NBA Thread

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Not really following your list? Durant to me is an outlier on that list. Steve Nash gave everything he had to Phoenix, same with Malone to Utah. Barkley got traded to Phoenix after Philly failed to put a quality team around him. 

I was thinking about Barkley going to Houston, but that was also a trade, and a pretty fair one at that: Barkley and a 2nd for Cassell, Horry, Mark Bryant and Chucky Brown.

Nash to the Lakers fit the model a little more, but that was also equally on the Lakers. They offered 2 1sts and 2 2nds for a 36 year old point guard with a reputation for playing hard. Why would they turn that down?

Malone to the Lakers, guilty as charged, but he was at the end of his career, which is a little more understandable.

A player at the end of his career, I don't have a problem with them chasing a ring if they don't have one. Different sport, but one of my favorite moments in hockey was watching Ray Bourque hoist the Stanley Cup for the first time after 22 seasons (and that was after they beat my Blues in the conference finals no less). He was Boston's captain for over a decade, played for them for 20 years. During that 20th season, he respectfully asked to be traded to a contender, since the Bruins weren't going to be in the playoffs. They didn't win it that year, but the following season, Colorado won the Cup. It's hockey tradition for the team captain to be the first to hoist the cup after its presented. That year, Colorado's captain didn't hoist it, but picked it up, and handed it to Bourque, saying "This one's yours."

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

I find them likeable again now that Durant is out. 

Oh no question the ball movement and cutting to space is back, what made GS great — but I am SO tired of Draymond and for that matter Steph. They had their day, their arrogance has reached epic proportions. Just want them gone at this point lol 

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah.  It does.  So much focus on the impacts of the one who committed the violation, and no recognition given to the fact that a ban like that is, in fact, a deterrent.  And, let's not kid ourselves, this is not a marijuana violation.  Now, next time a young player gets offered drugs at a party, it's not unrealistic to think that one of the things that pops into his head is 'Man, I don't want to end up like Tyreke Evans.'  

The ban is a good thing.  It's not all about Tyreke.  It's about keeping control of this type of thing in the league.  And, to do that, the penalty has to be severe.   Otherwise, you take youth and money, and combine that with the influences from the neighborhoods that many of these players grew up with, and the league would have a recipe for disaster if the policy was not strict.  

Naah. Did what happen to OJ Mayo change anything? Nope. 

We live in a time when Weed is being legalized across the country. Drugs like coke today are the rarity.

Very few NBA, college etc. players are into the hardcore drugs. You generally can’t function in today’s game taking those kind of drugs — but a huge percentage of players, pro and college smoke weed. 

I see no “message” results from this kind of punishment, really, none. Not to make this into a political discussion, but even the idea that harsher jail sentences will persuade people not to commit crimes, especially drug crimes, has been debunked a thousand times over 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Naah. Did what happen to OJ Mayo change anything? Nope. 

We live in a time when Weed is being legalized across the country. Drugs like coke today are the rarity.

Very few NBA, college etc. players are into the hardcore drugs. You generally can’t function in today’s game taking those kind of drugs — but a huge percentage of players, pro and college smoke weed. 

I see no “message” results from this kind of punishment, really, none. Not to make this into a political discussion, but even the idea that harsher jail sentences will persuade people not to commit crimes, especially drug crimes, has been debunked a thousand times over 

I think you missed his point"...this is not a marijuana violation..."

• Like 1

I’m surprised any of the major sports test for recreational drugs..figured just PEDs. Trust me I’m not in support of any recreational drug use but at this point it seems late to put that genie in the bottle so why these sports chase after their athletes doing them is beyond me. Seems to me keeping them in their job and around those that can help and hold them accountable (teams) is the best way to fight it. Shove them out of their job and it seems it would push them further into usage. I could understand taking action if they get in legal trouble as a result but to just be chasing after them seems over kill.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

George Hill is putting together a nice playoffs.   

Screenshot_20190519-204832.jpg

Good coaching and surrounded by a team full of good shooters...he is put in a perfect position to just do what he does best...but yes he is taking advantage of his opportunity and perhaps playing some of his best basketball.

So Kawhi is the best player on the floor, I think clearly, in this series. But it very much appears the Bucks will win it and are Finals bound.

Giannis with 8 TO's (again, he gets out of control, he's a top 5 player but has a ways to go before you place him with LeBron, Kawhi and Durant offensively, he is not there), 5-16, air balls a free throw (has any League MVP ever shot an air ball at the stripe in the playoffs?, maybe Shaq?), and gets thoroughly outplayed by Kawhi, and the Bucks shot bad (again partly due to Toronto's D) and it's still a double OT game? 

I'd bet on Giannis having a monster game in game 4, will be surprised if the Raps win the next one, especially with Kawhi favoring the left leg and playing 50-plus minutes. But man Kawhi has been special, every single big game he comes through, clutch with the best clutch players ever, the guy is special.

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I think you missed his point"...this is not a marijuana violation..."

No, I didn't. 

"Now, next time a young player gets offered drugs at a party, it's not unrealistic to think that one of the things that pops into his head is 'Man, I don't want to end up like Tyreke Evans.' " 

In any event, don't want to expand / take this NBA thread off track. Back to bball.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

So Kawhi is the best player on the floor, I think clearly, in this series. But it very much appears the Bucks will win it and are Finals bound.

Giannis with 8 TO's (again, he gets out of control, he's a top 5 player but has a ways to go before you place him with LeBron, Kawhi and Durant offensively, he is not there), 5-16, air balls a free throw (has any League MVP ever shot an air ball at the stripe in the playoffs?, maybe Shaq?), and gets thoroughly outplayed by Kawhi, and the Bucks shot bad (again partly due to Toronto's D) and it's still a double OT game? 

I'd bet on Giannis having a monster game in game 4, will be surprised if the Raps win the next one, especially with Kawhi favoring the left leg and playing 50-plus minutes. But man Kawhi has been special, every single big game he comes through, clutch with the best clutch players ever, the guy is special.

Agree. Kawhi is currently the best player in the series but Milwaukee has a the best team. Also, saying Kawhi is the best player isn't a slight again Giannis, Kawhi was in Giannis' shoes about 5-6 years ago. Giannis is already an absolute stud, he just has some learning and maturing (in terms of playoff basketball, not attitude) to do. He's a young player and as he continues to grow the sky is the limit. Kawhi has just already gone through that growth process. 

GS-Milwaukee will be interesting. I'm a believer that GS is actually better without Durant, but this is one series where I'd maybe walk that back. GS might need Durant on the defensive end to help slow down Giannis. With Durant out GS loses a lot of length, which you need against Giannis. On the flip side, while Milwaukee's length has served them well defensively against Boston and Toronto, I think it could hurt them against GS. Several of Milwaukee's tall, long guys are not overly athletic guys (Lopez, Mirotic, Illasoyva, etc.) and I think GS speed and movement can exploit that. 

Either way, it should be a really interesting series. 

52 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Kawhi is currently the best player in the series but Milwaukee has a the best team. Also, saying Kawhi is the best player isn't a slight again Giannis, Kawhi was in Giannis' shoes about 5-6 years ago. Giannis is already an absolute stud, he just has some learning and maturing (in terms of playoff basketball, not attitude) to do. He's a young player and as he continues to grow the sky is the limit. Kawhi has just already gone through that growth process. 

GS-Milwaukee will be interesting. I'm a believer that GS is actually better without Durant, but this is one series where I'd maybe walk that back. GS might need Durant on the defensive end to help slow down Giannis. With Durant out GS loses a lot of length, which you need against Giannis. On the flip side, while Milwaukee's length has served them well defensively against Boston and Toronto, I think it could hurt them against GS. Several of Milwaukee's tall, long guys are not overly athletic guys (Lopez, Mirotic, Illasoyva, etc.) and I think GS speed and movement can exploit that. 

Either way, it should be a really interesting series. 

We are agreed across the board here. No intention to slight Giannis at all, already a top 5 player, or thereabouts depending on how you rank guys, he has the makings of potentially #1 or 2 in the League, much as Kawhi had at one point. He needs to develop a jumper, and hone his offensive work in attacking the basket against a wall or another strong defender with length -- he relies on his elite athleticism, which is absolutely elite, but improving the handle, footwork and decision-making in traffic will vault him further. When LeBron came into the League he wasn't much of an outside shooter. He developed a solid to sometimes very good outside game. Imagine Giannis if he does that -- kind of like Durant is almost unguardable, Giannis could be as well.

Good points, imo, about Durant's potential absence impacting that (expected) series. I an not a fan of Durant or the way he changes the way GS plays, but his D, now elite, and ability to put pressure on Giannis offensively would really throw the Bucks off, imo. However, as well as the Warriors are playing right now and with their exceptional ball movement and shooting, I don't see the Bucks getting past 6 against GS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm lost. I re-read what Fouls said and still don't think he was making this an issue about marijuana, but I'll respect the request to move on.

I'm not either. I was talking (and referenced) his points about drugs and the 'message' idea that it would dissuade drug use in the NBA. Back to bball.

An interesting line I missed earlier --

After defending him on just three shots through the first two games, Antetokounmpo went 1-for-9 and scored two points when guarded by Leonard in Game 3, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. When Antetokounmpo went up against anyone else, he was 4-for-7 and scored 10 points.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26785110/kawhi-shrugs-leg-issue-win-good

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The end of this Warriors-Blazers game is awesome. Tied up 111-111 with 57.5 to go. 

GS is impressive like them or not..they just are winners. Defense is under rated and you just can’t estimate how much spirit they have. Even with out Andre tonight. Wow!

Edited by dgambill

Just now, dgambill said:

GS is impressive like them or not..they just are winners. Defense is under rated and you just can’t estimate how much spirit they have. Wow!

Yeah, easily could have just packed it in and gone back home to win Game 5. They came back from 17 down and Steph played the entire second half + overtime. 

• Like 1

I’m going to say this about GS...I think this adversity with Boogie and then KD going down was actually a good thing for them...they were playing with no passion...like robot mode and this woke them up and they thrived with the challenge because they haven’t been challenged all year. Now if Durant comes back it will be a challenge for him to show why he was needed and they may get his best version too!

• Like 1

Some interesting discussion on NBA radio on an "adjustment" the Bucks could make. Move Giannis off playing from the top with mostly 4 guys on the perimeter. Have him move the ball more, and either start Hill or have him play more minutes. The Bucks' offense is up and down, Bledsoe is not effective in this series, Hill is playing well, and running an offense with Giannis from the top allows the Raps to build a wall (against which he struggles). When the shots are falling from the outside for the Bucks they look better, but that's a weakness and it's correctable.