he certainly wasn’t as quick.

Edited by BADGERVOL

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’d love having a beer with you and talking sports! But this one I’m gonna disagree on. I’m sure people did say that at some point but when that player wasn’t playing defense someone else WAS. The game is determined on both ends and if you’re SUCH a bad defender that the other team literally does everything they can to switch and to rotate to get YOU to defend the ball because they know they can TORCH you with almost anyone on the court, I think that has to at least be considered into how good of a player you are overall. I’d argue John stockton was a better defender than Curry and he certainly wasn’t as quick.

Stockton was a better defender, because he had to be. That Era of the game demanded it. Today, that level of D isn't being asked of players. It doesn't hurt, but it's not as high up on the list of priorities.

It's not whether one is better than the other. It's not about if its the way it "should be". It just is.

I think Steph is today a top 10 offensive player (ever), but he’s not in the top 10 of all players otherwise. 

It’s worth pointing out that if you put Steph in the 90’s he’d get mauled and wouldn’t shoot nearly as well, and if you put guys like Reggie or Bird in today’s game their scoring would be at least equal, the rules strongly favor guards and high scoring, it’s why the scoring is as high as it is now. 

But it’s also not really fair, and difficult, to do the generation comparison thing. No question Steph is one of the best and quickest shooters, and an elite point guard. 

I still wonder how guys like Nash (also very quick) and Stockton would look in today’s game. I’d definitely want them on my team 

57 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think Steph is today a top 10 offensive player (ever), but he’s not in the top 10 of all players otherwise. 

It’s worth pointing out that if you put Steph in the 90’s he’d get mauled and wouldn’t shoot nearly as well, and if you put guys like Reggie or Bird in today’s game their scoring would be at least equal, the rules strongly favor guards and high scoring, it’s why the scoring is as high as it is now. 

But it’s also not really fair, and difficult, to do the generation comparison thing. No question Steph is one of the best and quickest shooters, and an elite point guard. 

I still wonder how guys like Nash (also very quick) and Stockton would look in today’s game. I’d definitely want them on my team 

I think guys like Nash and Kidd would have adapted. They were athletic enough to handle the tempo today, and weren't horrible shooters.

What I wonder is how guys like Iverson would have done. Athletic as all hell, but his game was based on getting past his man and driving, which goes against the trends of today. Jump shooting wasn't his forte.

49 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m not sure how much of an open mind Lebron has to listening to a coach who isn’t his stooge.  He was mostly ok with Spoelstra, I guess.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out but I hope Vogel stands up to him.  

Anyone who stands up you lebron will create a loss loss situation. Unfortunately