NBA Thread

^^ I want to see if Kawhi stays, or leaves after winning a title, for LA. Is he really that big on going back to LA/Cali, that he'd join the Clippers after winning a NC in Toronto, a team that has lots of life left and a budding star in Siakim? 

There's a bunch of interesting off-season potential moves coming, but I kind of think the air got somewhat taken out of that balloon with the injuries to KD and Klay, I'd bet on both staying with GS for next season, and would be on GS paying Klay for a longer deal.

Kind of an interesting one, where does Boogie go? He thought he had that championship with GS.... 

Are the Rockets getting completely blown up? Who (in their right mind) will take on CPIII's contract? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ I want to see if Kawhi stays, or leaves after winning a title, for LA. Is he really that big on going back to LA/Cali, that he'd join the Clippers after winning a NC in Toronto, a team that has lots of life left and a budding star in Siakim? 

There's a bunch of interesting off-season potential moves coming, but I kind of think the air got somewhat taken out of that balloon with the injuries to KD and Klay, I'd bet on both staying with GS for next season, and would be on GS paying Klay for a longer deal.

Kind of an interesting one, where does Boogie go? He thought he had that championship with GS.... 

Are the Rockets getting completely blown up? Who (in their right mind) will take on CPIII's contract? 

The Kawhi thing is so crazy. I have to think that he looks at a short-term 1+1 deal with Toronto as well, though the gamble there for him is what if the LA teams no longer have cap space when he's back up for a long-term deal. He could miss his LA window entirely, though I'm sure sign+trades could be worked out in a year or two. 

What do the Celtics do? What do the Rockets do? What do the Knicks do now that it looks like Kyrie to Brooklyn and KD out for an entire year? Where does AD end up? If it's the Lakers (which I hope not), it's pretty clean/simple, but if it's Boston of some other team, then what do the Lakers do? They can't hold the cap space and waste another year of LeBron, they'll have to go out and get a Jimmy Butler or someone like that, which would mean no AD next summer. 

The KD and Klay injuries definitely took some of the sizzle away, but still a ton of fascinating storylines over the next few weeks. 

With Lowery aging, i don't think it was that huge of a gamble for the Raptors to trade for Kawhi.  Gasol too.  they were not going to get it done with the lowery/Derozan pair. I really like toronto and GS for that matter. Green is annoying but he is all about winning.  While they will likely come back to earth dynasty wise, they will still be competing for titles.  I almost expect next year may be a year off and tank to rebuild some while KD/Klay rehab if they keep the cast together. 

That's a really tough decision.  Just the decision to keep vs lose KD while maxing Klay was like 200-300 mil in salary per yr over the next 4 when you factor in  luxury taxes.  How can GS even justify that but windhorst claims they offer both 5 year max deals.  Guess the new arena is pay off for them.  

Warriors With Durant

SEASON SALARY TAX TOTAL
2019-20 $176.2M $203.5M $379.7M
2020-21 $180.2M $169.8M $350.0M
2021-22 $196.2M $231.6M $427.8M
2022-23 $203.2M $229.0M $432.0M
Total     $1.59B

Warriors Without Durant

SEASON SALARY TAX TOTAL
2019-20 $139.7M $19.8M $159.5M
2020-21 $140.7M N/A $140.7M
2021-22 $153.7M $14.3M $168.0M
2022-23 $155.5M $5.7 $161.2M
Total     $629.4M

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Fixed it for you 

I had a suspicion that was the case, but didn't have time to look up his Memphis and UMass players. Camby was one of those players that kept hanging around the league and may have picked up a ring on the end of someone's bench.

As a Celtics fan, I don’t have a huge problem with how the ultimately shook out, at least not now. No way Ainge could include Tatum knowing that Kyrie was walking and Davis would never resign in Boston. This wasn’t the same as Toronto gambling on Kawhi. Kawhi, while always indicating he wanted to play in LA, never went on a public media campaign saying he’d never resign in Toronto. 

My only issues with how this all played out is that Klutch (Rich Paul) and LeBron basically orchestrated this entire thing, leaking bad info about Boston to the media, etc., to basically take Boston out of it, and the other issue being (this is for you IUScott) that the Lakers can basically be the worst run organization in the NBA and it doesn’t really matter.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Who will the Lakers surround AD and LeBron with? Will AD stay healthy? Where is LeBron’s game at with now being 35 and in his 17th season? What happens now with Boston and all their picks, Houston, Brooklyn, Knicks, Kawhi, etc.?

Edited by BGleas

Pelicans did pretty well all things considered with Davis certainly leaving.  They get Ball to go with Jrue. They'll draft Zion...to go along with Ingram. Will be curious to see if they trade the 4th for a Veteran to pair with others. The 2021 pick to me is worthless because Lakers won't be that bad. They get 2022 and can swap picks in 2023...assuming the 2023 could be valuable because Lakers are setup to win over next 2-3 seasons after that they could tank thus making their pick potentially a lottery pick. 

NBA is breathing a sigh of relief this morning. Lakers are least marketable now for next year. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Who will the Lakers surround AD and LeBron with? Will AD stay healthy? Where is LeBron’s game at with now being 35 and in his 17th season? What happens now with Boston and all their picks, Houston, Brooklyn, Knicks, Kawhi, etc.?

What will ultimately happen is some team will sign a horrible max contract like Charlotte to super max their guy, i cant even think of his name, kemba, there it is.  Or cp's contract in houston.  Those are how you take 1 step forward 3 steps back.   I think the pacers manage to take 1 small step forward, just don't know how yet.  

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Pelicans did pretty well all things considered with Davis certainly leaving.  They get Ball to go with Jrue. They'll draft Zion...to go along with Ingram. Will be curious to see if they trade the 4th for a Veteran to pair with others. The 2021 pick to me is worthless because Lakers won't be that bad. They get 2022 and can swap picks in 2023...assuming the 2023 could be valuable because Lakers are setup to win over next 2-3 seasons after that they could tank thus making their pick potentially a lottery pick. 

Could Ball and Jrue be redundant?  Could they be interested in trading for Turner?  I would be.  

Say LeBron or Davis gets injured, they would shut the other one down too and that pick becomes a top 3 real quick.  They are going to limit Lebrons minutes as is, so they will likely be a 6-8 seed.  Granted they could get kemba, butler, Tobias, or another high quality player, so we will see.  

Lakers - Second worst run organization, behind the perennially, fantastically poorly run organization - the Knicks!

Lakers now trying to get Butler. That will be interesting. A former GM a couple days ago said Butler will return to Philly, but the NBA trade world is now 24-7.

So now the Lakers have best odds for a title (of course Vegas completely screwed the pooch last year predicting LeBron’s Lakers, we’ll see how the latest new overnight build works 

Lakers only have a little over 24 million to spend. They can’t go over the cap to sign new players. They can’t afford another max player like Butler etc who would be over 30 million. The only trade piece would be Kuzma who they like to keep especially since he is on a rookie contract. Lakers would be better off giving out 1 year contracts and splitting that salary up for shooters to put around Lebron. They are incredibly thin so they need to fill out a roster. Signing one big name guy would leave them nothing to build with. If they want to sign a star they are better off trying next offseason when they have more flexibility.