NBA Thread

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I really hope Vic can come back and play at the same level he was playing at. I was at the game where he got hurt and man you could hear a pin drop. I stopped caring a long time ago that he played at IU because the dude plays his ass off and is a hell of a player for my favorite NBA team. Hoping to a full recovery and hopefully back before Christmas. 

I hope so too. That team can go from good to great with him. Also they should have some nice tradable pieces to get a second star if they choose. I’ve just never seen this kind of injury before to know how anyone recovers from it. It has to effect his explosiveness and his aggressiveness this year but perhaps next he can get back to 100%. 

I too don’t care what school guys went to...Robbie Hummel is still one of my favorite people on tv so I feel you!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Challenge for everyone.

Rank the impact next season of the  4 superstars residing in Los Angeles.  I'm talking about, in no particular order about LeBron, Unibrow, Kawhi, and Paulie George.

Anyone consider LeBron to be #4 in that ranking?

1) kAWAHI

2) AD

3( PG

4) LB

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Challenge for everyone.

Rank the impact next season of the  4 superstars residing in Los Angeles.  I'm talking about, in no particular order about LeBron, Unibrow, Kawhi, and Paulie George.

I'll Play

1. leBron- First full off season and will come out with something to prove

2. Kawhi

3.AD

4.PG

I believe that LBJ will put up career highs. I can't imagine his ego likes all this talk about others being the best on the planet. He will have something to prove. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Challenge for everyone.

1. Kawhi

2. PG

3. Unibrow

4. LeBron 

Assumes PG is fully recovered/healthy after the shoulder surgeries. Unibrow is the better player, but in terms of impact on their respective teams, PG's coming off #2 scorer and lead steals guy, MVP/defensive MVP finalist. Of course, I could be wrong :P LeBron defies time generally, and may prove #1, but I don't think so -- his defensive lapses, lack of effort defensively, and generally slowing at 34-35 years old, I think, will slow him.

Lebron #1 all day.  He has the potential to be mvp, he won't because he will rest, but if he goes full bore when he does play, he's still the greatest.  He wasn't trying last year because it was a waste, not because he no longer has it.  

If it comes to be that LeBron is now old, then his impact will be a great negative, therefore he will still be #1 for lack of impact.  

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Challenge for everyone.

I think Lebron is going to come out on a giant middle finger tour this year because so many chose not to play with him. After that I'll go Kawhi, AD, George.

14 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

That's just how much of an impact he can have.  Maybe I'm living in the past.   If LeBron is the 4th rated player in LA next year, then they will barely make the playoffs.  

So I answered the question, "impact" not rank.  

I wasn’t mocking you I was laughing at your impact as a negative comment👍

On LeBron I just don’t know. He’s the GOAT imo, or tied with Magic and MJ in my mind, but the guy is turning 35, and last season he flat out did not play D.

Did you watch him last season? Offensively he was outstanding until his injury. Defensively he was a joke. I mean really, really bad. You aren’t the number one impact player among those guys playing one way ball.

Kawhi was clearly the best player in the League last year. AD wasn’t in the conversation with the contract - trade issues and missed games. My take on him is he is absolutely a candidate for one of the top players in the game but he is always injured, every year. PG was a legit mvp finalist and defensive mvp finalist and averaged 28 a game. Can LBJ be the most impactful among them? Maybe, maybe not 

On 7/17/2019 at 12:58 PM, 5fouls said:

Challenge for everyone.

I think the bigger challenge is who plays the most games next year? Paul George is a gamer...doesn’t miss much but he also is coming off two shoulder injuries. The other 3 played less than 60 games last year. I don’t think either LA team gets a number 1 seed. The stars take too many games off.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:58 PM, 5fouls said:

Challenge for everyone.

1 - Kawhi Leonard(Best two way player in the league hands down. Elite defense and can score at ease without jacking up 20 shots a game on average.  Shows no emotion which to me he's the silent assassin)

2 - Lebron James(In terms of popularity Lebron today would be #1, however Lebron is getting older BUT still a top 3 player in the game.  Can get to the rim, still has the refs on a leash when he wants too, and defends pretty good when he wants too which is not always the case)

3 - Paul George(Yes his supporting cast in Indy helped him become who he is today and his success with making the playoffs and competing in the playoffs compared to Davis and his supporting cast in the big easy however PG WAS the two way player the Pacers needed to compete with Miami in the conference finals and the playoffs.  The run fell short but it was a good run with PG in Indy).

4- Anthony Davis(He could be the most dominant big in the league if he wanted too, however his supporting cast has hurt him while in New Orleans.  This is why I have him lowest of the four.  He is a hell of a player but I still think he could be even better than he currently is.  He's quiet like Kawhi but not the silent assassin). 

Just my two cents.   

On 7/18/2019 at 10:12 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

I wasn’t mocking you I was laughing at your impact as a negative comment👍

On LeBron I just don’t know. He’s the GOAT imo, or tied with Magic and MJ in my mind, but the guy is turning 35, and last season he flat out did not play D.

Did you watch him last season? Offensively he was outstanding until his injury. Defensively he was a joke. I mean really, really bad. You aren’t the number one impact player among those guys playing one way ball.

Kawhi was clearly the best player in the League last year. AD wasn’t in the conversation with the contract - trade issues and missed games. My take on him is he is absolutely a candidate for one of the top players in the game but he is always injured, every year. PG was a legit mvp finalist and defensive mvp finalist and averaged 28 a game. Can LBJ be the most impactful among them? Maybe, maybe not 

I know, that's why I attempted to further clarify. 

LeBron is a question mark for sure.  35, he's up there.  I'm just not convinced last year had anything to do with age.  We will see.  

Everyone loves Kawhi and has dubbed him the greatest, deservedly so after that playoff performance.  However, if that 4th bounce went off and sixers win, I wonder how different this conversation goes?  Probably not by much.

Remember 2 playoffs ago, Davis looked like he was ready to carry a team, just didn't have enough help.  

To be fair in regards to health and durability,  Kawhi missed an entire season and only played 60 games last season.  So these 4 are hard to gauge, especially comsidering how hot PG got last year.   

I'll also add, Kawhi wasn't even in the mvp conversation.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know, that's why I attempted to further clarify. 

LeBron is a question mark for sure.  35, he's up there.  I'm just not convinced last year had anything to do with age.  We will see.  

Everyone loves Kawhi and has dubbed him the greatest, deservedly so after that playoff performance.  However, if that 4th bounce went off and sixers win, I wonder how different this conversation goes?  Probably not by much.

Remember 2 playoffs ago, Davis looked like he was ready to carry a team, just didn't have enough help.  

To be fair in regards to health and durability,  Kawhi missed an entire season and only played 60 games last season.  So these 4 are hard to gauge, especially comsidering how hot PG got last year.   

I'll also add, Kawhi wasn't even in the mvp conversation.  

All fair points.

Huge year for AD for sure. Yep, he killed it in those playoffs, and for the most part has lacked the level of help he has needed. He’s also injury prone. Hard to gauge for sure, he could end up having a Giannis like year (I think he’s better all around then Giannis, health issues aside). 

On Kawhi, they were deliberately limiting him in his first season back, to ensure his health and availability for the playoffs — that was load management driven, not current injury issues. He’s entering the season 100 percent 

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

All fair points.

Huge year for AD for sure. Yep, he killed it in those playoffs, and for the most part has lacked the level of help he has needed. He’s also injury prone. Hard to gauge for sure, he could end up having a Giannis like year (I think he’s better all around then Giannis, health issues aside). 

On Kawhi, they were deliberately limiting him in his first season back, to ensure his health and availability for the playoffs — that was load management driven, not current injury issues. He’s entering the season 100 percent 

Ad could be a wild card.  Never seen big man control a game like he did in that championship run in college.  And he didn't even score a ton.  

Kawhi was hobbling up and down the floor during the playoffs.  I would imagine he will be fine after an off-season of rest and no word of any other complications.  

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Ad could be a wild card.  Never seen big man control a game like he did in that championship run in college.  And he didn't even score a ton.  

Kawhi was hobbling up and down the floor during the playoffs.  I would imagine he will be fine after an off-season of rest and no word of any other complications.  

He was injured, non-seriously during the playoffs, not an issue going forward 

• Like 1

Justin Holiday to Pacers on a 1 yr deal at approx. $4.3 - $4.8 mil.  A very solid pickup, 3 & D type player that can play either SG or SF.   Depth chart might look like something below with Vic out: 

Starters: Brogdon/Lamb/Warren/Sabonis/Turner

Bench: A. Holiday or McConnell/J. Holiday/McDerrmott/Leaf/Goga

Deep Reserves: Sumner/Bowan(2 way player)

The Pacers have very good depth to help make up for Victor being out for awhile to stay contending within the top 5 IMO.  Yes once Vic returns, Lamb slides to the bench as backup SG.  Then it'd look like this below with Vic back:

Starters: Brogdon/Oladipo/Warren/Sabonis/Turner

Bench: A. Holiday or McConnell/Lamb/J. Holiday or McDerrmott/Leaf/Goga

4 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Justin Holiday to Pacers on a 1 yr deal at approx. $4.3 - $4.8 mil.  A very solid pickup, 3 & D type player that can play either SG or SF.   Depth chart might look like something below with Vic out: 

Starters: Brogdon/Lamb/Warren/Sabonis/Turner

Bench: A. Holiday or McConnell/J. Holiday/McDerrmott/Leaf/Goga

The Pacers have very good depth to help make up for Victor being out for awhile to stay contending within the top 5 IMO.  Yes once Vic returns, Lamb slides to the bench as backup SG.  Then it'd look like this below with Vic back:

Starters: Brogdon/Oladipo/Warren/Sabonis/Turner

Bench: A. Holiday or McConnell/Lamb/J. Holiday or McDerrmott/Leaf/Goga

Very good pickup for the Pacers and I thought I heard they also signed some 7fter that no one had heard of.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Very good pickup for the Pacers and I thought I heard they also signed some 7fter that no one had heard of.

That is correct they did, more so to fill the training invite list and possibly becoming a two way player for Indy.  Brian Bowan is one of the two players currently committed to a two way spot.  The 7 ft center is Amida Brimah. 

If D. Cousins is back to the 25 and 12 player he was  before his achilles injury, might he be the most impactful player of the group.  You kind of know what to expect from main 4. Was last year the new norm or Boogie or an anomaly in regards to him coming back from injury and just filling a role on a team of super stars?

2 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

If D. Cousins is back to the 25 and 12 player he was  before his achilles injury, might he be the most impactful player of the group.  You kind of know what to expect from main 4. Was last year the new norm or Boogie or an anomaly in regards to him coming back from injury and just filling a role on a team of super stars?

Was thinking about Cousins. I don’t see him being back, he definitely wasn’t this year, and as a big that Achilles injury is particularly bad for his game. It’s an interesting 5 for sure, with LeBron running point (he has said he will), and i’d Bet on Boogie having some big games, but for full season and playoffs I don’t see it working 

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know very little about this dude.  Care to give a synopsis?

He’s a journeyman wing. Has played in the D League, for several NBA teams, Hungarian teams, since about 2012. Has a ring (GS 2015). Defensive orientated, but can score from the wing, averages around 10 ppg. He’s a solid bench player whose D should fit in. Not a 3-point shooter (around 34-35 percent). Had some good scoring games with I think it was Memphis last year