NBA Thread

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's fair.. and I agree with that. Lamb moves to the bench, Warren/Turner/Dom all rotate at backup 4 position.. I think it becomes a strength later on. 

That's fair too, though it will depend on how players develop before I'd say strength. Adequate? Sure. To me strength means you'd have a clear advantage against most teams. 

1 minute ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Currently the Pacers(Nates lets be honest here) 9 man rotation as I type this:

Guards - Brogdon, Victor, Holiday, Lamb

Forwards - Warren, McDerrmott, Sabonis, Turner, Goga or Leaf

Sumner, Alize, one of Leaf or Goga will not get too many meaningful minutes.  Nate likes a 9 man rotation, especially in the Playoffs.  If the Pacers do not make any other changes or experience any major injuries this season my 9 man rotation is: Starters - Brogdon/Vic/Warren/Sabonis/Turner......Bench Holiday/Lamb/McDermott/Goga

Problem with that is that you have VO in their and he won't be in the rotation until at least January.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Problem with that is that you have VO in their and he won't be in the rotation until at least January.

while Vic is out:

Guards - Brogdon, Lamb, Holiday, Sumner/add another SG/SF combo guy

Forwards - Warren, McDermott, Sabonis, Turner, Goga or Leaf. 

Pacers must really believe Sumner can be something off the bench in bench minutes.  I see the next move being a SG/SF if in free agency which would compete as the 4th guard with Sumner until Vic returns. 

IF a move is made, they will move Sabonis at trade deadline for a true PF that can stretch the floor. 

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 1

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

while Vic is out:

Guards - Brogdon, Lamb, Holiday, Sumner/add another SG/SF combo guy

Forwards - Warren, McDermott, Sabonis, Turner, Goga or Leaf. 

Pacers must really believe Sumner can be something off the bench in bench minutes.  I see the next move being a SG/SF if in free agency which would compete as the 4th guard with Sumner until Vic returns. 

I see a need to sign a 2 and a stretch 4

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

right now with their remaining money I think you have to do either or, won't be able to get two quality guys without someone being traded

I am hoping eventually they will trade one of Turner or Sabonis because I don't see those fitting well together in the lineup.  If you package one of them with Holiday I think you could get a very good player back

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am hoping eventually they will trade one of Turner or Sabonis because I don't see those fitting well together in the lineup.  If you package one of them with Holiday I think you could get a very good player back

I love Sabonis but of the 2 you’d have to trade him.  Turners rim protection is second to none.  I still think Turner has a higher ceiling that we won’t see until he’s under a different head coach.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers won't trade Holiday unless they are absolutely blown away with an amazing offer. 

12 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I love Sabonis but of the 2 you’d have to trade him.  Turners rim protection is second to none.  I still think Turner has a higher ceiling that we won’t see until he’s under a different head coach.

I agree with this statement above.  I see Sabonis on his way out near trade deadline.  If Goga comes in and shines, then we are having a different discussion.  Goga is an almost exact replica of Turner from what scouts have said(mobile, 3 pt shooter, rim protector, etc)

21 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Pacers won't trade Holiday unless they are absolutely blown away with an amazing offer. 

I agree with this statement above.  I see Sabonis on his way out near trade deadline.  If Goga comes in and shines, then we are having a different discussion.  Goga is an almost exact replica of Turner from what scouts have said(mobile, 3 pt shooter, rim protector, etc)

I would package those for a really good young PF like Karl Anthony Townes

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

So when Kawhi announces for Lakers are we assuming Lakers replace GSW next year as favorites out West? Anyone else going to be able to top Lebron, Davis, and Kawhi?

I don't think it happens -- and hope it doesn't -- see no reason for Kawhi to team up with LBJ, and he didn't grow up a Lakers fan.

If it does, well, probably. Kuzma deserves mention here, those 3 with Kuzma are a force, but who else will be on the team? They have a lot of building/filling in open spots to do, and then there's the question whether LBJ and for that matter AD can stay healthy (and does LBJ go back to playing D?). 

Rockets and Nuggets, and maybe Thunder are probably right there. The media would gush all over the Lakers -- just like they did, laughingly, in predicting the Lakers to the top  of the playoffs this past year. Lakers would be at least one of the favorites, but hard to say until the team is actually built, imo.

15 hours ago, BGleas said:

Define 'blown away'? It's not like Holiday is fetching an all-star in return. 

When the Griz asked for Holiday plus picks for Conley, the pacers said no because they didn't want to part with Holiday, Conley is still one of the top point guards in the league even though he is on the way down.  When they did dangle Aaron Holiday at one point for Aaron Gordon the Magic were highly considering it prior to the trade deadline last season but they were able to get Fultz without giving up Aaron Gordon. 

Edited by dwtaylor1055

On 7/1/2019 at 2:18 PM, Zlinedavid said:

I think the answer is that he left some money on the table, but it's not as if he gave Miami a discount either. $35.5M/year in Miami vs $38M/year in Philly.  That's about 6.5% less per year.  However, Florida has 0 state income tax.  The state of Pennsylvania has a flat 3% tax on all income, and the city of Philadelphia is an additional 3.8%.  So for those 4 years, he's even or slightly ahead. 

The 5th year is what he left.  But, this isn't his first big payday.  At the end of this 4 year contract, he'll have made well over $200M.  Maybe he values the flexibility for the last year or two in his career, if he wants to go after a ring should he not win one in Miami.  Maybe it's worth $30M to him to spend 2/3rds of the year in Miami vs Philly; he can afford to pay for a choice like that.  Maybe he's still playing at a level to warrant more than just the minimum.  If he's a year younger, maybe he gets a team to go for a few years longer instead of just the vet minimum. 

Not exactly even or slightly ahead due to the fact that half of the games are played on the road and taxed by that location/state's. Gets even more complicated since they don't play the same schedule (more games vs. ORL helps MIA, more games vs. NY teams hurts PHI), but your overall is valid that the 6.5% difference is pretty dramatically reduced living in FL. I threw it together quickly on a SS and found that the tax rate would have to be 97% in the road games with the same schedule for it to break even.

PHI  Tax %  Tax   MIA  Tax %  Tax 
   19.00 10.00%      1.90    17.75 10.00%      1.78
   19.00 6.80%      1.29    17.75 0.00%           -  
   38.00        3.19    35.50        1.78
  After tax    34.81        33.73
  Dif      1.08      

PHI  Tax %  Tax   MIA  Tax %  Tax 
   19.00 97.00%    18.43    17.75 97.00%    17.22
   19.00 6.80%      1.29    17.75 0.00%           -  
   38.00      19.72    35.50      17.22
  After tax    18.28        18.28
  Dif    (0.00)      

Edited by cybergates

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If Holiday is such a stud and Sabonis or Turner should be a good starting point to discussions

Have you even looked at Towns avgs? It would take literally the house to get him. 

It would take every bit of what Pels got for AD to give up Towns. Maybe even more, honestly. 

Maybe your trade scenarios work in 2K, they don't in the real world. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No lol 

The timing doesn't work out right now for Towns, but if the Pacers can acquire some draft picks, I honestly don't know what their pick situation is, and if Holiday is a stud as you say, then the Pacers would have the assets to be competitive for the next star that becomes available on the trade market. 

Again if Holiday shows signs of development a package of Sabonis, Holiday, contract filler and picks would be competitive in the trade market for a star. 

Edited by BGleas

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If Holiday is such a stud and Sabonis or Turner should be a good starting point to discussions

The difference is that KAT is the man. He was the #1 draft pick, then rookie of the year. He just finished averaging 24 and 12, and shot 40% from the arc, and is already a two-time all star. He's a central piece. 

When looking at trades we tend to favor our guys and our team. Have to look at the other team and who they would realistically want in return. There's just no reason they would trade KAT. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The difference is that KAT is the man. He was the #1 draft pick, then rookie of the year. He just finished averaging 24 and 12, and shot 40% from the arc, and is already a two-time all star. He's a central piece. 

When looking at trades we tend to favor our guys and our team. Have to look at the other team and who they would realistically want in return. There's just no reason they would trade KAT. 

I said that would be the starting point but no the whole deal