NBA Thread

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Then don't because nobody is making you read these post.

You sure have been throwing a lot of jabs around here lately. Not sute why, but I used to really enjoy your posts.

Lately, they just seem angry or snarky.

But then again. You did help me realize I have the freedom to either read or not read a post. So, thanks for that insight.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Then don't because nobody is making you read these post.

HH is nicer than I am. If you dont have anything to say on the topic dont say anything at all. This is your MO it seems like on this board and quite frankly feel free to take it some where else if this board doesn't suit you. There are plenty of IU boards out there.

• Like 1

I'm seeing both sides of this having been on the "Vic" side of the debate.  I've felt almost ridiculed for suggesting that Vic is every bit the player Paul George is (this season and perhaps going forward).  I understand the historical statistics, but I also understand trajectory, attitude and organizational fit.  I've almost heard the laughter and scoffing while reading some posts here opinion that Vic is not possibly in the same plateau as PG even as the statistics continue to bear out the opinion that he's caught George, who is likely on the back side of the apex of his talent.  I've tried to keep my comments on the level and non-confrontational, but I've seen posts on both sides of the issue that appeared to belittle opposing views and IMO, Scott may be reacting to that vibe...or maybe he's just having a bad week.  Probably nothing that a big win in Bloomington tonight can't cure.:coffee:

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm seeing both sides of this having been on the "Vic" side of the debate.  I've felt almost ridiculed for suggesting that Vic is every bit the player Paul George is (this season and perhaps going forward).  I understand the historical statistics, but I also understand trajectory, attitude and organizational fit.  I've almost heard the laughter and scoffing while reading some posts here opinion that Vic is not possibly in the same plateau as PG even as the statistics continue to bear out the opinion that he's caught George, who is likely on the back side of the apex of his talent.  I've tried to keep my comments on the level and non-confrontational, but I've seen posts on both sides of the issue that appeared to belittle opposing views and IMO, Scott may be reacting to that vibe...or maybe he's just having a bad week.  Probably nothing that a big win in Bloomington tonight can't cure.:coffee:

I agree and thought about posting something similar earlier. I haven't read the entirety of the last several pages as I have lost interest in the endless PG discussion and instead only skim it for discussion of Vic and other former IU players but from what I saw and IMO, Scott received snark prior to responding with snark. That doesn't excuse a snarky response but IMO again, it does go toward the reasons for it. 

56 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

I agree and thought about posting something similar earlier. I haven't read the entirety of the last several pages as I have lost interest in the endless PG discussion and instead only skim it for discussion of Vic and other former IU players but from what I saw and IMO, Scott received snark prior to responding with snark. That doesn't excuse a snarky response but IMO again, it does go toward the reasons for it. 

I'm with you in that I don't care about the VO /PG debate (although it has at times been enlightening /entertaining) and do appreciate the actual NBA updates. 

Maybe the comparisons can be moved to a separate thread leaving this one for the IU players and not NBA talk in general? 

On 11/20/2017 at 2:40 PM, 5fouls said:

On your point about the Celtics falling back to earth...Brad Stevens is good for 8-10 wins a year, if not more.  

On 11/20/2017 at 2:55 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

He's a hell of a coach.

I think the IU fan base gave up on Stevens as a realistic option 2-3 years ago, and practically no one mentioned his name as we got Archie.  But, the clamoring back in the day was justified.  I always liked Larry in the 80's but the Celtics are hardly my team.  When you take into account what he has had to work with, Stevens is probably the best at coaching any sport, any level.  Smart, knows how to handle players, great tactician, no dysfunction (which is practically a miracle by NBA ego standards).  I have never heard a peep of any bad thing said about Stevens by anyone.  It's remarkable that we have not heard of any disgruntled player going after him, etc.  He's obviously highly respected in all circles.  

As far as the East, it is going to be very interesting to see how things develop.  Regardless of Stevens, I am not sure that Philly isn't the organization with the highest upside in the longer term, if Embiid's feet and legs can hold up consistently.  And the Greek Freak has potential to be the best player in the league.  It's insane what he can do.  Big time players get calls in the playoffs.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think the IU fan base gave up on Stevens as a realistic option 2-3 years ago, and practically no one mentioned his name as we got Archie.  But, the clamoring back in the day was justified.  I always liked Larry in the 80's but the Celtics are hardly my team.  When you take into account what he has had to work with, Stevens is probably the best at coaching any sport, any level.  Smart, knows how to handle players, great tactician, no dysfunction (which is practically a miracle by NBA ego standards).  I have never heard a peep of any bad thing said about Stevens by anyone.  It's remarkable that we have not heard of any disgruntled player going after him, etc.  He's obviously highly respected in all circles.  

As far as the East, it is going to be very interesting to see how things develop.  Regardless of Stevens, I am not sure that Philly isn't the organization with the highest upside in the longer term, if Embiid's feet and legs can hold up consistently.  And the Greek Freak has potential to be the best player in the league.  It's insane what he can do.  Big time players get calls in the playoffs.

It's still early, but as of right now I'd put B Stevens as the up and coming Pop -- Pop's the best coach in the NBA, imo, and has been for years, but Stevens is looking like he could step into those very big shoes. Truly an outstanding coach and highly regarded by his players.

And yes, the East is going to be fun to watch develop. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's still early, but as of right now I'd put B Stevens as the up and coming Pop -- Pop's the best coach in the NBA, imo, and has been for years, but Stevens is looking like he could step into those very big shoes. Truly an outstanding coach and highly regarded by his players.

And yes, the East is going to be fun to watch develop. 

+1

Yes, Pop is fantastic. I'm a big fan.   Interesting that both Pop and Stevens are native Hoosiers.  Nick Saban and Bill Belichick are in the mix for best coaches too.  Brad is younger but his track record, and playing with the hand dealt to him, is unreal.  It's not a coincidence when success inevitably follows you around after awhile.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

That's a really nice article. It also gives me a new level of respect for Nate McMillan.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 12:06 AM, Indykev said:

HH is nicer than I am. If you dont have anything to say on the topic dont say anything at all. This is your MO it seems like on this board and quite frankly feel free to take it some where else if this board doesn't suit you. There are plenty of IU boards out there.

Not trying to be snarky but he complains any time someone bashes PG.  If he knows people are doing this then why bother reading them if he does not like it.  HH is snarky to anyone who does not agree with him on this topic so why to I get ridiculed when I post what I did.

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not trying to be snarky but he complains any time someone bashes PG.  If he knows people are doing this then why bother reading them if he does not like it.  HH is snarky to anyone who does not agree with him on this topic so why to I get ridiculed when I post what I did.

I am not snarky to people who do not agree with me, and you've been rude and snarky to several posters on here. Posts don't usually bother me, usually people -- myself included -- are just snapping off quick replies and sometimes the language sounds stronger than intended, but Scott, you've really been pushing the envelope in your sniping. You don't have to agree, and you have lots of message board choices. I'd personally like to see you keep posting regardless of your disagreements with me (it's one thing to disagree, it's another to take rude pot shots at people), as a long time guy, but if you keep taking pot shots at people, myself included, that changes. Your call.

• Like 1

To get this thread back on track: PG is busy doing PG things and many Pacers fans are even more happy about the trade.... Oh wait, I mean Vic had a less than stellar shooting night but finished with 19 in a loss to the Rockets. Eric Gordon also had a rather lackluster shooting night and finished with 10 for the Rockets. 

• Like 1

^^ and OG, though not a significant stat line (2-5 for 5 with 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 steal) is in the regular starting rotation for Raptors, played 20 and finished +3.

Vic's +10 led all players on both teams.

How cool is it to see both of them as the rising, uber athletic, impact 2-way players for their NBA teams? Both under-recruited, both fantastic players for IU, both turning into legit and maybe elite NBA players.

Been meaning to post in this thread about Zeller. Granted, I haven't seen a Hornets game this year, but seems odd to me that last season all the talk was about how efficient Zeller was and how Charlotte was a upper team in the East when he played and awful when he didn't. Then Charlotte goes and gets Dwight Howard who take minutes from Zeller, and while I think they mostly play Kaminsky at the 4, he's also taking some minutes from Zeller, and of course Charlotte is awful. 

In Howard's defense his numbers are good (15 & 12 with a 17 PER), but I'd guess he has changed the dynamic of that team to where it's changed the way they play. I recall last year Zeller being great in the pick and roll with Kemba and really good defensively as well. 

While Zeller certainly doesn't jump off the screen or stat sheet, the analytics loved him last year, but seems he's fallen out of favor a bit in Charlotte. 

Edited by BGleas

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

ESPN NBA Player Rankings

1) James Harden

2) The Greek Freak

3) LeBron James

4) Victor Oladipo

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21659315/nba-player-rankings-underrated-breakout-stars-soaring-week-6

Nice link, thanks.  I think Oladipo is going to make the all star team, I really do.  He tends to get underestimated every step of the way.  

In other words, as much as I liked Vic's uni, how about that jersey Favors is wearing?  Sweet.  I don't know how Hayward could leave that jersey behind lol.

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Been meaning to post in this thread about Zeller. Granted, I haven't seen a Hornets game this year, but seems odd to me that last season all the talk was about how efficient Zeller was and how Charlotte was a upper team in the East when he played and awful when he didn't. Then Charlotte goes and gets Dwight Howard who take minutes from Zeller, and while I think they mostly play Kaminsky at the 4, he's also taking some minutes from Zeller, and of course Charlotte is awful. 

In Howard's defense his numbers are good (15 & 12 with a 17 PER), but I'd guess he has changed the dynamic of that team to where it's changed the way they play. I recall last year Zeller being great in the pick and roll with Kemba and really good defensively as well. 

While Zeller certainly doesn't jump off the screen or stat sheet, the analytics loved him last year, but seems he's fallen out of favor a bit in Charlotte. 

Cody needs to be traded.  Too many more years in Charlotte, and his career will end up being a waste.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Cody needs to be traded.  Too many more years in Charlotte, and his career will end up being a waste.

Agree. You put Cody with the right franchise and the right coach, he could be a really effective player. He's not going to be a star, but he could be a really strong, effective player on a winning team. Obviously everyone looks good in Golden State, but I'd love to see how good Cody could be if you put him in Zaza Pauchulia's spot with the Warriors. Imagine Cody running the court with those guys and running pick and rolls with Durant or Curry. 

But even places like Boston, San Antonio, Toronto, etc., he could be really good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree. You put Cody with the right franchise and the right coach, he could be a really effective player. He's not going to be a star, but he could be a really strong, effective player on a winning team. Obviously everyone looks good in Golden State, but I'd love to see how good Cody could be if you put him in Zaza Pauchulia's spot with the Warriors. Imagine Cody running the court with those guys and running pick and rolls with Durant or Curry. 

But even places like Boston, San Antonio, Toronto, etc., he could be really good.

Hmm, I wonder what made you think of Boston.

:D

• Haha 1