NBA Thread

Its all but certain that if Bojan returns to Indy that Rubio will be in Indiana as the PG until Aaron Holiday is ready to start.  What is the P's next move after those two?  There is a void to fill at SG until Vic returns, then sliding to backup SG when Vic is ready to start.  I have not seen where the Pacers have expressed interest in ANY shooting guards.  Only guys I have seen the Pacers linked to via social media by very respectable guys with NBA insight are the following below.  Feel free to add to the list as you see on social media whom the Pacers have interest in. 

Pacers interest according to reputable NBA sources(Wojo type of sources not regular John Does that think they know something when they are just mentioning Indiana due to our salary cap situation):

SF - Bojan

PG - D'Angelo Russell

PG - Ricky Rubio

PF - Tobias Harris(I only saw 1 mention from a respectable NBA source about Harris but this was before the draft so with drafting Goga does that cancel their interest who knows, other three above have been mentioned by more than 1 respectable NBA source). 

Edited by dwtaylor1055

47 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Its all but certain that if Bojan returns to Indy that Rubio will be in Indiana as the PG until Aaron Holiday is ready to start.  What is the P's next move after those two?  There is a void to fill at SG until Vic returns, then sliding to backup SG when Vic is ready to start.  I have not seen where the Pacers have expressed interest in ANY shooting guards.  Only guys I have seen the Pacers linked to via social media by very respectable guys with NBA insight are the following below.  Feel free to add to the list as you see on social media whom the Pacers have interest in. 

Pacers interest according to reputable NBA sources(Wojo type of sources not regular John Does that think they know something when they are just mentioning Indiana due to our salary cap situation):

SF - Bojan

PG - D'Angelo Russell

PG - Ricky Rubio

PF - Tobias Harris(I only saw 1 mention from a respectable NBA source about Harris but this was before the draft so with drafting Goga does that cancel their interest who knows, other three above have been mentioned by more than 1 respectable NBA source). 

The Pacers received 4 future 2nd round draft picks on draft night so I would package a couple of them to Houston for Eric Gordon.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The Pacers received 4 future 2nd round draft picks on draft night so I would package a couple of them to Houston for Eric Gordon.

If they take 2 2nd rounders for EJ, I'll send you a $25 gift card of your choice just for speaking that crazy idea into existence.  Who else can we get for basically nothing?  Wonder if Denver would give us Gary Harris for 3 2nd Rounders?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Are you suggesting diminished trade value and they would take me up on my offer?

Just here for informational purposes.

After an injury plagued season, Gary Harris is struggling to finish at the rim - Denver Stiffs

I don't follow the NBA. However, I do follow our home town team.

Edited by milehiiu

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

If they take 2 2nd rounders for EJ, I'll send you a $25 gift card of your choice just for speaking that crazy idea into existence.  Who else can we get for basically nothing?  Wonder if Denver would give us Gary Harris for 3 2nd Rounders?

Well other teams know that the Rockets have to get rid of salaries to get Butler so they are not going to get top value for their players.

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Question for those that follow NBA very closely and understand contracts. If Houston is serious in wanting to bring Jimmy Butler in could they potentially ask Pacers to be part of 3 team trade to get salary relief? Possibly sending Gordon to Pacers where he could play 2 until Vic returns? Somebody just tweeted this out and thought it was a good point. Pacers need shooting. Have a need at 2 guard until Vic returns. 

Am I crazy, or does the idea of a CP3/Harden/Butler lineup sound like a disaster waiting to happen? I know they're shooting for a "Big 3" approach like KG/Pierce/Allen or LBJ/Wade/Bosh, but are the 3 of them the right 3? The other 6 that I mentioned are mostly (if not definitely) team focused. Say what you want about LeBron's ego, he can and will get everyone on the court involved.

CP3 could work in a model like that. Harden may or may not have that mentality, but he's not effective without a huge amount of touches. And Butler has had some attitude problems in the past, and D'Antoni isn't known as a disciplinarian.

Who knows. Maybe CP3 and Butler develop a 2 man game with Harden as a decoy. Maybe a relaxed approach gets Butler to buy in completely. But I really wonder if there's enough touches and ego room for all 3.

• Like 1

You’re not crazy (well, on this 😁). It may or may not work, if it were to happen (and Philli hasn’t given any indication).

Butler is all about getting paid, as in max for max number of years and he’s turning 30 I think so which team is willing to pay him long term will win him. I think he’s a proven locker room cancer and wouldn’t want him on my team, but he did play very well for Philly in the playoffs. In Houston Harden and CPIII wouldn’t tolerate his BS and they are strong personalities, so it just might work - he can’t intimidate them. Then again it could blow up in a major way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Am I crazy, or does the idea of a CP3/Harden/Butler lineup sound like a disaster waiting to happen? I know they're shooting for a "Big 3" approach like KG/Pierce/Allen or LBJ/Wade/Bosh, but are the 3 of them the right 3? The other 6 that I mentioned are mostly (if not definitely) team focused. Say what you want about LeBron's ego, he can and will get everyone on the court involved.

CP3 could work in a model like that. Harden may or may not have that mentality, but he's not effective without a huge amount of touches. And Butler has had some attitude problems in the past, and D'Antoni isn't known as a disciplinarian.

Who knows. Maybe CP3 and Butler develop a 2 man game with Harden as a decoy. Maybe a relaxed approach gets Butler to buy in completely. But I really wonder if there's enough touches and ego room for all 3.

Not only that but you have to gut your whole team. The heart of that team is Tucker and the guy that takes them from good to great when he is on is Gordon. Then no rim protector in Capella? He might be over paid but he is key to their having any semblance of a defense at all. They would be better off running the same team back who only lost to GS then to create the most mismatch team in the nba. I do think they need another wing defender especially to go up against Lebron but they have two ball dominant players...why get rid of your depth to land another ball dominant malcontent.

• Like 1

Just a thought on what Pacers would give up to get Gordon. If they believe with him and a healthy Vic (after January 1st) they are better than this year's team I'd say offer up next year 1st round choice. Assuming we improve that pick would be in the 20's....I'd take what I know we're getting in Eric Gordon vs the unknown of a 1st round pick in the 20's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a thought on what Pacers would give up to get Gordon. If they believe with him and a healthy Vic (after January 1st) they are better than this year's team I'd say offer up next year 1st round choice. Assuming we improve that pick would be in the 20's....I'd take what I know we're getting in Eric Gordon vs the unknown of a 1st round pick in the 20's.

To add to this, the Rockets are rumored to be shopping those guys for 1st round picks to flip to Philly in the sign and trade for Butler. So it would depend on if they think/know that Philly would want our pick.

• Like 1

I doubt we see this because its sounding more like this is going to be a gap year for the Pacers with Oladipo being out for half of it, meaning our pick is going to be a little more valuable.

Cavet,  Durant and Irving to nets as being highly suspected this morning.  Bring in Russell on an aggressive gamble, trade for EJ,  package one of the bigs and push the chips in.  Screw the cap finally and bring Bojan back too.  Let's go.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

The heads are talking Kemba to Boston.  Pretty good consolation after losing Kyrie, actually I would call it a net improvement factoring chemistry.  Wonder if Horford would stick around if they offered 4 or 5 years now?  @BGleas

I'm 99% sure that the Celtics would have to renounce Horford to make room for Kemba, so I don't think signing Kemba and keeping Horford is a possibility, though it would be a win for the offseason for sure. I think Kyrie is technically the better, more efficient player, but what Kemba brings in terms of being a good teammate, leadership, intangibles, etc., in my opinion would make him an upgrade over Kyrie, potentially a significant one.  

The issue with signing Kemba is that the Celtics would have to also renounce Rozier, Morris and Thies. So now you're looking at a pretty thing team with zero proven bigs on the roster and not much of a bench outside of the rooks. Of course Danny wouldn't be finished, so there would be more dominoes to fall. The Celtics have been linked to Capela, so maybe they could make a move with Houston there or as the 3rd team in a Philly-Houston Butler trade. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think EJ would be a great fit with the Pacers -- and to see two former IU stars playing for the P's would be cool for sure.

Have been watching EJ in Houston -- he's finally past the injury bug that plagued him for years, he's explosive again -- his burst to the rim is something to watch, rips through traffic and hammers it down with authority -- and he's a decent outside shooter who can get hot fast. He does not demand the ball, plays very well as a complimentary, off-ball scorer, which would fit well with Vic. Not a strong defender individually, but plays within pretty good team D (the Rockets' D has been much better). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd be in for getting Gordon but I'm not giving up a first. He will be a free agent after the year and could just as easily walk. Given we won't have Vic for most of the year and we likely will change up our team quite a bit I don't take a chance of giving up a pick unless it's lottery protected. I'd offer multiple 2's....otherwise just sign Gordon when he is a free agent next offseason.

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

The heads are talking Kemba to Boston.  Pretty good consolation after losing Kyrie, actually I would call it a net improvement factoring chemistry.  Wonder if Horford would stick around if they offered 4 or 5 years now?  @BGleas

That's potentially a great fit....because they lack shooting and shot creation. They still need a true PG...but you could go after a guy like Joseph to help your defense and he can guard both 1's and 2's. Who knows...maybe they can convince Jordan that if he is going to lose Kemba to do a sign and trade for Heyward or a 3 team deal...which would allow you to keep cap space open for another max player. Whatever they do they have a glut at the 3 if they bring in Kemba...because they already have Tatum on the wing as well and then you have Brown and Heyward too. They will have to move somebody as Kemba isn't playing the point.

Edited by dgambill

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That's potentially a great fit....because they lack shooting and shot creation. They still need a true PG...but you could go after a guy like Joseph to help your defense and he can guard both 1's and 2's. Who knows...maybe they can convince Jordan that if he is going to lose Kemba to do a sign and trade for Heyward or a 3 team deal...which would allow you to keep cap space open for another max player. Whatever they do they have a glut at the 3 if they bring in Kemba...because they already have Tatum on the wing as well and then you have Brown and Heyward too. They will have to move somebody as Kemba isn't playing the point.

He's played the point his entire career? He's not a guy that's going to average 11apg, but he has been Charlotte's main ball handler pretty much his entire career and if he comes to Boston he would be the main ball hander for the Celtics too. He's a score first point guard, much like Kyrie, but he is a point guard. Difference with Kyrie is that Kemba is actually a good teammate/locker room guy.