NBA Thread

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

May be more of a realistic indication of where Vic is.  Hold the horses and go all in when he's 100% in 20-21

Perhaps...but more likely status quo affords them to be good enough to put butts in the seats but no risk of fielding a championship competitor. They had an opportunity with Vic out last year to move valuable pieces whose contracts were expiring to acquire draft capital or a young player from playoff teams that need help now but they decided to go after a mid seed to ensure they kept their seats full and get some playoff money. So instead of going after a lottery pick and who knows maybe ending up with a top 5 pick and moving guys like Bogs, Young, and Collison to give guys like Holiday and Leaf and company more time to play and get some more capital they went for the money knowing full well without Vic they had no shot. So yes...status quo...just do enough to compete but take no chances to try to be special. Here’s hoping Pritchard can convience Simon’s to take some chances.

Ricky Rubio will be a top free agent signing for the Pacers, also the Pacers are looking to move into the lottery in Thursday's draft  according to Kevin O'Conner(The Ringer) specifically the #4 selection in the lottery. 

I know a lot of information could be false but interesting that the Pacers are now being mentioned wanting to get into the lottery

Edited by dwtaylor1055

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Ricky Rubio will be a top free agent signing for the Pacers, also the Pacers are looking to move into the lottery in Thursday's draft  according to Kevin O'Conner(The Ringer) specifically the #4 selection in the lottery. 

I know a lot of information could be false but interesting that the Pacers are now being mentioned wanting to get into the lottery

No thank you with Ricky Rubio and I really wouldn't move a lot for the 4th pick in this draft.  to me after the top 3 picks there is not much of a difference between 4 and 18

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No thank you with Ricky Rubio and I really wouldn't move a lot for the 4th pick in this draft.  to me after the top 3 picks there is not much of a difference between 4 and 18

According to the article(TheRinger.com) Rubio provides a significant defensive and playmaking upgrade to better complement Oladipo's score-first style.  I would partially agree with this statement.  I think Rubio is a better playmaker than Collison or Joseph however not sure about the defense(would need to rely on defensive ratings for this determination). 

As far as the 4th pick, I think everyone between 4 and 10 are tier 2 then 11 through 20 will be tier 3.  Again this all could be smoke BUT I honestly do not see Turner and Sabonis together long term here, especially since both are natural centers.  Both are too big to guard smaller power forwards.  Also I cannot envision paying your starting center $18 mil per year and giving Sabonis a pay raise to about $15 mil per year. 

27 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

According to the article(TheRinger.com) Rubio provides a significant defensive and playmaking upgrade to better complement Oladipo's score-first style.  I would partially agree with this statement.  I think Rubio is a better playmaker than Collison or Joseph however not sure about the defense(would need to rely on defensive ratings for this determination). 

As far as the 4th pick, I think everyone between 4 and 10 are tier 2 then 11 through 20 will be tier 3.  Again this all could be smoke BUT I honestly do not see Turner and Sabonis together long term here, especially since both are natural centers.  Both are too big to guard smaller power forwards.  Also I cannot envision paying your starting center $18 mil per year and giving Sabonis a pay raise to about $15 mil per year. 

I don't mind trading Turner but I don't see anyone at 4 that would be an upgrade over him.  I would use Turner as a trade chip to get an established player.

Chris Paul demanding a trade. PS...He's scheduled to make $38M next year and I believe $41M the next 2 seasons. He's 34 year old point guard. What planet does this guy live on? 

Chris Paul is one of those guys who who always seemed to have a good guy reputation but maybe Dakich has been right all these years. Has called him a total fraud for years. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Chris Paul demanding a trade. PS...He's scheduled to make $38M next year and I believe $41M the next 2 seasons. He's 34 year old point guard. What planet does this guy live on? 

Chris Paul is one of those guys who who always seemed to have a good guy reputation but maybe Dakich has been right all these years. Has called him a total fraud for years. 

CPIII and Harden are having issues. This is undoubtedly related. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

CPIII and Harden are having issues. This is undoubtedly related. 

Yep. I thought everyone knew that part. It's been brewing. Maybe Rajon Rondo wasn't that far off in his assessment of Paul last October? Basically said he's not the guy everyone thinks.

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. I thought everyone knew that part. It's been brewing. Maybe Rajon Rondo wasn't that far off in his assessment of Paul last October? Basically said he's not the guy everyone thinks.

Yeah, no idea. Something coming from Rondo -- of all people -- who knows. Rondo of course has been the poster child for locker room cancer, etc., over the years, though he's apparently largely turned that around. CPIII is also the guy who led the raid and tried to break into Clippers' locker room a couple seasons' ago. That reflected on him pretty poorly, this does too, but then Harden is very much about himself, so again, no idea.

41 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Horford apparently to decline his option and leave the Celtics 

Declining the option was not a surprise. But, everyone assumed it was because he and the Celtics were going to renegotiate, so Al not signing with the Celtics is definitely a surprise. Hearing reports that Al wanted 5 years and Celtics wanted 3. 

Does not look good for the Celtics right now, but I’m going to hold onto ‘In Danny we trust’, as the Celtics still have a lot of good young players, strong draft assets, and if Kyrie and Al leave they have cap space. So hopefully Danny has something up his sleeve. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Declining the option was not a surprise. But, everyone assumed it was because he and the Celtics were going to renegotiate, so Al not signing with the Celtics is definitely a surprise. Hearing reports that Al wanted 5 years and Celtics wanted 3. 

Does not look good for the Celtics right now, but I’m going to hold onto ‘In Danny we trust’, as the Celtics still have a lot of good young players, strong draft assets, and if Kyrie and Al leave they have cap space. So hopefully Danny has something up his sleeve. 

I trust Danny’s drafting....almost impeccable...his aquisitions of Kyrie and Heyward lm not so sure about. I can feel him getting desperate seeing Raptors, Bucks, and Sixers all leap frog him and Brooklyn isn’t far behind. He has all these assets but they just don’t fit right.

At one time there were some rumors the Spurs were interested in Bogdonovic and wanting to trade Derozan. Not sure how to make the money work...we’d have to do a sign and trade but Derozan makes 27 mill a year....but he would be a certain upgrade. Not sure I’d want the 4th pick...seems to be a drop off outside the top 3.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

It surprised me. Horford has been so good for the C’s and is at his worst a rock solid team player. C’s are addressing change after a disappointing year but you know they’ll end up fine, too well run under a Ainge not to.

I thought the Celtics were better and a more fun watch in 2018 than they were in 2019.  The chemistry was better and the pieces meshed.  Stevens’ moves led to winning team ball.  Players like Tatum and Brown were better because they weren’t hesitant since they did not need to defer to Kyrie.  Kyrie sucks out a lot of that advantage.  

Horford is obviously an excellent team player but 5 years at 150 million is too much at his age.  I don’t blame Boston for balking at that.  You’d have a chance of having cap problems down the line when Tatum and Brown come due.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Horford is obviously an excellent team player but 5 years at 150 million is too much at his age.  I don’t blame Boston for balking at that.  You’d have a chance of having cap problems down the line when Tatum and Brown come due.  

Dan Patrick just said he's going to get 3 years 100 million somewhere and Harrison Barnes is goimg to get near max, he scored 11 points a game.  

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

I trust Danny’s drafting....almost impeccable...his aquisitions of Kyrie and Heyward lm not so sure about. I can feel him getting desperate seeing Raptors, Bucks, and Sixers all leap frog him and Brooklyn isn’t far behind. He has all these assets but they just don’t fit right.

I actually think it's the other way around. The Hayward signing was a good signing, there was no way to know that his leg was going to snap in half 5 minutes into his Celtics career, that's not on Ainge. Hayward was playing the best basketball of his career when they signed him. The Kyrie deal was a good gamble as well. He traded a broken Isiah Thomas for a perennial all-star. It was a gamble because of Kyrie's history, but a good gamble IMO.

The drafting is where Ainge is a little hit/miss. He's definitely had some winners with Al Jefferson and Tony Allen at 15 and 25 in 2004, the Rondo pick, Avery Bradley at 19 in 2010, Terry Rozier at 16 in 2015 and of course the Tatum swap which was brilliant. But he's had a lot of duds in the draft too. He picked Kelly Olynyck ahead of the Greek Freak. James Young at 17, Fab Melo at 22, Jared Sullinger, JR Giddens, etc. A lot of those were first round picks in the 20's+ so you can't really blame him, but he's passed on some guys that ended up all-stars in some of those situations. 

Edit: Should give Ainge credit for the Jaylen Brown pick too. Many were down on Brown heading into that draft and thought Ainge was making a bad pick with him at #3. Most thought he should have picked Josh Jackson, who Phoenix took at #4 and is already trying to shop. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Dan Patrick just said he's going to get 3 years 100 million somewhere and Harrison Barnes is goimg to get near max, he scored 11 points a game.  

If I'm the Clippers and I know I'm getting Kawhi, I would absolutely give Horford that money. I know he only averaged 13-14ppg, but what he does defensively, shooting and playmaking-wise is all-star caliber for a center. He's a really valuable player. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ I like Horford but that's crazy money for him. Doubt that happens. 

And Ainge got it right on Olynyk over Greek Freak. :D

It is a lot of money for him. I was never a big Horford fan when he was in ATL, I thought he was kind of 'meh' for what he was getting paid, but watching him closely the last 4 years in Boston, I have a real appreciate for him, and I'd would definitely throw him that money if my team was setup to make a title run. He does so many things at a high level that don't show up in the box score. He's a big who plays great D, shoots the 3 and averages just about 5 assists per game.  

• Like 2