NBA Thread

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know everyone is sick of GS but I love Klay Thompson...just sad they can’t catch a break. Had he not missed game 3 they might be playing for a championship tonight.  Hate to see it end like this.

Same! Klay is awesome.

I really want to see a Game 7 of this. 

• Like 1

Obviously would’ve been a much different series without the injuries, but no one should be feeling too bad for Golden State.  Their dynasty started with injuries to Kyrie and Love, and it may be ending with injuries to KD and Klay.  Nature of the game.  Really entertaining series, always cool to see a franchise win its first ‘ship.

Edited by FW_Hoosier

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

What a gamble the Raptors owner made on getting Kawhi, and in one season they win the NC with him. 

Rare air.  Not too many guys could have been traded places with Kawhi and pulled this off.  

Jordan, Kobe, a healthy full steam LeBron.  Maybe a fully healthy Durant.  

Probably many more but that was a historic run in its own right. 

Kudos to Raptors and owners for making a move to get Kawhi and having it payoff. Wish the Pacers would to the same one of these years.

Every time I see VanVleet play I'm always amazed. Here's a kid from Rockford, Illinois. Literally hours from Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and others and zero scholarship offers. Wichita St and I think Colorado St were the only 2 schools to offer. I understand why we didn't (Yogi) but to get zero looks from Big 10?

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Congrats to the raptors...that was a good team win. I hate injuries playing a part in it but then again who knows what the Pacers do if Dipo wasn’t hurt. It’s part of the game...just hate to see it ruin a great ball game.

Yep. Warriors beat Spurs once when Kawhi was out. Warriors beat Cleveland without Kyrie and Kevin Love. Injuries part of the deal. We all hate them but they happen.

Predictions anyone?

KD opts out and extends for 5 year max with GS(becomes a business decision over pride with that injury).  He turns 31 in September.  A full year to return healthy.  Klay would then be too expensive to keep.  Klay joins LeBron in LA.  Khawhi to Clips, because he's weird.  

https://warriorswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/20/golden-state-warriors-salary-klay-thompson-kevin-durant/

there's just no way to sign both with the repeater tax penalty.  

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Predictions anyone?

KD opts out and extends for 5 year max with GS(becomes a business decision over pride with that injury).  He turns 31 in September.  A full year to return healthy.  Klay would then be too expensive to keep.  Klay joins LeBron in LA.  Khawhi to Clips, because he's weird.  

https://warriorswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/20/golden-state-warriors-salary-klay-thompson-kevin-durant/

there's just no way to sign both with the repeater tax penalty.  

I don't know the cap implications on what I'm about to say, but my guess is GS signs Klay to a max, long-term contract, and KD does another short-term 1+1 deal with GS while he rehabs and then re-evaluates next offseason based on how his rehab is going. 

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know the cap implications on what I'm about to say, but my guess is GS signs Klay to a max, long-term contract, and KD does another short-term 1+1 deal with GS while he rehabs and then re-evaluates next offseason based on how his rehab is going. 

That article I quoted shows if Klay and KD both take a max deal they're going to be $180 million over the salary cap with the repeater tax.  I think for that reason Durant is going to have to take a max deal. It's going to be about the business at that point.  The thing is is if Durant can opt in for one year I don't see him doing that because it's too big of a risk if he never comes back the same he won't get another Max. I think he has to take the max this year from somebody, so he's going to opt out of this last year with golden state.  it'll be really interesting to see if golden state offers him the max or just goes all in on Clay alone and essentially let's Durant go to the next or whoever else will offer him a Max.

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That article I quoted shows if Klay and KD both take a max deal they're going to be $180 million over the salary cap with the repeater tax.  I think for that reason Durant is going to have to take a max deal. It's going to be about the business at that point.  The thing is is if Durant can opt in for one year I don't see him doing that because it's too big of a risk if he never comes back the same he won't get another Max. I think he has to take the max this year from somebody, so he's going to opt out of this last year with golden state.  it'll be really interesting to see if golden state offers him the max or just goes all in on Clay alone and essentially let's Durant go to the next or whoever else will offer him a Max.

I don't think guys like Durant operate with the 'what if I'm not the same' mentality. I think if he signs a max (5 year) deal it will be with another team that just doesn't care about the injury and is willing to lose a year on the contract, seems unlikely, but it's possible for someone like the Knicks.  

I don't see him signing a 5-year deal with GS, if it's with GS I think he'll repeat what he's done with GS already, sign short-term 1+1 deals while he rehabs and maybe even plays a season with GS in two years to prove he's back, before then signing one last max, long-term deal somewhere else either in the 2020 offseason or the 2021 offseason. 

I don't see Durant signing a long-term, 5-year deal with GS this summer. 

Golden State was decimated with injuries, but have to give Toronto credit.  Kawhi was exceptional.  But, really, GS was not equipped to handle the Raptor tenacity on D.  That was a great defensive performance.

There is also a rising argument that the East has blown by the West.  Toronto, Milwaukee, Philly and Boston is a better grouping than any four from the West when you look at Portland, Denver, Houston etc.  Milwaukee looked great until they couldn't adjust to Toronto's defense.  Philly and Boston have very strong rosters.  Having watched the playoffs, Houston looks fatally flawed, Denver and Portland are fine but lacking.  Watching them play, I was startled by how pedestrian they were in comparison to the East battles.  GS deserves credit but the rest of the West was off.  

Now the offseason may change some balance. LeBron may become a factor again, but a one year vacation from him was fine with me (and I like him).  Regardless, I see the East on an upswing and the West in decline.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Fact: A John Calipari UK player has never won an NBA championship.  As of yesterday, a Tom Crean IU player has. 

I hope Crean negative recruits against Calipari with that.  I'd follow it with "even his own son doesn't want to play for him."

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't think guys like Durant operate with the 'what if I'm not the same' mentality. I think if he signs a max (5 year) deal it will be with another team that just doesn't care about the injury and is willing to lose a year on the contract, seems unlikely, but it's possible for someone like the Knicks.  

I don't see him signing a 5-year deal with GS, if it's with GS I think he'll repeat what he's done with GS already, sign short-term 1+1 deals while he rehabs and maybe even plays a season with GS in two years to prove he's back, before then signing one last max, long-term deal somewhere else either in the 2020 offseason or the 2021 offseason. 

I don't see Durant signing a long-term, 5-year deal with GS this summer. 

It looks like Durant can only sign a 4 year with other teams and 5 with GS.  " a four year max worth about $164 million. The Warriors, though, are the only team that can give KD the five-year max worth an estimated $221 million."  

I get what you are saying and these elite guys think highly of themselves.  He has a close up look and relationship now with Cousins who has and is going through the rehab process.  Here's a historical perspective of 9 players that went through this.  Dominique was so special, we forget.  https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/11/kevin-durant-achilles-injury-news-recovery-history

A lot of talking heads are saying, re-up on this one year deal where you are familiar, show you are back, make one more run with the boys, then go get your final 4. 

Love this time of year.  

Really wish the Pacers could add two pieces that could make them like a Detroit team that made a run.  Just feel like no matter what they do they will wind up short.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

A lot of talking heads are saying, re-up on this one year deal where you are familiar, show you are back, make one more run with the boys, then go get your final 4. 

Love this time of year.  

Really wish the Pacers could add two pieces that could make them like a Detroit team that made a run.  Just feel like no matter what they do they will wind up short.  

That's what I see happening. I think the only thing that would really shock me would be if he signed a 5-year long-term deal with GS. I don't see that happening. 

The VO injury really jacked up the Pacers. I'd see them as a team, ala Toronto last offseason, too sort of come out of nowhere and take a gamble, even if that isn't typically like them, but with VO a question mark it's a lot more risky. 

I can't wait to see what the Celtics do too. Are they seriously making a run at AD? Looks like Kyrie is walking. Do they retool around Tatum and Brown, along with Horford and Hayward? Regardless of AD or not, they're definitely not keeping all three first rounders, so there will be some sort of deal they make. Crazy, crazy offseason.