NBA Thread

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I could see Thad being the one that is gone but who knows.  The need is scoring.  Warren and Bojan would stretch the heck out of a defense, with one of them guarding the other teams 4.  

IMO Thad is all but gone unless some crazy trades occur once FA starts.  If Thad was brought back, HUGE logjam at the 4 and 5 spot especially with Sabonis all but guaranteed to get more minutes as Pritchard has alluded to. 

PF-Thad/Sabonis/Leaf

C- Turner/Goga

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the trade for Warren is a good sign that Bojan will not be back because both are a SF.  I see Bojan getting 18-20 Mil and that will be to steep for the Pacers because like you say we have a lot of holes to feel.  With VO not being back until Jan. we will need a 2G to start for two months so that will cost some plus a new PG will as well.

Warren can play SF and PF(stretch 4), Bojan primarily at the 3.  Warren played both positions in Phoenix.  I think Bojan takes a slight discount to return to Indy.  Wojo and Bobby Marks have stated they think Bojan could command between $18 to $20 mil, which is why I think we could get him for $16 or $17 mil with some sort of discount. 

Edited by dwtaylor1055

24 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

@BGleas. Aren't the Celts extremely small right now? 

For now, yes, definitely small. Robert Williams, the Celtics 1st round pick last year who fell to 27 because of some concerns but has lottery talent, played well and showed promise in limited minutes. After that it's pretty thin. The Celtics have been linked to Vuciveic (sp?) from Orlando who is a free agent and was an all-star last year. I think he'll probably stay in Orlando but it's a possibility. Not sure how I'd feel about giving him a 4-year deal though, he's a fringe all-star. 

40 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

IMO Thad is all but gone unless some crazy trades occur once FA starts.  If Thad was brought back, HUGE logjam at the 4 and 5 spot especially with Sabonis all but guaranteed to get more minutes as Pritchard has alluded to. 

PF-Thad/Sabonis/Leaf

C- Turner/Goga

Warren can play SF and PF(stretch 4), Bojan primarily at the 3.  Warren played both positions in Phoenix.  I think Bojan takes a slight discount to return to Indy.  Wojo and Bobby Marks have stated they think Bojan could command between $18 to $20 mil, which is why I think we could get him for $16 or $17 mil with some sort of discount. 

I am hoping the Pacers try to make more of a splash than just signing Rubio and bring back Bojan.  If Russell becomes available I would like to see the Pacers sign him and have a backcourt of Russell and VO.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am hoping the Pacers try to make more of a splash than just signing Rubio and bring back Bojan.  If Russell becomes available I would like to see the Pacers sign him and have a backcourt of Russell and VO.

I would very much like to add Russell.  I think getting Russell would be GREAT and add a SG in addition to Russell!  This below would be a top 4 team in the east IMO for sure.

Option A:

PG - Russell/Holiday

SG - Vic/FA signing/Sumner

SF - Warren/McDerrmott/Alize

PF - Sabonis/Leaf

C - Turner/Goga

If Russell comes to Indy, no way Indy can bring back Bojan(too much money) with a SG need off the bench.  So either option A or option B.  Option A gives you another all star and equal talent wise to Oladipo.  Option B gives you better depth, a little better 3 pt shooting(Bojan is a better 3 pt shooter than Russell) and can match up better against opponents. 

Option B:

PG - Rubio/Holiday

SF - Bojan/McDerrmott/Alize

PF - Warren/Sabonis/Leaf

C - Turner/Goga

With Vic not expected to return until Dec or Jan, I do not anticipate this team being a Eastern Conference Finals team until 2020-2021 regardless of either option UNLESS Vic comes back Dec or Jan and is truly close to 100% come start of playoffs. If I had to pick one, I would pick Option A, flip Sabonis and 2nd rd picks for a SF/PF that can guard multiple positions, shoot the 3 ball respectable and play solid defense.

Edited by dwtaylor1055

13 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I would very much like to add Russell.  I think getting Russell would be GREAT and add a SG in addition to Russell!  This below would be a top 4 team in the east IMO for sure.

Option A:

PG - Russell/Holiday

SF - Warren/McDerrmott/Alize

PF - Sabonis/Leaf

C - Turner/Goga

If Russell comes to Indy, no way Indy can bring back Bojan(too much money) with a SG need off the bench.  So either option A or option B.  Option A gives you another all star and equal talent wise to Oladipo.  Option B gives you better depth, a little better 3 pt shooting(Bojan is a better 3 pt shooter than Russell) and can match up better against opponents. 

Option B:

PG - Rubio/Holiday

SF - Bojan/McDerrmott/Alize

PF - Warren/Sabonis/Leaf

C - Turner/Goga

With Vic not expected to return until Dec or Jan, I do not anticipate this team being a Eastern Conference Finals team until 2020-2021 regardless of either option UNLESS Vic comes back Dec or Jan and is truly close to 100% come start of playoffs. If I had to pick one, I would pick Option A, flip Sabonis and 2nd rd picks for a SF/PF that can guard multiple positions, shoot the 3 ball respectable and play solid defense.

I just don't see Bojan and Warren being good on the defensive end because neither one can guard a big 4 very effectively.  I also don't see Sabonis and Turner being effective starting especially on the defensive end.  I would love to see us sign Russell and then trade one of Turner or Sabonis for a good stretch PF.

Russell/Holiday

VO/ free agent guard

Warren/McDermott

Trade for PF/Leaf

Turner/Goga

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't see Bojan and Warren being good on the defensive end because neither one can guard a big 4 very effectively.  I also don't see Sabonis and Turner being effective starting especially on the defensive end.  I would love to see us sign Russell and then trade one of Turner or Sabonis for a good stretch PF.

Russell/Holiday

VO/ free agent guard

Warren/McDermott

Trade for PF/Leaf

Turner/Goga

Against most teams Warren can guard the 4. In this day and age against most teams your "4" is defending guys like Draymond Green, Siakam, Marcus Morris, Alfariq Aminu, etc., etc.

There's only a handful of teams, such as Denver with Jokic and Milsap or San Antonio with Aldrigde and Poetl that are bringing out two true big guys in their lineup. So yes, you do did a serviceable big backup in those scenarios, but against most lineups Warren is a really good swiss army knife defensive guy to have at that position. 

• Like 1

Willie Cauley Stein apparently wants out of Sacramento. I wish there was a way to penalize a player in situations like this. What I mean is they don't honor the deal they aren't eligible for supermax deal or whatever it's called. All a player has to do is say he wants a fresh start and poof....an organization who invested a top 6 pick 4 years ago might have nothing to show for it. I know it's never going to happen and probably shouldn't but the NBA has a runaway freight train of a problem with these players forcing teams hands.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Willie Cauley Stein apparently wants out of Sacramento. I wish there was a way to penalize a player in situations like this. What I mean is they don't honor the deal they aren't eligible for supermax deal or whatever it's called. All a player has to do is say he wants a fresh start and poof....an organization who invested a top 6 pick 4 years ago might have nothing to show for it. I know it's never going to happen and probably shouldn't but the NBA has a runaway freight train of a problem with these players forcing teams hands.

Yeah, this one is a ballsy request for a player that is sort of average. He had a great first month of the season and then pretty much struggled the rest of the year. Cauley-Stein really has no leverage whatsoever. Sacramento holds a team option on his contract and his agent is asking Sacramento to decline the option to make him an outright free agent. Why would Sacramento do that? It would basically be letting a top 5 (or was he 6?) walk for absolutely nothing. 

If I’m Sacramento, I’m picking up the qualifying offer to make him a RFA and then tell him he’s welcome to go find a team willing to do a sign and trade, but we’ll only do a deal if it works for us. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, this one is a ballsy request for a player that is sort of average. He had a great first month of the season and then pretty much struggled the rest of the year. Cauley-Stein really has no leverage whatsoever. Sacramento holds a team option on his contract and his agent is asking Sacramento to decline the option to make him an outright free agent. Why would Sacramento do that? It would basically be letting a top 5 (or was he 6?) walk for absolutely nothing. 

If I’m Sacramento, I’m picking up the qualifying offer to make him a RFA and then tell him he’s welcome to go find a team willing to do a sign and trade, but we’ll only do a deal if it works for us. 

Agree all day. Somehow the NBA Owners and Manfred are going to have to get control of this. My fear is the problem is already so far gone they can't. 

• Like 1

I don’t know. His agent publicly stated they are “very, very thankful” for the opportunity the Kings have given him but it’s not working and he needs a fresh start. 

Meanwhile the Kings have and are going through change, Walton was just hired. Now Stein’s 4-year deal is up, he’s about to be a RFA, and he’s looking either for a new team or this is part agent-driven negotiation which goes with the territory. 

He’s inconsistent but a mobile 7-footer who can get out, and while not a primary scorer has shown he can score. He or his agent may be pushing it, but I can’t say I fault him. Sacco has improved as an organization and team recently, but only recently 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don’t know. His agent publicly stated they are “very, very thankful” for the opportunity the Kings have given him but it’s not working and he needs a fresh start. 

Meanwhile the Kings have and are going through change, Walton was just hired. Now Stein’s 4-year deal is up, he’s about to be a RFA, and he’s looking either for a new team or this is part agent-driven negotiation which goes with the territory. 

He’s inconsistent but a mobile 7-footer who can get out, and while not a primary scorer has shown he can score. He or his agent may be pushing it, but I can’t say I fault him. Sacco has improved as an organization and team recently, but only recently 

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you wrote, but the Kings hold all the cards here, and they can’t really get upset if the Kings choose to not let a former lottery pick, who as you said does provide some value, just walk for nothing. 

If I were the Kings I’d submit the qualifying offer to make him an RFA, but then inform the agent that we’d operate in good faith to do a sign and trade if the agent can work one out with a team, but that we’re not letting him walk for no compensation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Not one to frequent this thread, much.  However, I am curious as to all you fans of the NBA feel about this pick :

Nuggets Land High-Upside Center Bol Bol At No. 44, Continuing Opportunistic Draft Strategy

I'll be back to check. 

I was interested in him because he can block shots and shoot from the perimeter but found out his medical wasn’t clean and heard he was down to 208...think he has lost 30lbs since the injury. 

57 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I was interested in him because he can block shots and shoot from the perimeter but found out his medical wasn’t clean and heard he was down to 208...think he has lost 30lbs since the injury. 

Currently, the Nuggets are strong up front.  According to the article, sounds like the Nuggets have no problem with giving Bol time to work on his medical condition.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Currently, the Nuggets are strong up front.  According to the article, sounds like the Nuggets have no problem with giving Bol time to work on his medical condition.

Can't fault them for taking a flyer on Bol at #44 although he's quite possibly a Greg Oden trajectory.  With little risked, I'd roll the dice too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Can't fault them for taking a flyer on Bol at #44 although he's quite possibly a Greg Oden trajectory.  With little risked, I'd roll the dice too.

Agree all day. I was surprised some people actually thought he was mid first material but like you said once you get to the 2nd round I don't see much risk. 

Speaking of Oden. Was watching him yesterday for Ice Cube's Big3 tourney here in Indy. Hard to believe he's only 31. Guy has been on the front page for what feels like 15 years....and still only 31. Shoot he's already lived 2-3 lives and has 2-3 more coming. Just nice to see him on the court. Hopefully he can make the best of these chances.

Edited by Seeking6

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day. I was surprised some people actually thought he was mid first material but like you said once you get to the 2nd round I don't see much risk. 

Speaking of Oden. Was watching him yesterday for Ice Cube's Big3 tourney here in Indy. Hard to believe he's only 31. Guy has been on the front page for what feels like 15 years....and still only 31. Shoot he's already lived 2-3 lives and has 2-3 more coming. Just nice to see him on the court. Hopefully he can make the best of these chances.

Oden looked 31 when he was 6.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Can't believe how many of you Pacer guys are okay with trading Sabonis.  I don't do that for anyything.  He would be virtually untouchable if I was GM.  Not sure if you realize how good he is.

If trading either Sabonis or Myles Turner can net you an all star level type player at a position that you have a need I think you do it.  Goga has potential to be like Jokic in Denver so it makes trading either one of them a little easier.  Goga IMO is a younger Myles Turner(shot blocker, 3 pt shot, mobile, etc). 

However, recently Pritchard did a podcast or interview with DD(sigh) and they are all aboard the Sabonis/Turner tandem.  My thought would be Sabonis needs to become quicker and lighter on his feet when guarding smaller guys on the perimeter.  Turner needs to continue to shoot with confidence and not think twice AND demand the ball to shoot more than 6 to 8 times per game. 

Edited by dwtaylor1055

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Can't believe how many of you Pacer guys are okay with trading Sabonis.  I don't do that for anyything.  He would be virtually untouchable if I was GM.  Not sure if you realize how good he is.

We will have to trade either Turner or Sabonis eventually because I just don't see them be able to play together.  I really like Sabonis but he does need to learn to use his right hand because the Celtics shut him down because they took his left hand away.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We will have to trade either Turner or Sabonis eventually because I just don't see them be able to play together.  I really like Sabonis but he does need to learn to use his right hand because the Celtics shut him down because they took his left hand away.

If Sabonis can defend better, you can have Myles play the 4 and Sabonis at the 5.  Myles is a power forward type of player in a centers body(prefers outside shooting, doesn't like to bang down low, and not the greatest post up game).  Myles can recover a lot better than Sabonis can, he recovered quite well multiple times during this past season from the perimeter. 

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If Sabonis can defend better, you can have Myles play the 4 and Sabonis at the 5.  Myles is a power forward type of player in a centers body(prefers outside shooting, doesn't like to bang down low, and not the greatest post up game).  Myles can recover a lot better than Sabonis can, he recovered quite well multiple times during this past season from the perimeter. 

But Turner is a great rim protector so you don't want him outside guarding a stretch 4 at the 3 point line.  If you put Turner out side on defense he would get killed by quicker forwards all day long.