NBA Thread

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Gleas, how you feeling about the C's moves so far? Expectation for other Boston moves this summer - going into the season?

Seems like it's getting crazy every off season now. 

One thing remains constant though -- the Knicks are self-destructing.

Looks like the Celtics singed Enas Kanter

• Like 1

Gleas, how you feeling about the C's moves so far? Expectation for other Boston moves this summer - going into the season?

New York Knicks destroy the claim that only big markets get free agents. They had two max openings and ended up with Portis and Randle lol. How many years did the Clippers waste away. Poorly run teams no matter the market aren’t going to win free agents over...cheap teams aren’t going to...yes there are some small markets that will have to work a little harder or be more creative but they can still make big moves.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Still in wait/see mode. I think more moves are coming for the Celtics. I like the Kemba move because I think his intangibles (good teammate, leadership, plays hard, etc.) make him an upgrade over Kyrie. So, I’m excited to see Kemba with the other guys. But losing Horford hurts, though I wouldn’t give him $100M+ at his age either. 

While we’re thin on inside right now, I like that they’ve trimmed the roster a bit. The Celtics just had too many guys last year, now it’s clear who is in what role. 

Ultimatelty for now the Celtics ceiling is basically based on how good Tatum and Brown, Tatum in particular, end up being. You’re not winning a title with Kemba as your best player, but if Tatum develops into a star (still a sizable if), Brown just shy of all-star caliber and Hayward returns close to form, along with Kemba, that’s a pretty strong core  

The Celtics will also be positioned to make more moves during the season. Still have that Memphis pick and between Kanter and Yabusele they’ll have about $13M is salary they can trade. Still pretty good flexibility. 

55 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Still in wait/see mode. I think more moves are coming for the Celtics. I like the Kemba move because I think his intangibles (good teammate, leadership, plays hard, etc.) make him an upgrade over Kyrie. So, I’m excited to see Kemba with the other guys. But losing Horford hurts, though I wouldn’t give him $100M+ at his age either. 

While we’re thin on inside right now, I like that they’ve trimmed the roster a bit. The Celtics just had too many guys last year, now it’s clear who is in what role. 

Ultimatelty for now the Celtics ceiling is basically based on how good Tatum and Brown, Tatum in particular, end up being. You’re not winning a title with Kemba as your best player, but if Tatum develops into a star (still a sizable if), Brown just shy of all-star caliber and Hayward returns close to form, along with Kemba, that’s a pretty strong core  

The Celtics will also be positioned to make more moves during the season. Still have that Memphis pick and between Kanter and Yabusele they’ll have about $13M is salary they can trade. Still pretty good flexibility. 

Celtics still have room to land another difference maker. What would you think of Cousins? They are going to need another big to go against Philly. With Kyrie and Rozier both gone they probably can’t rely on Edwards to back up the point so a backup point guard or do you think Smart can play that role. They have plenty of wings. Do you want them to bring back Morris to play the 4? I definitely don’t think they are done. I think they make at least one big trade whether it’s in the offseason or during the regular season.

Edited by dgambill

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

They've also got the equivalent of a talented chef for a head coach: Get him some quality ingredients, doesn't necessarily matter what, and he'll make something good out of them.

• Like 1

As of 7/2, lets look at how the playoff teams from 2018-2019 in the East have faired thus far into the 2019-2020 offseason without the addition of rookies.  Teams outside of the playoffs last season that I think will jump into the 2019-2020 playoffs will be the Hawks.  I think the Pistons fall out and the Hawks replace them. 

Nets - Key Adds Garrett Temple, DeAndre Jordan, Irving, Durant.  Key Loses D'Angelo Russell, DeMarre Carroll, Ed Davis

Boston - Key Adds Ernes Kanter, Kemba Walker.  Key loses Irving, Horford and Rozier

Pacers - Key Adds Jeremy Lamb, Malcom Brogdon, TJ Warren.  Key loses Thad, Bojan, Collison, CoJo

76ers - Key Adds O'Quinn, Horford.  Key loses Redick and Butler

Bucks - Key Adds Robin Lopez, Wes Mathews.  Key loses Brogdon.

Orlando - Key Adds Aminu.  Key loses

Pistons - Key Adds Rose.  Key loses Ellington, Ish Smith

Raptors - Key Adds TBD. Key loses potentially Leonard, Danny Green, Jeremy Lin

On paper right now for the teams above the Nets, Pacers and Bucks are winners right now according to a lot of people in the league or analysts.  The losers are possibly the Raptors(Leonard outcome will determine if they are losers or winners), 76ers(IMO losing Redick really hurts and Butler too even though he is a major headache the guy can score and play good defense) and MAYBE Boston with losing Irving(depending how you view Irving compared to Kemba) and Horford.  Not messing with the West since my favorite team is in the East lol

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

A fair and good take, imo.

i’d drag out the addition by subtraction line too — C’s are better without Kyrie playing Alpha Dog. Kemba (whose name my phone tried to make Jenna) is a much better fit and a hell of a player, still underrated imo. I agree he probably can’t be your best to win a title, but that core is looking good again and agree it’s an iff but think Tatum will become the guy. He was so good before Kyrie’s arrival and is still so early in his career.

12 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

As of 7/2, lets look at how the playoff teams from 2018-2019 in the East have faired thus far into the 2019-2020 offseason without the addition of rookies.  Teams outside of the playoffs last season that I think will jump into the 2019-2020 playoffs will be the Hawks.  I think the Pistons fall out and the Hawks replace them. 

Nets - Key Adds Garrett Temple, DeAndre Jordan, Irving, Durant.  Key Loses D'Angelo Russell, DeMarre Carroll, Ed Davis

Boston - Key Adds Ernes Kanter, Kemba Walker.  Key loses Irving, Horford and Rozier

Pacers - Key Adds Jeremy Lamb, Malcom Brogdon, TJ Warren.  Key loses Thad, Bojan, Collison, CoJo

On paper right now for the teams above the Nets, Pacers and Bucks are winners right now according to a lot of people in the league or analysts.  The losers are possibly the Raptors(Leonard outcome will determine if they are losers or winners), 76ers(IMO losing Redick really hurts and Butler too even though he is a major headache the guy can score and play good defense) and MAYBE Boston with losing Irving(depending how you view Irving compared to Kemba) and Horford.  Not messing with the West since my favorite team is in the East lol

Nice summary. 

I think the Sixers are better. Losing Reddick is a blow for sure, need outside shooting, but imo Horford will help Embiid both on and off the floor, their D is good, and Horford can bring major offensive games with his D. Butler’s style also can be a problem as he doesn’t space the floor. Have to think the Sixers are still looking for shooting 

Pacers look really good. If Vic comes back strong I think they’re in the mix, top 3.

Tend to think Kawhi stays and it’s another Bucks-Toronto slug fest.

also tend to think the Nets with Kyrie out front will have problems 

• Like 1

A fair and good take, imo.

i’d drag out the addition by subtraction line too — C’s are better without Kyrie playing Alpha Dog. Kemba (whose name my phone tried to make Jenna) is a much better fit and a hell of a player, still underrated imo. I agree he probably can’t be your best to win a title, but that core is looking good again and agree it’s an iff but think Tatum will become the guy. He was so good before Kyrie’s arrival and is still so early in his career.

Yes, I'm a huge fan of the Kemba vs. Kyrie move. Kyrie is a headcase and a mess. Kemba, while maybe slightly less efficient, is a great teammate and leader and much more consistent with his effort. The only issue with the move is that it's actually more Kemba vs. Kyrie/Horford than just Kemba vs. Kyrie. I'm glad the Celtics didn't give Horford 4 years at $100M+, that will eventually be a bad contract for the Sixers, but at the same time Horford was so important to the Celtics and now the Celtics are super thin/young upfront, though I'm sure Danny isn't done yet. 

I'm really excited to see what Tatum and Brown do next year, especially Tatum. He does have star potential, and while last season was a bit of a struggle for him, people have to remember how he dominated at times in the playoffs as a rookie which almost never happens, and that wasn't just in the first round against an 8 seed, he dominated at times in the ECF against LeBron. He didn't back down at all, remember that play where he dunked on LeBron and gave him a little shove in the 4th quarter of Game 5 (I think Game 5?). 

The Celtics still need to add a big and some guard depth. I think Celtics fans realize next year is most likely a team that's probably around 4-5 in the East, but not a true contender, but at the same time fans are way more excited to watch this team. The guys are way more likeable, the roles are defined, and everyone is excited for Tatum and Brown to finally have the space to grow and show how good they can potentially be. 

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

With Philly, resigning Harris tips the scales a little towards the positive though.  Same theory but twice the impact if Toronto resigns Leonard.

Nice summary. 

I think the Sixers are better. Losing Reddick is a blow for sure, need outside shooting, but imo Horford will help Embiid both on and off the floor, their D is good, and Horford can bring major offensive games with his D. Butler’s style also can be a problem as he doesn’t space the floor. Have to think the Sixers are still looking for shooting 

Pacers look really good. If Vic comes back strong I think they’re in the mix, top 3.

Tend to think Kawhi stays and it’s another Bucks-Toronto slug fest.

also tend to think the Nets with Kyrie out front will have problems 

I'm not sure on the Sixers yet, kind of wait/see on them as well. Their lineup is just so weird. They have no guards, very little shooting and almost no depth, but there is a ton of talent in their top 5. I think they're a little mis-matched. IMO Horford's advantage is playing the 5 spot where his perimeter oriented game exploits most centers, so not sure how he fits next to Embiid playing the 5, especially since Embiid likes to roam around the perimeter too. The win for the Sixers is that Horford is maybe the best in the league at defending Embiid, so they've taken that away from the Celtics. 

I also think with Simmons, while he's a great ball handler and passer, where he exploits those traits is by playing a point forward role out of the 4 spot, but now he's basically the Sixers actual point guard. I'm just not sure how the pieces fit. I could see them exploiting a lot of teams with their size and length, but also getting bogged down offensively with little shooting and no speed/guards. 

I'm in wait/see mode with the Pacers too. I definitely really, really like their moves, and think they have a chance to be a real problem in the East, especially come 2020-21 when Vic is fully healthy. Next season will be interesting as they wait for Vic. I'm a big Brogdon fan, but can he make the leap from one of the best role players in the league to being 'the guy'? I realize the Pacers will be a 'sum of the parts is greater than the whole' type of team the first few months, as they have a lot of guys that can play, but the first few months of the season who is the guy that takes over come the 4th quarter in close games? 

Again, I LOVE Brogdon's game, attitude, everything he brings, but can Brogdon be the second best player on a Finals team? Similar to the Celtics where I love Kemba, is Vic good enough to be the best player on a Finals team in a league where you almost have to have a Kawhi, Durant, LeBron, Curry, Kobe, Garnett, Duncan, etc. to get there?

If Kawhi goes to the Lakers, I think the answer is yes for the Pacers, especially in 2020-21. If Kawhi stays in Toronto I think the answer is probably no for both the Celtics and the Pacers. Again, both top 3-5 teams in the East, but I don't see a Finals appearance as currently constituted. 

• Like 1

By the way, I hate the Lakers so much that as a Celtics fan I'd rather Kawhi stay in Toronto even if that makes it harder for the Celtics, than he go to the Lakers. I'd also hate it for the balance of power in the NBA. If Kawhi stays in Toronto or even goes to the Clippers (looking less and less likely) next NBA season has a chance to be one of the most wide-open in a long, long time, maybe ever. 

In the East you'd have the Raptors, Bucks, Sixers, Pacers and Celtics all with varying chances, and in the West you'd have the Nuggets, Jazz, Lakers, Warriors, Thunder, etc., all with varying chances. It would be such an exciting season with so many viable teams with chances to make noise. 

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

With all the moves this week for the Pacers they are now the 4th youngest team in the NBA so there will be a lot of growing pains along the way.

Why? They're only going to play two players who don't have significant NBA experience (AH and ES).. and they both spent 3 years in college and are in their 2nd and 3rd years. They have plenty of experience and are still young. Its impressive. 

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

With all the moves this week for the Pacers they are now the 4th youngest team in the NBA so there will be a lot of growing pains along the way.

Age wise yes they are 4th youngest however they still have a good chunk of experience.  But I respectfully disagree about a lot of growing pains.  Maybe the first few weeks becoming familiar with new teammates their will be some pains learning each other, however when you look at the players on team a lot of them have been in the league more than 4 years or at least are entering their 4th year.  Myles, Victor, McDermott, Lamb, Sabonis, Brogden and Warren are all entering at a min their 4th year in the league.  Only guys under 3 years or at a min are entering their 3rd year would be Alize, Leaf, Holiday, Sumner and Goga. 

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Age wise yes they are 4th youngest however they still have a good chunk of experience.  But I respectfully disagree about a lot of growing pains.  Maybe the first few weeks becoming familiar with new teammates their will be some pains learning each other, however when you look at the players on team a lot of them have been in the league more than 4 years or at least are entering their 4th year.  Myles, Victor, McDermott, Lamb, Sabonis, Brogden and Warren are all entering at a min their 4th year in the league.  Only guys under 3 years or at a min are entering their 3rd year would be Alize, Leaf, Holiday, Sumner and Goga. 

hopefully they can bring in a couple of more bench players because right now I don't think the bench can compete right now.

Holiday

Summner

McDermott

Leag

Goga