NBA Thread

I'm mixed on Conley. Celtics have been linked to him as well, though the Celtics are pretty much linked to everybody :). I really like him as a player and would love to have him on my team, but I'm not giving up "star" value for him. He's an aging point guard on a big deal who while certainly one of the better pg's in the NBA, he's never made an all-star team, never been an All-NBA player, though I do realize the backcourt spots in the West have been really competitive during his career.

I think he'd be a fantastic pickup for either the Pacers or the Celtics, a really good, smart, team guy that plays hard and is a leader, and with the right pieces around him you can win big with him as your point guard, but I wouldn't break the bank or mortgage the future to get him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

So we want to trade our one rim protector and still improving 23(!!) year old center for a 32 year old over the hill point guard? Yep sounds like the Pacers....let’s trade Sabonis while we are at it and bring back George Hill too....hope this is rumor is fake as hell.

Turner is a one dimensional player who is soft as a babies bottom.  The only thing he does well is block shots but other than that he is pretty mediocre.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Turner is a one dimensional player who is soft as a babies bottom.  The only thing he does well is block shots but other than that he is pretty mediocre.

He is still just 23! You want to give up on a gifted 23 year old kid for a guy that is on the downside of his career be my guest...not to mention he cost more than half your starting lineup...whatever. Myles PER is even better than Victors...he is a solid 2nd/3rd option on a good deal. On top of that he can play the 4-5 and defend the pick n roll I don’t know why you would want to give that up for a point guard on the downside of his career. This would be Monta Ellis 2.0....except we would have to give up talent and he actually cost more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

He is still just 23! You want to give up on a gifted 23 year old kid for a guy that is on the downside of his career be my guest...not to mention he cost more than half your starting lineup...whatever. Myles PER is even better than Victors...he is a solid 2nd/3rd option on a good deal. On top of that he can play the 4-5 and defend the pick n roll I don’t know why you would want to give that up for a point guard on the downside of his career. This would be Monta Ellis 2.0....except we would have to give up talent and he actually cost more.

Yeah, I don't agree with giving up on Myles Turner at all.  I'm all about trajectory and Turner is definitely on the upslope.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I don't agree with giving up on Myles Turner at all.  I'm all about trajectory and Turner is definitely on the upslope.

I’m not suggesting he is going to be a star or anything but he is a positive piece. You build off that. If I was pushed to go after a pg this offseason I’d go for Deangelo Russell. He can play off the ball when Vic has it as well. Young and a good scoring option to go with Vic. Bring back some other good pieces...East could change up again with Milwaulkie having so many pieces to re-sign...Kawhi might leave...76ers who knows. East might be up for grabs...Pacers should make a move while Vic and this nucleus is together.

• Like 1

Everyone talks about getting rid of a guy a year early, not a year late.  To me, Sabonis and Turner both are still 3-4 years away from that.  The only question is do you want both and can you make your team better by movimg one of them?  

I honestly think Pritchard is too smart and is actually trying to get Boston to over pay for an aging sort of star.   Boston has some serious decisions to make.  Although they are load3d with picks still and hoping Hayward gets back to form after a full year like PG did.  

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

So we want to trade our one rim protector and still improving 23(!!) year old center for a 32 year old over the hill point guard? Yep sounds like the Pacers....let’s trade Sabonis while we are at it and bring back George Hill too....hope this is rumor is fake as hell.

Agree with this all day long. Glad to hear there are others who feel the same. Getting rid of Turner now just doesn't make any sense....but getting rid of him for Conley makes even less sense. Maybe my NBA brain isn't working the right way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me I just can't see Turner and Sabonis starting together so they will have to eventually choose and I would keep Sabonis over Turner.  Except for blocks Sabonis had better numbers in less minutes than what Turner produced.

Sabonis  14.1 points and 9.3 rebounds in 24.8 minutes a game

Turner  13.3 points per game and 7.2 rebounds in 28.6 minutes a game

I just don't want my 7 footer hanging around the 3 point line especially since Turner is not a knock down shooter.  He just has not shown the ability or the willingness to have a good low post game.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For me I just can't see Turner and Sabonis starting together so they will have to eventually choose and I would keep Sabonis over Turner.  Except for blocks Sabonis had better numbers in less minutes than what Turner produced.

Sabonis  14.1 points and 9.3 rebounds in 24.8 minutes a game

Turner  13.3 points per game and 7.2 rebounds in 28.6 minutes a game

I just don't want my 7 footer hanging around the 3 point line especially since Turner is not a knock down shooter.  He just has not shown the ability or the willingness to have a good low post game.

Agree....and just to clarify. I'm not saying trading Turner is a bad idea (I still like him) but I don't want to trade him for Conley. 

• Like 1

I think Turner and Sabonis complement each other perfectly. Sabonis primarily runs with the second team so his numbers are typically going to look better against backups but also we have Turner who can step out and hit jumpers on pick n roll and Sabonis who will battle bigger centers. I don’t think either will break the bank and good bigs are hard to find. Much easier to go out and find a plethora of guards and wings. Going the Conley route who while still very good and a feel good story to bring him back to Indiana it just doesn’t make sense financially nor fit with his age.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Turner and Sabonis complement each other perfectly. Sabonis primarily runs with the second team so his numbers are typically going to look better against backups but also we have Turner who can step out and hit jumpers on pick n roll and Sabonis who will battle bigger centers. I don’t think either will break the bank and good bigs are hard to find. Much easier to go out and find a plethora of guards and wings. Going the Conley route who while still very good and a feel good story to bring him back to Indiana it just doesn’t make sense financially nor fit with his age.

Once Sabonis becomes a free agent he won't stay here if he is not starting and I just don't see those two being able to play big minutes together on the court

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Once Sabonis becomes a free agent he won't stay here if he is not starting and I just don't see those two being able to play big minutes together on the court

You have him for two more years and then he is restricted free agent. So you do what you did with Myles. Offer him a mutual favorable contract to sign early next year. You beat him to free agency. If he stays a back up you can control his worth in free agency. Even if he breaks out he is restricted so you can match. Pacers can keep both if they choose. Myles is on a good deal...even if Sabonis gets a max we could still keep both but at that time you could still trade Myles if he isn’t cutting it. No reason to get rid of either. We have cash for both.

Edited by dgambill

Really fun Game 6 so far. Good pace and guys hitting high level shots. Turnovers have been. Little sloppy for GS, but looks like it will be a great second half. Probably coming down to the “others” for each team hitting shots, and who between Leonard or Curry can get going. Both Thompson and Lowry had fantastic first halves. 

• Like 1