NBA Thread

32 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Jared Dudley is one of those guys—like Malcolm Brogdon—who plays the game the right way.  Smart, team oriented, sound, well rounded, winner.  I hoped Juwan could turn into that type of player but his shooting and handle need to skyrocket.  

No reason that Juwan can't still do what you're saying.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding the 76ers, their moves are fascinating. Horford with Embiid should work great. Not only can both play off each other (they can both post and stretch) but Horford can give quality when Embiid is on the bench which was a real problem last year.  They paid something like an eye popping $180 million for Tobias Harris who’s a quality starter.  Yes, they lost Butler but Josh Richardson has been very highly regarded and probably underrated.  They do lose shooting at the guard position which causes problems with stretching the defense out.  So, all told, we don’t know how it will work, whether it’s neutral or a plus.  I think the straw that will stir the drink is Simmons.  Right now, it’s a real handicap that the defense can lay off of him.  If he can meet expectations, that will be the key point for them IMO.

The playoffs in the East may be a flat out war next year, which is good for the game. 

The interesting thing to me about the Sixers now is just how huge their starting lineup will be.  They’re going to start Simmons (6’10), Richardson (6’6), Harris (6’9), Horford (6’10), and Embiid (7’0).  That is just an absolutely massive lineup.  The lack of shooting and depth will be a problem, but they will be pretty scary on defense.

• Thanks 1

Thought it was funny that Kyle Kuzma liked this considering they have 4 people on the team at the moment.  Explain to me,  if the Lakers do get Khawi, how much are they then allowed to spend to fill out the roster?  I didn't think they were allowed to go over the cap to sign a max guy.  Is it once they have signed a max, then they can go over the cap?

Screenshot_20190704-171948.png

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The interesting thing to me about the Sixers now is just how huge their starting lineup will be.  They’re going to start Simmons (6’10), Richardson (6’6), Harris (6’9), Horford (6’10), and Embiid (7’0).  That is just an absolutely massive lineup.  The lack of shooting and depth will be a problem, but they will be pretty scary on defense.

That team desperately lacks shooting. They have a lot of work to do. I imagine they make more moves or especially at the trade deadline. Can we trade them McDermott?? Lol

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Thought it was funny that Kyle Kuzma liked this considering they have 4 people on the team at the moment.  Explain to me,  if the Lakers do get Khawi, how much are they then allowed to spend to fill out the roster?  I didn't think they were allowed to go over the cap to sign a max guy.  Is it once they have signed a max, then they can go over the cap?

Screenshot_20190704-171948.png

I think they have like a MLE @5.5 million which would be there major signing then rest min contracts other than they can go over cap to re-sign their own that are FA like Rondo and Lance.

8 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

No reason that Juwan can't still do what you're saying.

I think Juwan can improve but he looked lost out there in the game I saw. He doesn’t have 3pt range and he was standing around the arc. He is too small to work in the post and not a good enough shooter for outside just yet. He has to specialize or something. He has intangibles to be a Crowder or Carroll or PJ Tucker but he has a lot of work and effort to get there.

I thought it was interesting the Warriors convinced WCS to join them for minimum. How that works I don’t get it...but they are quietly building a nice team...at least maybe a7-8 seed. If they could just land a legit defensive 3-d wing to guard the Lebrons/Kawhi they might make some noise...especially if Klay comes back late in the year.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Juwan can improve but he looked lost out there in the game I saw. He doesn’t have 3pt range and he was standing around the arc. He is too small to work in the post and not a good enough shooter for outside just yet. He has to specialize or something. He has intangibles to be a Crowder or Carroll or PJ Tucker but he has a lot of work and effort to get there.

Thanks for your observations.  

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

I thought it was interesting the Warriors convinced WCS to join them for minimum. How that works I don’t get it...but they are quietly building a nice team...at least maybe a7-8 seed. If they could just land a legit defensive 3-d wing to guard the Lebrons/Kawhi they might make some noise...especially if Klay comes back late in the year.

The Warriors are better than a 7-8 seed.

Just now, btownqb said:

With Klay out for the majority of the year? 

Yeah - they still have Steph and Dray (who showed he is better without Durant) and they'll either have Russell or whoever they trade him for. WCS was a good signing IMO. I think they're in the middle of the pack as far as playoffs go in the West next year. 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah - they still have Steph and Dray (who showed he is better without Durant) and they'll either have Russell or whoever they trade him for. WCS was a good signing IMO. I think they're in the middle of the pack as far as playoffs go in the West next year. 

I haven't really paid too much attention to who got who (other than the Ps)

But.. Portland, Utah, LA, Denver are all for sure ahead of them. Hou will interesting in what they do. SA and OKC I'd say will be right on the same level with GS, so I'd say there is a chance they could finish 7th. 

21 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Could be, but like btown I think this is up in the air right now and will be for this next season. I can see them missing the playoffs. West next season, in no particular order

Denver

Rockets

Jazz (now looking a lot better)

Portland

Thunder (may have Roberson back, and PG was obviously killing it/they were winning before his shoulder injuries)

Lakers - obviously if they get Kawhi they'll be front runners, still an unknown but just starting with AD and LeBron....

San Antonio

Clippers

Pelicans

Where is GS in this group next season without Durant or Klay? Will be interesting to find out

Btw, welcome back, haven't seen you around in a while

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I haven't really paid too much attention to who got who (other than the Ps)

But.. Portland, Utah, LA, Denver are all for sure ahead of them. Hou will interesting in what they do. SA and OKC I'd say will be right on the same level with GS, so I'd say there is a chance they could finish 7th. 

GS won't beat the Thunder (if healthy) without Klay and Durant.

11 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Could be, but like btown I think this is up in the air right now and will be for this next season. I can see them missing the playoffs. West next season, in no particular order

Denver

Rockets

Jazz (now looking a lot better)

Portland

Thunder (may have Roberson back, and PG was obviously killing it/they were winning before his shoulder injuries)

Lakers - obviously if they get Kawhi they'll be front runners, still an unknown but just starting with AD and LeBron....

San Antonio

Clippers

Pelicans

Where is GS in this group next season without Durant or Klay? Will be interesting to find out

Btw, welcome back, haven't seen you around in a while

Thanks. Not sure if I'm back full-time just yet. I've had an incredibly hectic few months; my company got acquired, then they closed our office a month later and now I'm in the process of relocating to Colorado. But I should be back to a full go sooner than later.

I think the West is wide-open, but the Warriors still have 3 All-Stars. Two of them may be flawed, but one legit superstar and two "fringe" All-Stars is a still a lot to work with. Also, I think there will be more urgency in the regular season for the Warriors than the past few years; I expect them to be in the hunt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Thanks. Not sure if I'm back full-time just yet. I've had an incredibly hectic few months; my company got acquired, then they closed our office a month later and now I'm in the process of relocating to Colorado. But I should be back to a full go sooner than later.

I think the West is wide-open, but the Warriors still have 3 All-Stars. Two of them may be flawed, but one legit superstar and two "fringe" All-Stars is a still a lot to work with. Also, I think there will be more urgency in the regular season for the Warriors than the past few years; I expect them to be in the hunt. 

Best wishes and good luck with the move and changes. You’ve been noticeably missed lately but it’s understandable. 

47 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Best wishes and good luck with the move and changes. You’ve been noticeably missed lately but it’s understandable. 

I appreciate that. I'm actually really happy with how everything has turned out. I got severance and stock options from the old job, found a new job I like just as much (maybe more?) and get to move to Colorado which we've wanted to do for about five years. Short term stress, but long-term really happy about it all. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

And now it’s Kawhi and PG together. Talk about a wacky world 

Kawhi recruited PG. Had no idea Kawhi favored George. Just wild 

Sorry to hear you had to go through an acquisition and hope you are landing on your feet ok — best wishes for your move to Colorado man 

oh wait just read your other post, that sounds like a great move! 

• Like 1

Wow. Didn't see Kawhi choosing Clippers....and I certainly didn't see Paul George getting traded last night. Pretty much shows what the OKC folks thought of the prospects of he and RW playing/working together. 

Master moves by Clippers getting this one done. 

Edited by Seeking6