NBA Thread

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I think guys like Nash and Kidd would have adapted. They were athletic enough to handle the tempo today, and weren't horrible shooters.

What I wonder is how guys like Iverson would have done. Athletic as all hell, but his game was based on getting past his man and driving, which goes against the trends of today. Jump shooting wasn't his forte.

Kidd a good shooter?

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think Steph is today a top 10 offensive player (ever), but he’s not in the top 10 of all players otherwise. 

It’s worth pointing out that if you put Steph in the 90’s he’d get mauled and wouldn’t shoot nearly as well, and if you put guys like Reggie or Bird in today’s game their scoring would be at least equal, the rules strongly favor guards and high scoring, it’s why the scoring is as high as it is now. 

But it’s also not really fair, and difficult, to do the generation comparison thing. No question Steph is one of the best and quickest shooters, and an elite point guard. 

I still wonder how guys like Nash (also very quick) and Stockton would look in today’s game. I’d definitely want them on my team 

Stockton and Malone were SO stuck together idk any two players were more dependent on each other making the other so great. Was never a Jazz fan but OMG those two had chemistry an honors class couldn’t figure out. 

Stockton might have done more with less athletic ability than any other player ever outside of maybe Bird. His IQ was off the charts.

• Like 1

Here’s a discussion starter...who from the 70s,80s and 90s would’ve blown up in today’s rules and what guys from today could’ve still been really good back then?

i’ll start...Draymond green could’ve done well back in the 90s. I think pistol Pete would’ve had a hay day with these rules.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Here’s a discussion starter...who from the 70s,80s and 90s would’ve blown up in today’s rules and what guys from today could’ve still been really good back then?

i’ll start...Draymond green could’ve done well back in the 90s. I think pistol Pete would’ve had a hay day with these rules.

I think DeAndre Jordan would have done just as well in earlier eras.

A guy to bring forward (aside from the obvious Jordan)? Bird. He could sink an off balance three with one guy in his face and another punching him in the junk. Leave him alone and don't touch him? Almost not fair.

• Like 2

Well earlier today someone mentioned Iverson.   He may not have been a shooter per se but his mid range game was nasty and if he xould easily get around guys that could grab him, lol, thinking about him getting wherever he wants now.  

Clyde and MJ driving or mid range.  You have to remember,  they literally had to shove the defenders hands and arms out of the way before making a move.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Stockton and Malone were SO stuck together idk any two players were more dependent on each other making the other so great. Was never a Jazz fan but OMG those two had chemistry an honors class couldn’t figure out. 

Stockton might have done more with less athletic ability than any other player ever outside of maybe Bird. His IQ was off the charts.

He was also a hell of a shooter 

17 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

To me if Jordan would have played with the rules today would score 45 points a game

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me if Jordan would have played with the rules today would score 45 points a game

While this might sound like hyperbole, keep in mind, Jordan averaged 37 a game in 1986-87 (and yes, it was 82 games). 45 isn't as much of a stretch as you might think.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Lillard is on a mission. 

The GS - Blazers series should be a good one 

Really enjoying watching the Blazers (and the Nuggets for that matter). I think we saw in the 4th quarter what separates a guy like Lillard from guys like Westbrook and Kyrie. In a huge game where he didn’t have it most of the night, Lillard was perfectly willing to let the hot guy (McCullom) take the leading role and the big shots. 

Lillard flat-out just wants to win and he doesn’t care how. 

• Like 1

There are legends being born and legacies being cemented before our eyes this year.

Curry and Kawhi moving further away from superstar and more towards legend. The rise of the Greek Freak. And Lillard knocking on the door, showing that he should be in the conversation about the best of this era too.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

There are legends being born and legacies being cemented before our eyes this year.

Curry and Kawhi moving further away from superstar and more towards legend. The rise of the Greek Freak. And Lillard knocking on the door, showing that he should be in the conversation about the best of this era too.

The playoffs have been so good!

Raptors-Bucks is so interesting. Five days ago I would have picked the Raptors, but I’m not so sure anymore. The core around Kawhi really didn’t play well in Games 6&7 and the core around Giannis played really well in the Boston series. 

With that said, Kawhi and Giannis are so good, but Kawhi at this stage is a much more well-rounded player and Toronto has a lot of athletic guys with size (Kawhi, Siakim, Ibaka, and even Gasol) that are good defenders to throw at Giannis. 

• Like 1

Thought this was an interesting tweet. Not to mention Kawhi went to San Diego St. Got me thinking about Trey Lyles and others like him who leave early but are end of bench guys who play little to no minutes. Everyone wants to rush to NBA to get to the 2nd contract but if you aren't developed enough you'll never see the 2nd contract. 

David Worlock @DavidWorlock
FollowingFollowing @DavidWorlock
More

The four best players who will definitely play in the Western Conference finals went to Washington State, Davidson, Weber State and Lehigh. All played college basketball for at least three years.

3:25 PM - 12 May 2019
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Raptors-Bucks is so interesting. Five days ago I would have picked the Raptors, but I’m not so sure anymore. The core around Kawhi really didn’t play well in Games 6&7 and the core around Giannis played really well in the Boston series. 

With that said, Kawhi and Giannis are so good, but Kawhi at this stage is a much more well-rounded player and Toronto has a lot of athletic guys with size (Kawhi, Siakim, Ibaka, and even Gasol) that are good defenders to throw at Giannis. 

It should be a really good series. 

I still think the Raps will win it, as the more experienced team and much more battle tested in the playoffs -- due to Kyrie, Boston just didn't bring it, and Detroit wasn't a test at all for the Bucks. But, like you, I am not at all certain.

The balance the Bucks bring in Giannis crashing to the rim with outside shooters waiting makes it hard to defend them, pick your poison, they are confident, and definitely well coached. 

At the start of the playoffs, for the Raps, there was too much iso-ball / too much emphasis on Kawhi's offense -- I say that despite how incredibly good Kawhi has been throughout. They weren't bringing balance. That got corrected against the Sixers, but it still took that amazing shot by Kawhi at the end of Game 7 at home to beat the Sixers. In fairness, the Sixers really brought it.

Agree with you that the Raptors have more D / athletic defenders to help limit Giannis, and who for the Bucks can stop Kawhi? He will lock down shooters while scoring efficiently. Question is though, who else will bring it offensively for the Raps? They've been inconsistent and Lowry is not playing at a high level right now. Another tough series coming.

14 hours ago, BGleas said:

Really enjoying watching the Blazers (and the Nuggets for that matter). I think we saw in the 4th quarter what separates a guy like Lillard from guys like Westbrook and Kyrie. In a huge game where he didn’t have it most of the night, Lillard was perfectly willing to let the hot guy (McCullom) take the leading role and the big shots. 

Lillard flat-out just wants to win and he doesn’t care how. 

I'm starting to think the Blazers will take down GS.

I thought the Rockets had a chance -- until Durant was injured, which brought GS back to its roots and left the Rockets going fishing. 

Portland is not scared, at all, of GS. Lillard has been dying for this series. I think GS would've backhanded Denver. This Portland team is a much bigger test, imo.