NBA Thread

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

June 18 updates

lal.png&w=110&h=11011:35 p.m. ET: The Los Angeles Lakers are scrambling to reshape the parameters of the Anthony Davis trade with New Orleans and create the capacity for $32 million-plus in salary-cap space when the free-agent moratorium ends on July 6, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The Lakers were engaging additional teams on Tuesday to take on the contracts of three of the remaining four players on the team's roster -- Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga and Jemerrio Jones -- league sources said. Kyle Kuzma and LeBron James are the only other two Lakers remaining on the team's end-of-season roster.

Raise your hand if you knew the name "Isaac Bonga" before reading this thread. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

June 18 updates

lal.png&w=110&h=11011:35 p.m. ET: The Los Angeles Lakers are scrambling to reshape the parameters of the Anthony Davis trade with New Orleans and create the capacity for $32 million-plus in salary-cap space when the free-agent moratorium ends on July 6, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The Lakers were engaging additional teams on Tuesday to take on the contracts of three of the remaining four players on the team's roster -- Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga and Jemerrio Jones -- league sources said. Kyle Kuzma and LeBron James are the only other two Lakers remaining on the team's end-of-season roster.

Well I would not want any of them and none of them could make that much money.  I would not go out of my way to help the Lakers so they can build a super team.

• Like 1

So help me get this right.  If the Lakers clear the space they can sign a max.  Then they can go over the luxury to fill out the roster?   Is that correct?  You just can't go over the cap to get a max.   You must have the space available before July 6.  No clue why anyone would help them. So dumb if anyone does.  As constructed Lakers are 1 injury away from resting the other guy and being so horrible tickets will be free the rest of the season.  Don't help them.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

So help me get this right.  If the Lakers clear the space they can sign a max.  Then they can go over the luxury to fill out the roster?   Is that correct?  You just can't go over the cap to get a max.   You must have the space available before July 6.  No clue why anyone would help them. So dumb if anyone does.  As constructed Lakers are 1 injury away from resting the other guy and being so horrible tickets will be free the rest of the season.  Don't help them.  

We were discussing a bit earlier and my understanding is there's a reason Kawhi hasn't signed his deal. He can be absorbed into the Lakers deal without cap expectations? Not sure. Seems like there's plenty of ways to manipulate this thing but the biggest point still remains. What do the Lakers have to offer to Raptors in order for this to work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

We were discussing a bit earlier and my understanding is there's a reason Kawhi hasn't signed his deal. He can be absorbed into the Lakers deal without cap expectations? Not sure. Seems like there's plenty of ways to manipulate this thing but the biggest point still remains. What do the Lakers have to offer to Raptors in order for this to work?

Nope.  Lakers brass too stupid to understand how the salary cap works.

56 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I laughed, but no way that’s right 

Lol, you think I’m joking, but I’m really not.  Griffin played Pelinka, and unless there’s something I’m missing, they’re not going to be able to clear enough cap space to sign another max free agent.  I don’t even know which second tier FAs they’re going to be able to get.

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why is no one talking about this?  6'8" wing that shot 43% from three.  Owed 3 years 35 mil.  Thad or Bojan has to be out.   This guy could be a steal.  Only 25 years old.  

25 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why did Boston do this?  Milwaukee pick will be around 28-30 next year and gave up Baynes for nothing.  @BGleas

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/06/20/celtics-trade-aron-baynes-to-phoenix-as-part-of-draft-night-trade/

Cap space and Boston now may have 3 first rounders next year. Haynes was injured a lot this year, they were already shopping him, and the pick they traded for is a protected lottery pick 

The Goga pick was shocking to me especially with others holes that needed filled. After watching Kevin Pritchard give a press conference yesterday evening after the draft, they expect Goga to be ready to play rotational minutes off the bench from the start(obviously he has to earn and practice hard day in/day out) as the backup center(very similar traits to Myles). Kevin also stated Domas and Myles can both play the 4 spot and obviously the 5 spot, so after hearing all of this info, the pick makes more and more sense. Add in TJ Warren that can defend the 3 and 4 spot and shot the 3 ball at a high level(42% during this past year).

Time to turn the FA focus on adding a PG, resigning Bojan and adding a true SG to fill in while Vic is out and once Vic returns slide to the backup SG.

My guess is we sign Rubio(will be used a stop gap until Holiday is ready to start which I would say Holiday is our starting PG for the 2020-2021 season and Rubio slides to a bench role or we only sign Rubio to a 1 year deal which Pritchard loves him some 1 year deals), we resign Bojan and we sign a respectable SG capable of shooting the 3 ball(Terrance Ross anyone?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?). So if this all holds true, a depth chart might look like this:

PG- Rubio(FA)/Holiday
SG- Vic/Ross(FA)/Sumner
SF- Bojan(Resign)/McDerrmott)/Alize
PF- Warren/Sabonis/Leaf
C- Turner/Goga

***Only reason I have Sabonis as backup PF is by starting Warren you have Rubio(not a great or good shooter) surrounded with 4 respectable 3 pt shooters and did I mention Rubio is a good passer and respectable defender. When Sabonis subs in for Warren, Turner slides to the 4 spot with Sabonis playing the 5 like we saw some this past season.

*** I am not a big fan of Rubio, however he IS a better passer and defender than Collison and if you can space a guy like Rubio with shooters Rubio will put the ball where it needs to be on a consistent basis.  Cory Joseph is NOT a starting pg in the NBA so I am not going to go into comparison with Rubio and Cory

31 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Cap space and Boston now may have 3 first rounders next year. Haynes was injured a lot this year, they were already shopping him, and the pick they traded for is a protected lottery pick 

So it will only convey if it's a lottery?   It won't be a lottery for as long as Giannis is around and healthy.  

10 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

The Goga pick was shocking to me especially with others holes that needed filled. After watching Kevin Pritchard give a press conference yesterday evening after the draft, they expect Goga to be ready to play rotational minutes off the bench from the start(obviously he has to earn and practice hard day in/day out) as the backup center(very similar traits to Myles). Kevin also stated Domas and Myles can both play the 4 spot and obviously the 5 spot, so after hearing all of this info, the pick makes more and more sense. Add in TJ Warren that can defend the 3 and 4 spot and shot the 3 ball at a high level(42% during this past year).

Time to turn the FA focus on adding a PG, resigning Bojan and adding a true SG to fill in while Vic is out and once Vic returns slide to the backup SG.

My guess is we sign Rubio(will be used a stop gap until Holiday is ready to start which I would say Holiday is our starting PG for the 2020-2021 season and Rubio slides to a bench role or we only sign Rubio to a 1 year deal which Pritchard loves him some 1 year deals), we resign Bojan and we sign a respectable SG capable of shooting the 3 ball(Terrance Ross anyone?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?). So if this all holds true, a depth chart might look like this:

PG- Rubio(FA)/Holiday
SG- Vic/Ross(FA)/Sumner
SF- Bojan(Resign)/McDerrmott)/Alize
PF- Warren/Sabonis/Leaf
C- Turner/Goga

***Only reason I have Sabonis as backup PF is by starting Warren you have Rubio(not a great or good shooter) surrounded with 4 respectable 3 pt shooters and did I mention Rubio is a good passer and respectable defender. When Sabonis subs in for Warren, Turner slides to the 4 spot with Sabonis playing the 5 like we saw some this past season.

*** I am not a big fan of Rubio, however he IS a better passer and defender than Collison and if you can space a guy like Rubio with shooters Rubio will put the ball where it needs to be on a consistent basis.  Cory Joseph is NOT a starting pg in the NBA so I am not going to go into comparison with Rubio and Cory

I think the trade for Warren is a good sign that Bojan will not be back because both are a SF.  I see Bojan getting 18-20 Mil and that will be to steep for the Pacers because like you say we have a lot of holes to feel.  With VO not being back until Jan. we will need a 2G to start for two months so that will cost some plus a new PG will as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why did Boston do this?  Milwaukee pick will be around 28-30 next year and gave up Baynes for nothing.  @BGleas

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/06/20/celtics-trade-aron-baynes-to-phoenix-as-part-of-draft-night-trade/

What HH said. The Celtics are clearing cap space. I think Ainge is resigned to the fact that Kyrie and Horford are gone, so he's resetting the deck to clear room to add young, attractive free agents that are more in the age wheelhouse of Tatum and Brown. He's definitely go something up his sleeve for free agency. Could be a big splash out of left field, or could be as simple as adding two guys like Russell and Julius Randle. 

As far as the pick, Ainge didn't want to add 3 first rounders to next years team so was always looking to move the pick. Yes, it will most likely be a late first round pick coming from Milwaukee, but Boston will have their own pick next year, Memphis' pick (top 6 protected) and this pick from Milwaukee. It's really just a game of checkers, they'll probably end up trading the Milwaukee pick at some point anyways. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the trade for Warren is a good sign that Bojan will not be back because both are a SF.  I see Bojan getting 18-20 Mil and that will be to steep for the Pacers because like you say we have a lot of holes to feel.  With VO not being back until Jan. we will need a 2G to start for two months so that will cost some plus a new PG will as well.

I could see Thad being the one that is gone but who knows.  The need is scoring.  Warren and Bojan would stretch the heck out of a defense, with one of them guarding the other teams 4.