NBA Thread

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

GSW now 6-1 and 31-2 overall without Durant. I'll never subscribe to a theory where you take a great player off a team and they are better. Numbers are very impressive for the other guys.

I subscribe to the theory. He’s a great player but this team plays better without him. Against Toronto though he’s another weapon and defender that may be needed 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

You are.  Checked back to 1990.  Couldn't remember if someone who kicked around the league for several years (like Jeffries) may have snuck on to a Finals roster or no. 

I was wondering about Eric Anderson with the Knicks?

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

GSW now 6-1 and 31-2 overall without Durant. I'll never subscribe to a theory where you take a great player off a team and they are better. Numbers are very impressive for the other guys.

I don't usually subscribe to it, but I do in this case, and it's not really anything negative about Durant, he's a fantastic, almost un-guardable player. It's between him and LeBron for best player in the world. But this Golden State team is different. Their system is unique and they feature maybe the most unique superstar in NBA history in Steph Curry. But, when you throw Durant in the mix they become more like every other team in the NBA, just that their best player is better than almost everyone else, but it's still just the same stuff as everyone else. 

What makes GS so great is not only how they shoot, but the movement they utilize between Curry and Thompson, and the passing/play-making of Green. it's so unique in the current NBA. When you throw Durant in there, the movement slows down considerably and what makes, especially Curry and Green, them so great gets minimized. 

Are they more talented with Durant? Absolutely. Are they better? I'm not so sure. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't usually subscribe to it, but I do in this case, and it's not really anything negative about Durant, he's a fantastic, almost un-guardable player. It's between him and LeBron for best player in the world. But this Golden State team is different. Their system is unique and they feature maybe the most unique superstar in NBA history in Steph Curry. But, when you throw Durant in the mix they become more like every other team in the NBA, just that their best player is better than almost everyone else, but it's still just the same stuff as everyone else. 

What makes GS so great is not only how they shoot, but the movement they utilize between Curry and Thompson, and the passing/play-making of Green. it's so unique in the current NBA. When you throw Durant in there, the movement slows down considerably and what makes, especially Curry and Green, them so great gets minimized. 

Are they more talented with Durant? Absolutely. Are they better? I'm not so sure. 

I’ve given this some thought as the playoffs have progressed, and I think I’ve come to the conclusion that the Warriors are definitely better on offense without Durant, as he just kills their offensive flow and ball movement... But now I’m not sure they’re better overall, because they definitely miss his presence on defense.  He’s really their only rim protector, and he can guard on the perimeter as well.  Siakam never would have gone off like he did in Game 1 if they had Durant.

35 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’ve given this some thought as the playoffs have progressed, and I think I’ve come to the conclusion that the Warriors are definitely better on offense without Durant, as he just kills their offensive flow and ball movement... But now I’m not sure they’re better overall, because they definitely miss his presence on defense.  He’s really their only rim protector, and he can guard on the perimeter as well.  Siakam never would have gone off like he did in Game 1 if they had Durant.

Agree. They’ve lost a lot of length defensively without him.  

They are not better without Durant...they might not move the ball as well because KD plays more iso ball but even so they score more points with Durant then without. They are more efficient with than without. It just might not be as pretty to watch nor fun but they are most definitely better with and a lot better defensively. Also I consider the teams they beat without him....and that was an easy part of their schedule during the regular season and honestly they’ve swept Portland the last 3 years they just don’t matchup against GS well. They wouldn’t beat Lebron the last couple years without him. Against most teams they are enough but there are matchups he is especially needed..and to win this series they will need him. Their margin of victory is twice as much with KD. I love watching the ball movement but in the end GS without KD is great...with him they are virtually unbeatable in series.

Just a general question or comment. Is it possible we underestimate how great Steph Curry is? He seems to never be mentioned in the coveted all time discussions. Admittedly I'm not a daily NBA fan so maybe he is but when people bring up the greatest it's always Jordan, Lebron, Kobe,etc...and rightfully so but it seems we never discuss the greatness of Steph Curry. 

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

They are not better without Durant...they might not move the ball as well because KD plays more iso ball but even so they score more points with Durant then without. They are more efficient with than without. It just might not be as pretty to watch nor fun but they are most definitely better with and a lot better defensively. Also I consider the teams they beat without him....and that was an easy part of their schedule during the regular season and honestly they’ve swept Portland the last 3 years they just don’t matchup against GS well. They wouldn’t beat Lebron the last couple years without him. Against most teams they are enough but there are matchups he is especially needed..and to win this series they will need him. Their margin of victory is twice as much with KD. I love watching the ball movement but in the end GS without KD is great...with him they are virtually unbeatable in series.

They lose considerably more games with Durant and without Curry than with Curry and without Durant. The record there is clear. They’ve also lost more games in the playoffs with him than without. Also clear. That their ball movement slows considerably with him - clear. That Draymond has played much better all around these playoffs and mostly with Durant out is there as well. There is a reason many are drawing this conclusion. All that said as I said above I think they may — may — need him against Toronto. Some of this is matchup driven. 

• Like 2

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Just a general question or comment. Is it possible we underestimate how great Steph Curry is? He seems to never be mentioned in the coveted all time discussions. Admittedly I'm not a daily NBA fan so maybe he is but when people bring up the greatest it's always Jordan, Lebron, Kobe,etc...and rightfully so but it seems we never discuss the greatness of Steph Curry. 

I think it’s a fair question. He is absolutely in the conversation for one of if not the best shooters ever. I’d say he’s now in the conversation for one of - but not the (imo) best point guards. I would not have him as a top 10 player, but top 3 point.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

To piggy back on this, IMO Curry is one of those guys that impacts the game in so many ways that we don't always even really appreciate or see. Looking at the stats, he didn't have a great game in game 2. He even went scoreless in the 4th quarter. But if you watch all the highlights of the many assists that Boogie Cousins had where he hit guys for open layups, almost all of them came because Steph set a back screen for his teammate and the defense was so worried about Steph flaring off the screen for 3, that they left the cutter completely free to cut to the basket. Those layups had so much to do with how defense fear Curry.

Toronto is one of the best defensive teams in the NBA and they just ran a junk Box/1 in the 4th quarter of an NBA Finals game. I personally think Curry is clearly an all-time great and should be in the discussion as one of the best ever. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 2

I know mock drafts are mock drafts for a reason but with a little over two weeks till draft night, I will be more active on this page then usual.  Love my Pacers and IU guys that enter the league. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft/

These three guys have Romeo going to the following: Miami(13), Hornets(12) and Detroit(15).  Seems reasonable to me. 

These three guys have the Pacers going with: Tyler Herro(SG), Rui Hachimura(PF) and Goga Bitadze(C).  I would be fine with Tyler or Rui here.  Tyler fills a need with 3pt shooting and could be a impactful SG off of the bench depending how free agency goes.  Rui really intrigues me, a power forward that plays physical, can score, can rebound and block some shots.  Shot 41% on threes with 36 3pt attempts.  Goga no thanks

Guys I want in a Pacers uni if they are their at pick 18 are the following: Alexander-Walker(SG), Romeo(SG/SF), Rui(PF), Ty Jerome,(SG) Kevin Porter Jr(SG), and PJ Washington(PF)

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Pacers should see if Pelicans would take Edmond Sumner straight up for Davis.  

I mean, you never know until you ask.  Right?

Nah, the deal breaker would be having to throw in Alize Johnson for salary purposes. Not worth it. 

• Like 1

Toronto back in control up 2-1. They had to get this game without Klay in. It will probably be 2-2 headed back, assuming Klay returns (I am). 

Never saw this as a 5 game series for GS. Toronto is very good defensively and has shooters to boot to go with Kawhi. Thought GS would probably still win in 6, but health and depth are always factors. Probably a 7 game series, advantage Toronto right now 

On 6/2/2019 at 11:01 PM, FW_Hoosier said:

He was active tonight, just didn’t play.  Hopefully he’ll be able to get on the court in Game 3.  Who’s the last IU player to play in the NBA Finals?

DNP CD. He's of course not in game game shape and his timing will be off, but will be great if he can get back on the floor at some point in the series, I'm thinking game 5

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Toronto back in control up 2-1. They had to get this game without Klay in. It will probably be 2-2 headed back, assuming Klay returns (I am). 

Never saw this as a 5 game series for GS. Toronto is very good defensively and has shooters to boot to go with Kawhi. Thought GS would probably still win in 6, but health and depth are always factors. Probably a 7 game series, advantage Toronto right now 

Me thinks GS is in trouble.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Me thinks GS is in trouble.

They are. But Klay will likely be back for game 4, on GS's court, they'll likely win it, and it will then likely be tied up 2-2 headed back to Toronto, and maybe we see Durant in game 5 or 6. I tend to think it's going 7, but I think Toronto is the better team right now. Do think missing Durant, in this series / matchup, hurts GS for the lack of another weapon and elite defender.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

They are. But Klay will likely be back for game 4, on GS's court, they'll likely win it, and it will then likely be tied up 2-2 headed back to Toronto, and maybe we see Durant in game 5 or 6. I tend to think it's going 7, but I think Toronto is the better team right now. Do think missing Durant, in this series / matchup, hurts GS for the lack of another weapon and elite defender.

I think the Raps are smelling blood and going to go for the kill in game 4.

Just now, rico said:

I think the Raps are smelling blood and going to go for the kill in game 4.

Not going to lie. I will celebrate if that happens. I'm not a GS hater, but I'm just tired of GS, it's band-wagon fans, its arrogance as a group, having to listen to Draymond.... And seeing Kawhi back on top, as a legitimate top 1-3 player, quiet, just letting his game talk, no arrogance, leading a Toronto team that always was just not good enough to get past the EC finals, about to dethrone GS, priceless.

• Like 1